Inside Machinated's Mix [EAS STUDIOS]

I posted this in another thread but figured some more of you may want to see it. Its nothing too special, just a quick tour around the mixer of a recent mix.

Some background on the mix:

Drums:

Drummer injured his arm before tracking so he couldn't hit as hard as he had in other times that I'd recorded him. Kit was a birch starclassic, all cymbals bar one crash were AAX's. Snare skin was quite new, tom skins were old, so used more samples than I would have liked. Snare was a maple black beauty, 14x6.5 i think. Kick is about 45% sample, snare is 65% or so (you can see in the video). Drums were recorded one section at a time and comped together as we went on. Was a good way to track as we could concentrate on each fill and make sure everything was how we wanted it. drum editing all done before this vid obviously - all hits pocketed to behind the beat.

Bass:

some cheap jackson bass with newish strings. sounded OK, but far from the best I have recorded. you can see in the video that all bass notes have been pocketed to the drums.

Guitars:

gibson SG -> 6505 -> mesa cab v30's -> sm57 at an angle. wanted quite a vintagey tone so angled the mic away from the center of the cone for a warmer kind of sound. EQ'd slightly more than normal on this one (as you can see in the video).

Vocals:

AT4040. doubled up whatever lines we felt necessary to keep it interesting, same goes for harmonies etc.

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

the drums were actually from another session, but same kit/mics etc.

dropbox link (better quality): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/303799/Remember%20Mix.mov

any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man did you edit the drums in logic? If so did you use flex time? I've had nothing but problems with editing in logic and still do all my edits in reaper :(

cool! thanks for sharing!

but dont show that video to david bendeth. hell complain about the lack of room sound and overheads of the original paramore snare :)
just kidding. nice work! love your production!

personally id like more snare in the mix (cla or bendeth style), but thats just personal preference i guess!

but holy fuck those guitars are amazing! what did you use on this?

drums are all edited in logic, flex time on slice mode. no problems once you get the hang of it. maybe one day I'll do a video tutorial for that. what problems are you having?

guitars were as I said before, gibbo sg (stock pickups, 6505 (no boost, green channel). I'll put the mic position and settings in the first post.

paramore snare is quite a few db below the others, its there mostly for the ring. and yeah bendeth will probably make the point that it doesnt have the same room and OH's haha

I'm just having nasty problems with cymbal artifacts. Even on really tiny edits, I've grouped the tracks, enabled phase locked editing etc, using slice mode with cross fades enabled in the "overlap" menu. Still getting problems, anything you think I could be missing?

forgot to do the screenshot of the trigger window - individual kicks are slate kicks 17 and tommy kick, 2 samples from a ddrum4 and 2 other ones I have knocking around (one with that bassy decay, and one for thump). The mix on trigger is at 45% although I'd expect more of the sound to be sample than mic as the samples seem quite a bit louder.

glad you guys like it!

Machinated dood i could dload that vid from youtube and post a dropbox link if you want, that's if you don't want to do it yourself 'cause i think this is good material and it'd be cool to keep this in a hard drive =)