Industrial Metal recs?

Sep 2, 2003
London, England
One genre i've never really explored but loved what I've heard. The last Industrial Metal album I got was Red Harvest's 'Sick Transit Gloria Mundi'. What are some good bands/albums to check out?

I wouldn't judge industrial metal as a whole by that release... there's a decent mix of black metal and other musical styles in there, and it's a fairly unique sound.

Personally, I'd check out bands like Devolved (to some extent - like a more death metal Fear Factory), Celldweller (more commercial, but a good mix of euro-dance, drum 'n' bass and metal along with some J-rock influence), Mnemic, Je$us Loves Amerika, Void, Godflesh (goes without saying, one of the best bands in the style) and Swans (not technically metal, but essential nonetheless).

dill_the_devil said:
I wouldn't judge industrial metal as a whole by that release... there's a decent mix of black metal and other musical styles in there, and it's a fairly unique sound.
Huh? :guh: I haven't judged Industrial Metal on STGM, i just said that was the last Industrial metal album I got and that I haven't explored the genre much.

I'll check out the bands you recommended, thanx.

Sorry, got the impression that you were kind of expecting most industrial metal to sound somewhat like that... just emphasising that industrial metal tends to be a genre tag that's even more nebulous and all-encompassing than most.

Oh, one I forgot to mention (which is odd, since I think they're great) - Tin Omen (http://www.tin-omen.co.uk). Dream Disciples are okay too.

"Streetcleaner" is the only one I have, since I've noticed that most people consider it the band's masterpiece. I have a couple of sampler tracks on an Earache compilation, "Xnoybis" (or howeverethefuckthatsspelled) and "Anything is Mine" and I like them less than "Streetcleaner" at least.

I'm pretty out of touch with a lot of newer industrial, but there's a few older industrial/industrial metal bands worth checking out:

Big Black
Electric Hellfire Club
Christian Death
Nailbomb
Atari Teenage Riot
LARD

check out Slave Unit. they're my friend's band. if anyone wants to hear some i could host it on my site. pm me if you want some.

16 Volt is also fucking badass. they're definately my favorite industrial band.

oh yeah, the Berzerker kicks ass too.

16 Volt aren't industrial, so how could they be your favorite industrial band?

Here's my list of industrial metal albums that rule:

Red Harvest - Hybreed*
Red Harvest - New World Rage Music
Pitchshifter - Infotainment?
KMFDM - NIHIL*********** (other releases are not industrial metal, this one is)
Pig - Wrecked****************************************
Front Line Assembly - Millenium (Devin Townsend on guitar beyotch)
Dodheimsgard - 666 International*
Ram-Zet - Escape
November 17 - Trust No One
Rorschach Test - Unclean*
Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood* (deny this one is industrial metal and I will not agree)
Prong - Rude Awakening* (ok, pushing the in.dust... but this one still rules)
Circle of Dust - Disengage (Celldweller is the far inferior subsequent project of founder Klay Scott (Scott something other originally, founder of Argyle Park (Prong covered an AP song on Rude Awakening coincidentally))
Die Krupps - Rings of Steel
Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
Ministry - Psalm 69-The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs
Ministry - Filth Pig*

That should be enough to get you started on the myriad sounds of industrial metal. I put stars next to the best, listen to those first.

Prong - Cleansing
Static-X - Wisconsin Death Trip
Powerman 5000 - Tonight The Stars Revolt!
White Zombie - Astro-Creep 2000
Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park
Rammstein - Herzeleid
Ministry - Animositisomina
Ministry - Psalm 69
Godflesh - Streetcleaner
Apartment 26 - Hallucinating
Orgy - Candyass
And Oceans - AMGOD

and anything by Fear Factory

Too Dark Park is pushing it man, that album only has like 5% guitar. I can only think of a few tracks with guitar at all on them, TFWO (Totally Fucking Weirded Out) is the most prominent that I can remember.

Rabies could be argued to be partially industrial metal, but for the most part SP are just plain old industrial, not industrial metal.