Indie label CENTURY MEDIA In Talks About Possible Major-Label Acquisition

You and I may have different definitions of "insanely high" but I don't think 3.50 is much different from other distros or online vendors. Amazon actually is higher for shipping (3.99), for example.

Anyway... I'd hate to CM go, between them and Nuclear Blast those are easily the 2 I give most of my money to for music. I've always enjoyed both of their customer service and always enjoy "talking shop" with them at the fest.

$3.50 for one cd is a fair price, thats what i charge my customers.

But for CM it costs $10 to ship 1 LP within the USA via media mail. It actually costs about 3.50. Add the cost of the box and tracking in, okay $5.50.

I am not saying Century Media was planning on reissuing, say, the Despair discography (great classic thrash), but CM would be more likely to do it or license the titles to another label than Sony would.

Sony is actually the best of the options, with regards to licensing. They licensed a bunch of Music for Nations albums to The End shortly after taking control of MfN's catalogue, and they've been known to work fairly extensively with reissue labels for older stuff that they're not interested in putting out themselves. Universal, on the other hand, would be the worst-case scenario.

I doubt it will affect the existence of Inside Out, since it isn't a part of Century Media. It survived SPV going down, and I'm sure they can find another partnership if needed.

I believe Inside Out is owned wholesale by Century at this point. The only reason they actually did survive the SPV fiasco was because Century bailed them out.

It's been a long time hasn't it, boy and girls. I guess I should have logged on here earlier to squash any rumors (at least what I can talk about), but we've been sorta busy here. I will go down this thread later and reply to some rumors, questions, etc tomorrow.

"When you little scamps get together you're worse than a sewing circle."
- Mia Wallace (Pulp Fiction - 1994)

It's been a long time hasn't it, boy and girls. I guess I should have logged on here earlier to squash any rumors (at least what I can talk about), but we've been sorta busy here. I will go down this thread later and reply to some rumors, questions, etc tomorrow.

"When you little scamps get together you're worse than a sewing circle."
- Mia Wallace (Pulp Fiction - 1994)

Definitely interested in this.

Interesting to see that shipping costs are such a concern for many people. I never place an order with Amazon until I have at least enough to buy that I qualify for free shipping (a Prime membership would not be a worthwhile investment for me). Back in the day, I always used to get free shipping with Century Media mailorder too, because I was buying so many CDs back then that my order always exceeded $100 or whatever the threshold was for free shipping. They would also often throw in free promos or other cool stuff with my order. Same with The End Records back in the day. Those were the days. But alas, I hardly ever buy physical media anymore, so I don't know to what degree things may have changed.

And that's just if you buy from Amazon, not the Marketplace sellers, right?
It depends on the seller - some choose to use the Fulfilled By Amazon service, where they send all their stock in to Amazon and let them ship it out (these will all be Prime-eligible), while others choose to just use Amazon's e-commerce platform but do the inventory and shipping themselves (these are not Prime-eligible).

Not surprising all these rumblings. If anything I've seen repeatedly in this biz over the past 28+ years... only change is constant. And few 'industries' would this apply more to than metal. I am impressed though, with some metal labels. Century isn't bad at all, but I guess I like Napalm the best... between the bands they find and the marketing they come up with. Nuclear Blast is interesting too, although it seems to me they lost some steam when they split from C Media. Seasons Of Mist has improved greatly lately. And there are several others. Point being, I wouldn't want the headaches of trying to make an indie metal label work in 2015. It's just too big of a pit to mosh in IMO.

It depends on the seller - some choose to use the Fulfilled By Amazon service, where they send all their stock in to Amazon and let them ship it out (these will all be Prime-eligible), while others choose to just use Amazon's e-commerce platform but do the inventory and shipping themselves (these are not Prime-eligible).

I see many sellers dropping the Fullfilled By Amazon program lately. We passed on it ourselves, too much a hassle unless you have a big enough staff to keep up with it. Which most sellers lack anyway. We'd rather spread the inventory around ourselves on a few sites, and we're not alone. Lotta avenues to sell online without using your own site.

Sorry for the late reply but things have been very busy around these parts. I'm going to go ahead and copy a few quotes and answer what I can without revealing anything that I shouldn't...

"Better snag your favorite CM artists while you can. If this goes through a lot of their catalog will simply disappear.

And when company A gets acquired by company B, you know Some Heads Are Gonna Roll"

- There is no chance the back catalog will simply disappear. In fact, we are still signing more acts for all our family labels. Goes without saying that some people will be let go, but that's only because of repetitive roles. The entire staff isn't being let go.

"Still trying to figure out why this means their catalog will disappear. It looks like a label acquisition would just mean they can run business as usual, just with more capital backing them up. As long as they're still a heavy metal subsidiary, I don't really see what the problem is.

Century Media has been on the "mainstream metal" thing for years now; they're one of the biggest labels in metal and I haven't associated them with something that's super underground in forever. If ever.

All it might mean is that certain bigger non-metal bands might get signed and have albums released by Century Media. Papa Roach might have a CM release right next to the new At the Gates album. So CM loses a little of its metal street cred. I don't know how this means that they'd just dump their whole roster for something else.."

- This! From what we've been told, this acquisition would allow us to do what we do. and do more with the capital backing of a major with way more money. We would stay heavy.

"It's impossible to know what this means for current CM artists and fans. First, it's unknown which of the majors will buy them. Second, even once that's known, it really comes down to which executive they ultimately fall under and how that person wants to manage the new acquisition.

As for CM, they're no longer a label responsible for developing young, quality metal bands. While Their roster still has a good number of talented, established acts, it's been a good while since they discovered a young, high quality band."

- We have a pretty good idea which one we are leaning towards. Robert Kampf would own majority control of the company. What he says goes. I don't know about not developing young, quality Metal bands. Maybe not something you like, but we have released newer artists like Vampire [debut album], Necrowretch [debut album], Morbus Chron [second album], etc.

"I don't recall any metal label in the past - if history has anything to say about this - that has gone this route and had any real authority in the decisions of what they can release from the past-catalogs OR, the actual A&R concerning current artists/new signings. It's usually a "dictated compromise" further up the food chain.

Also, they are sure to "trim the fat" on the roster (ala Roadrunner acquisition period circa 1999-2001 with UMG then again with Warner in 2006 as Glenn pointed out) From what I remember, if they become a financial burden, these minor labels usual get absorbed into the larger publisher within a year or two, and *poof* ...all gone. great examples: Noise, Enigma, Music for Nations ect. ect.

Not to mention - any band on said label past/or present is in for a real costly, red-taped fiasco of a fight to reclaim any licensing to release/reissue their material through a different label (or even for themselves). I have always heard rumor that the big three label/publishers all have vaults of long-forsaken master tapes/music archives just like you would see on x-files, and that access to these vaults is next to impossible, let alone getting anyone to actually go down and LOOK for a particular title in question."

- Again, Robert Kampf would retain majority control. Believe it or not, we actually make money. Like...a lot of money. Maybe not what a major does, but more money is always good. I'm sure Robert loves CM since he has ran it for over 25 years. He's not interested in parting ways or having someone else run it to the ground. "I have always heard rumors..." Do you believe everything you hear?

"4. Century has failed to develop a new crop of young, talented metal bands.
5. Century has become a legacy label.
6. Century is already incredible lean.

Aside from the fact that Century Media is already mostly irrelevant in today's metal scene, any void they leave in the market will be filled by current or new labels. That's just the nature of markets."

- Again, we have plenty of great new bands. They might not be your cup of tea though. Legacy is always good. I can say the same about other labels. Lean is also good. Speaking for myself I handle all sales in the majority of the US and all exports sales around the world. If I can handle it, why would we hire another salesman? I've also heard about some current labels not doing that great, but I don't have the right to talk about those things.

"Hate to say this, but this is actually fundamentally wrong. They've been investing easily hundreds of thousands of dollars into developing new metal bands over the last 10 few years. In fact, CM was one of the only few metal labels (and still is - for now) with bonafide A&R guys that work with the bands and develop them. The "failure" of those bands' longevity has less to do with CM not developing them, and more to do the costs of that development being too much of a burden on sales.

Now in my above paragraph, I am in FACT including "metal" bands and not just "heavy music" - CM developed a NUMBER of true metal bands that it signed over the last 10 years that weren't just iwrestledabearonce or Suicide Silence. But with that said, In This Moment was one of CM's biggest radio successes of all time, Suicide Silence's The Cleansing was their highest-selling debut record of all time. These are all recent releases and relatively new compared to Shadows Fall and Lacuna Coil. So the label did go on to put out hits.

And while people who are saying that the market will fill the void with new labels - yes - but that market will not allow for actual artist development, because that's what we're losing here with CM getting bought out. People should be more scared of the EMPLOYEES losing their jobs and getting laid off than the bands getting dropped, because it means A&Rs losing their jobs much like what happened at RR. More and more, it means less labels being able to grow new bands and instead opting to just crap out records and throw them at the wall to see if they stick. That's how many indies operate these days, and it's very sad to see it.

Frankly, if I ran a label for 30 years, and my partner of 30 years just died, the mail-order business is slowing down ( as are sales as a whole), I'd probably want to sell as well. CM is one of the best labels in heavy music period for a number of reasons, and it's sad to see this happening, but I also understand it."

- Absolutely! If we could share how much we spend to "break" or develop a new band it would impress or stagger you. The mail-order hasn't slowed down. I can't share numbers, but we had a great year in 2014. One particular month had a 526% sales increase in my department alone!

"i havent bought anything in years from CM because of their insanely high shipping prices"

- How much/what are you buying? Depending on what you bought in the past, we used to offer free shipping on orders over $100. Off course gaspitt prices fluctuate and now we had to change it to $150. We don't pick and choose your shipping cost. It goes through a meter and there you go. Personally, I offer every account what I would consider good discounts and some even free shipping. Expolding Ned and Lasers Edge can back me up on this.

"Wow. More saddening to me, this means goodbye Inside Out."

- I/O isn't going anywhere. In fact we just hired another employee.

Guess that about covers what I can cover. As far as I know, we are still attending ProgPower this year. Unless we have to move offices again later in the year. We are moving but only because we don't need all the empty offices and warehouse space since the split with NB over a year or two ago. The offices we are moving to are literally up the street and around the corner from our current location. If we stay there - great. If we decide to move in with the major - great too. I just hope it doesn't interfere with attending PP and seeing the familiar and new faces.

Remember that rumors are just that.

-Jose (CM)

Lotta fine metal mayhem has went under the bridge all these years eh Jose? I started buying wholesale from youse guyz in the mid 90s, so yeah I know you do have a big catalog. Oh and BTW, it's EXPLODING Ned my friend. :headbang: