circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Incantation – Decimate Christendom
Olympic Recordings – October 19th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

incantation.jpg

I’d by lying if I said that my past exposures to Incantation were pleasant. “Decimate Christendom,” despite having myriad redeeming qualities, doesn’t do anything for me either.

The chaos begins as soon as you hit play to cue the title track. The first thing I noticed was the raw (read: crappy) production. Certain bands – like Darkthrone for instance – feed and thrive on the lack of polished production; but, most of the time, I like the sound cleaner than Incantation prefers. “Dying Divinity” is speedy, intricate death metal with well-performed vocals. McEntee’s (guitar, vocals) wretchings – though not a departure from standard death vox – are enthralling in an inexplicable way. “Oath of Armageddon” ascertains a solid, sludgy intro; where the band truly succeeds are their slower compositions. However, some of the group’s songs are simply too long. “Blaspheme the Sacraments” resumes the quickened pace, and it’s easy to drift mindlessly as the musicians drone on. In sum, Decimate Christendom is abundant in both positive and negative trance-inducing tracks. “Merciless Tyranny” is actually a fast, intriguing romp because its creativity and atypical traits make it more likeable than anything submitted thus far. The aforementioned track is Incantation at succinct greatness. “Horns of Eradication” has an ever-changing temp, which is precisely why the song falters. “Unholy Empowerment of Righteous Deprivation” fully emphasizes the subpar production due to its direct segue into the bombastic “Thorns of Everlasting Persecution.” “No Paradise Awaits,” “Eternal Darkness Under Conquered Skies,” and “Feeble Existence” – as you may infer – bring the disc to a close.

I’m fairly confident that Decimate Christendom is not uncharacteristic of the band’s past outputs. But, there’s not enough quality here to warrant a purchase. Ultimately, however, if you like them, then you’ll probably warm up to their latest opus. Me? I think I’ll leave Christendom alone for the time being.

6.5/10

Official Incantation website
Official Olympic Recordings website