Inflikted track-by-track breakdown from Max

This is one of my favorite interviews that I've seen from Cavalera Conspiracy so far. Max Cavalera gives track-by-track descriptions for all the songs from Cavalera Conspiracy.

http://www.metal-hammer.de/Cavalera...ck_by_Max-highlight-cavalera-site-hammer.html

It's worth reposting here:

Cavalera_Conspiracy_425.jpg

Max does a Cavalera Conspiracy track by track

"When long time parted brothers Max and Igor Cavalera get back together again and write new songs - the first since Sepultura's ROOTS - it has to be something big. And it is: the Cavalera Conspiracy.

If you want to know what to expect of the new album's eleven songs plus the limited edition's bonus song 'Possessed', you may just read what Max Cavalera has to say about CAVALERA CONSPIRACY.

Join in on a journey through time, space and Max's CD collection, cause all these find their way to the new record.

Enjoy!

‘Inflikted’

It was the first lyric for the album. Back in 1992 I was in Indonesia with Igor for Sepultura shows. There we visited this really crazy ritual with lot’s of fire and piercings – all very self inflicted. But while hurting themselves they didn’t feel the pain because they were tranced. I was very intrigued by this ritual.

Because it’s me and Igor now, I thought it cool to start the album with a track that’s based on such an old experience.

‘Sanctuary’

I like about this song that it’s almost a Nailbomb song. Very fast and straight forward. It rips your head of right away. The vocals are very aggressive – some people told me it might be my best vocals so far.I like that a lot.

And the middle section is just fine. Marc Rizzo sings with “everybody die tonite” in kind of a Punk Rock feeling. Old Biohazard-style.

And it’s the first video for the album.

‘Terrorize’

Igor’s drumbeat at the beginning is a very cool but simple groove from northern Brazil. It’s very ritualistic. I like the groove and the lines of the lyrics.

It is dedicated to Jesse Pintardo of Napalm Death and Terrorizer, because Terrorizer is a huge influence for me.

'Black Ark’

Probably the most different song on the album with a very eerie beginning, me talking. It reminds me to ‘Inner Self’ or ‘Under Siege’ from old Sepultura days.

There are additional vocals by my stepson Richie and Joe from Gojira.

Black Ark is actually a nickname for my book of CDs that I always carry with me. It has 300 CDs – so we named the song after the nickname of my CDs.

‘Ultra-Violent’

It’s very much inspired by the movie A CLOCKWORD ORANGE where the phrase “ultra violent” appears very often. I quote a lot of lines from the movie, even the invented slang language0.

The movie is very brutal and was banned in England for a long time and a lot of kids don’t even know it. But I used to watch it very often in old Sepultura days. So I wanted to make a song about the movie.

‘Hex’

This song is one of my favorites on the album and is influenced by Cannibal Corpse a lot – a band I really listen to a lot.

The lyrics are about the curse of the world, especially in the military and the wars. There’s a line in there that is a little joke on an Bob Marley song ‘Buffalo Soldier’ where it says “…buffalo soldiers high on crack…”. The soldiers fight in other countries and are just high on drugs while killing in Vietnam or Iraq.

It’s a very strong line and was almost the name of the song. But I though ‘Hex’ to be more individual.

The Doom Of All Fires’

I’m not sure anymore, where the title came from. It’s not from movies and not from books. It’s kind of a combination of words. I started working on the song long before Cavalera Conspiracy. Originally, I was just talking to the riff and later on decided to scream on it.

The title sounded just cool and weird enough for me. The lyrics themselves don’t really have a topic. It’s about rhymes that stick with you. Like a nursery rhyme with mixed subjects. In the end I sing really fast, which is influenced by Tom Araya’s way of singing on ‘Raining Blood’. Though, he is much better at it than I am.

It’s the most Brazilian vocal performance on the album. The voice is used like an instrument. It’s Igor’s favorite on the album – and I’m really happy about that.

‘Bloodbrawl’

It’s about me and Igor. We fought against each other for a long time, now we fight together against something else. It’s about the connection of blood, that still involves brawl and fighting.

Real brothers work together, but they do fight as well.

And I really like the outro, where Marc Rizzo wrote a nice piece of music. The only acoustic part on the album.

‘Nevertrust’

It’s the most Punk song on the album – very influenced by European Hardcore like Discharge. It’s simply about not trusting anybody, not politics, not presidents, not even yourself. But it features comedy as well when it says “never trust Fall Out Boy, never trust Emo kids”.

It could easily be a Nailbomb song.

‘Hearts Of Darkness’

It’s about the novel that inspired the movie APOCALYPSE NOW and the journey through the jungle. I really like that movie so I wanted to take something from it into this song.

‘Must Kill’

I really like the sound of the word combination must-kill. So in the end of the song it’s repeated almost like a mantra again and again. With this it’s a good finishing song for a very aggressive record.

'The Exorcist' (Possessed cover)

This is the bonus song of the CD and it deals with the old bands like Possessed, Venom, Celtic Frost, Sodom, Kreator, Destruction and all the likes. I want to put the kids attention up on these bands because they are really good and wrote very good metal songs 20 years ago.