Inferno pinch harmonic help

Dusty_Farts

New Metal Member
Dec 12, 2006
Hey, im sure theres someone here that can do it...Romeo does a badass pinch harmonic i believe on the 6th fret low E string tuned whole step down. I can pinch harmonics on the middle strings...but i cant do this bottom one...it sounds muffled...any tips to get that screecher that romeo does on that 6th fret ( i think) ?? thanks

Romeo definitely doesn't pinch harmonic the 6th fret on the low E string live, on that video it looks more like the A string at the 6th fret.

The studio version has two guitars overlapped, both playing pinch harmonics that are a bit different (listen to it on headphones, each ear has a different guitar track). I think one track had him pinch harmonic the 1st fret on the A string, since that gives such a better sounding harmonic than the 6th fret on the E string.

Yeah, it's definitely tuned a step down... I just refer to the strings as if they were in standard because I'm used to it. The kinda impolite way of answering your question is saying that you need to work on your pinch harmonics. :D

P.S. Imma chargin' mah lazer!

Romeo definitely doesn't pinch harmonic the 6th fret on the low E string live, on that video it looks more like the A string at the 6th fret.

The studio version has two guitars overlapped, both playing pinch harmonics that are a bit different (listen to it on headphones, each ear has a different guitar track). I think one track had him pinch harmonic the 1st fret on the A string, since that gives such a better sounding harmonic than the 6th fret on the E string.

i agree, on the gigantour dvd he clearly plays it on the forth fret on the G string (5th string), but i do believe studio version its the the 6th fret 6th string and u may be right about first fret 5th string. he plays different harmonics sometimes too though, not just the same pick position on each harmonic.

as for trying to bring that harmonic out. try playing without the pick at all, but still holding ur hand in the same position as if u were holding a pick. then just rub ur thumb across the string. you should be able to get a harmonic, although a bit of a weak one. Think of it like rubbing ur thumb across the string like a bow on a violin string. the stronger u can get that harmonic with no pick, u should be better with one, thats how i got good at harmonics.

The studio version is DEFINITLY 6th fret low E string - and X always tunes down to D standard.

I also found that getting a LOT of thumb involved makes the best harmonics on the low strings. Its a bit counterintuitive at first, you almost have to miss the string with the pick entirely. The other thing that accents it well is if you are a little late with pushing the string all the way down on your fretting hand. This creates somthing of a natural harmonic/artificial harmonic hybrid. There is actually a method of playing harmonics that way that few people use but I have known people to employ that as their primary means of getting harmonics.

The other thing to keep in mind is that MJRs tone is VERY overdriven there on hot pickups - so don't feel bad if it sounds a little off - you may just flat out not have the right amp/guitar setup to get that sound. That's a studio type tone, less so a practice type tone.

Oh god, we're offtopic.

UV5D4WSKTMNGLO3SCPJV2Z6D5ANS4SFB.jpg

To get this slightly back on topic, what are you guys's's favorite pinches in songs? The verse one in Inferno hit me like a train the first time I heard it, and I've been an addict ever since. The one around 3:48 in The Root of All Evil is also quite juicy. That's all I can think of at the moment.