10. Eternal Darkness Under Conquered Skies

11. Feeble Existence

Label: Olympic Records
Release date: 2004
Artist site:
http://www.incantation.com/
GRADE:
10/10

When I hear words used to refer to bands like "institution, forefathers" or phrases like "mapping out the blueprint for a scene to come...," one of the bands that comes to mind is INCANTATION. INCANTATION are an insitution of the underground death metal scene and a huge part of death metal history, still relevant to this day. Guitarist/founder/now vocalist John McEntee's integrity to the scene cannot be questioned, one listen to Decimate Christendom will set that record straight. A trio this time around (the band is damn near legendary for lineup changes), which consists of McEntee, drummer Kyle Severn and bassist Joe Lombard. Yes, you read correct, virtually the same lineup as Blasphemy, minus session vocalist Mike Saenz.

The title track opens the wound with feedback and a riff that follows so sickening, that only McEntee could've wrote it. The band sounds really tight, yet loose; in other words, balanced. Severn's drumwork shines once again, he's always taking his craft to new levels. Vocally, it sounds like INCANTATION, McEntee's voice fitting right in. I had no doubts that it would, if you think about it, the demos probably start off a lot of the time with vocal ideas and patterns that he creates. "Dying Divinity" is another riff monster, lasting a little under 3 minutes, blasting its way through your headphones, boring its way into your brain. By this point, "Oath Of Armageddon" will simply crush your soul; the heavy, oppressive beast that it is. This is not for the weak, be warned. Check out that snarling scream at the 1:45 mark! My Satan (God would not be appropriate here), the delicious death metal riffs with juicy drippings of doom equals pure gravy ecstasy!

By the time "Blaspheme The Sacraments" has begun, the band is at their best, weaving in and out of blast beats and sections of doom expertly. With every album they have a song that illustrates them perfectly and this track is that very song. The onslaught continues with "Merciless Tyranny," where Severn shows off his knack for speedy snare fills and pounding double bass. Track 7 comes at the perfect time, one minute of a disturbing, humming sound before another descent into the chaotic maelstrom.

The blackened death the band spews on "Thorns of Everlasting Persecution" is no joke. Check out the breakdown that begins at the 54 second mark and then twists and morphs into something even sicker. This is absolutely one of my favorite INCANTATION songs ever. The bass line that ends "No Paradise Awaits" and permeates "Eternal Darkness Under Conquered Skies," is Geezer Butler on acid, playing doom ridden death metal! The final track, "Feeble Existence," is probably the band at their tightest. Just check out the riffing and the drumming, they are interwoven to create this perfect orchestration of chaos, if that makes any sense to you, the reader.

I think it's safe to say that at this point in the game, INCANTATION are both more relevent and important to the death metal scene than MORBID ANGEL or DEICIDE. From their debut Onward To Golgotha, through all of the lineup changes to the present, INCANTATION has remained consistent. The only thing that would make me wet my pants more than Decimate Christendom would be to witness the band on tour with NILE. That is my wish for 2005.

Extremity at its finest.

PJ