Inspiration for writing...

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
Anyone got any good ideas for inspiration, because i haven't written a thing in three days...

You'd think after this many years of playing, i could just whip something up quickly, but no. that just doesn't happen, does it?!

Anyone got any ideas to help me? :err:

Music... writing music.

I'm a guitarist... And i've hit a writers block... in fact, a brick wall...

Ahh, three days IS a writes block for me. I'm one of those 'sit in my room and play guitar for hours on end' people. I write hundreds and hundreds of riffs... but i haven't written one single note in the last few days... Maybe it's all catching up with me... :err:

Something that works for me is reading a book, or some poems. If you find something you really enjoy (and if you're anything like me), you may want to express what you've just digested...through music.

I've had a block for a while now, so one day when I got the time I searched the internet for some inspiring reading - I found a short story from the 17th or 18th century, a cross between a fairy tale and a horror story, and it inspired me to write a piece of music.

Maybe it helps for you too!:loco:

I find that for me the periods when I cannot write music, are dependant on the amount of psychological noise of the city. Get outside, to some quiet place, with no distraction (a cliche maybe - going to the forest, but it works). DO NOT take your instrument with you, let music appear in your head then write it down on paper. There must be silence in order for music to arrive.

D Mullholand, a dead composer
---------------------------------------
NP: Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory