inferno riff.....

yeet_SAY_jama

Gobble Jo0 fetus!
Mar 21, 2003
Canada
alright, i cant figure out how to play the heavy riffage EXACTLY like romeo.

Every source i look at says to play the part differently (Not the fast shredding that the song begins with but the heavy squealing riff). Also, every source that ive tried sounds half decent but i really want to know the correct way it is played. Here are some ways ive tried playing it.

1) Open Low D string, then fret, fullBend, pinch harmonic and vibrate the 6th fret.......

2) Open Low D string, then fret 6th, FullBend, Vibrate and palm-whammy your floating bridge.

3) Open Low D string, then freth 6th, FullBend, Vibrate, pinch harmonic and palm-whammy your floating bridge.

4) Open Low D string, freth 6th, pinch harmonic, and vibrate.

I think that #3 sounds the most accurate but that sure is alota crap to do...
i usualy play #1 considering how much the riff is repeated.

I JUST WANNA DO THE SQUEALY RIGHt!!!!!!!111one

If you pan 100% to the right, you'll hear the pinch harmonic being played on the low D string (6th fret). If you pan 100% to the left, it's played an octave above, on the C string (8th fret).

However, I'm sure he plays it in the lower octave live.

Yo, again, wankaz :cool:!

I just wanted to tell you, it's not an octave above it's a static 7th above. :) Double tracking, folks!

(I did some experimenting with a pitch shifter last night :cool:)

well, it's sure that it's a double tracking,, but I think that YEET_SAY_JAMA was trying to figure out how to play just the track with Pinch Harmonic,,, not the "7th Static" one...

But,, whatever, this riff ROCKS!!!!!!

There's definitely some dual tracking on it. Sometimes he doesn't even hit the harmonic on one of the tracks. I think the higher octave that MorphineChild referred to, is that he's actually just moving his pick further down, creating a different pitch.

But defintely 6th fret pinch / artificial harmonic, and just natural vibrato man, not that whammy shit.

When I said "static 7th" I meant one guitar squeals at the 6th fret, 6th sting, and the other track squeals 13th fret, 6th sting / 8th fret, 5th sting.

So there. :D

Romeo doesnt play the pinch harmonic when playing "the bird serpant war" live. Why is this>? it doesnt seem as though it should be that difficult to nail in the riff.

edit:
Code:
Left channel:
G|---ah5~~~-------------------ah5~~~---------------
D|-0----~~~-0--1-0-1-0-1-4-0--------0-0-0-0-0-0

Right channel: 
D|-0-ah6~~~-0--1-0-1-0-1-4-0-ah6~~~-0-0-0-0-0-0

The bends are wide, a whole step or whole and a half. The left channel harmonic isn't pure, if you listen carefully you can hear C (5th fret tone) playing too. It's called a semi-harmonic I believe.

Number 4 is the way to do it; 6th fret w/pinch & large vibrato.

I haven't had the time to do the panning stuff, but up to date, I've assumed that MJR plays both gtrs (left & right) similarly... only the pinch harmonic pitch is different. But I'd say the fret is still 6th in both, especially since at some point (in the 2nd verse or so), the pinch note is same with both gtrs.

Although now that I think more of it, the other gtr might be G5-string, 5th fret, which, combined to the D6-string Ab-note produces some interesting harmonics... ;)

PS. Visit our site - we're going to do some recording in the nearby future...