Instrested in getting reamps/mix/master done

AgentX

Jun 14, 2009
Oxford, UK
www.facebook.com
I'm putting this in off topic as its really just for information atm and to get some contacts,

I'm writing an album (with by band) and its about 80% complete, I was originally going to go down the self produced / mix route but I'm finding it to hard and I've been coming to the realisation that its best left to the pro's. Its not a serious career band, its a hobby that I enjoy.

So my question is, how much would it cost for a 10 track album to get reamped, mixed (including midi drums) and mastered. Bearing in mind this is not going to be a pro-release, I just want something that sounds better than what i have achieved so far.

here is one of our songs to take a listen to: http://rib.warp13.co.uk/music/Song 31-Ver1-2.mp3

If your interested in this project please get some figures together and pm / leave me a message.

cool music man. well, i figured you could get maybe one or two done for free, just post a tread for mixing pratice and include all the di's/mid/etc.. then pick the best one i guess. never enough mixing pratice for some of the newer guys like me kinda

^^^ As much as that sounds like a good idea... those threads always go down in flames because of the arguments that inevitably come up etc. However, good luck man :)

@Deathmetaler's post: Most guys that are going to do a solid job aren't going to do a whole lot for free, if anything at all. Just putting that out there.

Best course is to just send a message to engineers that do work you like to get prices. You may get lucky though with the posting of tracks, who knows...

cool music man. well, i figured you could get maybe one or two done for free, just post a tread for mixing pratice and include all the di's/mid/etc.. then pick the best one i guess. never enough mixing pratice for some of the newer guys like me kinda

Thanks a lot for the offer! I did consider this a while ago but I didn't think anyone would be that interested and secondly I don't really want to put songs out there to "tender" like that, I don't want to waste peoples time.

If it's just a hobby and you don't expect to make any money from it, then don't spend money. For a full mix / reamp / mastering you'd have to pay a few thousands.
Your mix is not that bad though, a good mastering could greatly improve it at lower cost.

If it's just a hobby and you don't expect to make any money from it, then don't spend money. For a full mix / reamp / mastering you'd have to pay a few thousands.
Your mix is not that bad though, a good mastering could greatly improve it at lower cost.

Brett,

Yes it is a hobby (we do play live regularly) but this album will be the sum of 2 years of work and we want to get something awesome at the end if it. Whilst cost is an issue I think getting this monster finished is more important and we do have a long term plan to sell the album.

I hadn't considered mastering only, I've always gone with the "you shouldn't fix it in mastering" approach and automatically thought reamp . . . can you recommend anyone?

Brett,

Yes it is a hobby (we do play live regularly) but this album will be the sum of 2 years of work and we want to get something awesome at the end if it. Whilst cost is an issue I think getting this monster finished is more important and we do have a long term plan to sell the album.

I hadn't considered mastering only, I've always gone with the "you shouldn't fix it in mastering" approach and automatically thought reamp . . . can you recommend anyone?

You could think I'm biased since I already offered my services, but honestly, if you have the budget, a good mix + good master will be way better than a decent mix + good master. If you feel you aren't quite happy the mix yourself and can justify spending the money, by all means, do get a professional mixing engineer to work on it. If you're short on cash, though, a good mastering engineer will improve the results and you might get away with a few hundred bucks.

Yes all of the above is true. A good mix + master will be much better than a decent mix + good master.

But if you are on a budget, since your mix is far from being horrible it could be an idea worth considering for your own interest.

Can I recommend someone? Haha, well yes, I can recommend me for instance ;) Click my banner for my website.

You could think I'm biased since I already offered my services, but honestly, if you have the budget, a good mix + good master will be way better than a decent mix + good master. If you feel you aren't quite happy the mix yourself and can justify spending the money, by all means, do get a professional mixing engineer to work on it. If you're short on cash, though, a good mastering engineer will improve the results and you might get away with a few hundred bucks.

Thanks for your PM btw, I tend to agree with you and also when you divide the cost between the members it comes down a lot so its not bank busting amounts of cash which is why I'm considering this route.

Yes all of the above is true. A good mix + master will be much better than a decent mix + good master.

But if you are on a budget, since your mix is far from being horrible it could be an idea worth considering for your own interest.

Can I recommend someone? Haha, well yes, I can recommend me for instance ;) Click my banner for my website.

The other side of this is that I want to step away from mixing as it drives me nuts, it started off well and I enjoy learning / reading / experimenting but it quickly becomes harder as you progress, and i've hit a brick wall lol

The other side of this is that I want to step away from mixing as it drives me nuts, it started off well and I enjoy learning / reading / experimenting but it quickly becomes harder as you progress, and i've hit a brick wall lol

Trust me, it won't be the last brickwall - it's an endless learning process for every one of us! :)

Oh, and insert mastering related brickwall pun here.