Intel hires Will-i-am as 'director of creative innovation'

Aug 16, 2008
London, UK
fb.com
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/intel-hires-will-i-am-as-director-of-creative-innovation-whol/

You know a job title is tenuous when even the guys who announce it have to put it in quotation marks -- Intel's just signed up the Black Eyed Peas' Will.i.am as a "director of creative innovation." The hip hop star responsible for flooding CES 2010 and every BlackBerry event since with an irritatingly cheery tune (which we're sure we don't have to name) is about to commence a long-term, "hands-on" collaboration with Intel on its development of "new technologies, music and tech advocacy." Basically, it sounds like he'll act as an ambassador for the chip company, who'll in turn pretend to listen to his zany ideas about mega-giga-bass. Then again, Lady Gaga's similar partnership with Polaroid produced these glasses, so what the hell do we know?

Mega lol!

Wait, isnt that the guy who blatantly sampled annoying 80's tracks for the last 3 or-so of his singles? Very creative, indeed

I don't get it. Why would corporation specialized in electronic hardware parts do something like this? I mean, I could understand if apple did something like this, but Intel? This should be book example of how to not make any sense at all. Their products, just like products of any electronic corp are bought for their price/quality/possibilities by engineers, not by stupid pop culture slaves who buy things solely on which of their worshipped celebrities is doing the advertising thing.

I don't get it. Why would corporation specialized in electronic hardware parts do something like this? I mean, I could understand if apple did something like this, but Intel? This should be book example of how to not make any sense at all. Their products, just like products of any electronic corp are bought for their price/quality/possibilities by engineers, not by stupid pop culture slaves who buy things solely on which of their worshipped celebrities is doing the advertising thing.

I can see it now, Will.I.Ams 8 core macs in his recording studio that he uses to write hits are powered by Intel.

Sounds like Intel is getting nervous because lately they have been getting their ass kicked by AMD in terms of sales. They have to start getting celebrity statuses to get the blind followers to start buying their products. Nice marketing scheme really, but it just shows their desperation.

:err: Ummmm... so what exactly makes him more of an innovator on the musical/tech end than, say, Ulver, The Kronos Quartet, Arron Funk, Kevin Moore, Eric Persing, Roger Linn, or Richard Divine? <-- None how utterly diverse I got there with that. :Smug:

Frankly, AMD's Bulldozer better slay the gods, because Intel have obviously LOST THEIR FUCKING SHIT with regard to music "innovators". I don't even want to be remotely associated with a decision like this! :guh:

The thing is, probably this "Director of Creative Innovation" title is just a mask as it's just probably a deal so he can show his face and sing shit at presentations and go like: "yeah theze cepeyous are the best to make beats yo" or some random gibberish... But it is way too pathetic anyway... Intel is a CPU and Chipset maker... they don't have place in the MTV bubblegum music...

... they don't have place in the MTV bubblegum music...

the people at intel are remarkably aware of their position in the music industry. they have an entire department devoted to audio processing relations that communicates new technologies with third party software developers.

the question is: "why is a declining market like intel marrying endeavourers with another futile declining market?"

i think the answer is "publicity". :Smug:

another point: i think some people's idea of what role intel plays in the music production/industry is slightly skewed.

it's not like the engineers there are all 60 y/o hermits with calculators trying to figure out faster clock instructions... make no mistake, most of the engineers are younger than any of us and are developing technology for audio/video processing beyond the cutting edge.

unfortunately this technology and industry is very small market therefore an unrealistic roadmap priority.

for now intel must try and keep up with AMD's sales (with small servers) into the future quarters so they are still able to reproduce such awesome technologies.

i would hate to see the cpu industry become solely about business metrics and not innovation... (which is where it looks to be headed).

I can see it now, Will.I.Ams 8 core macs in his recording studio that he uses to write hits are powered by Intel.

Sounds like Intel is getting nervous because lately they have been getting their ass kicked by AMD in terms of sales. They have to start getting celebrity statuses to get the blind followers to start buying their products. Nice marketing scheme really, but it just shows their desperation.

I think this is all what Intel needs: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

At the end of the day, all AMD processors are bad knock-offs of Intels stuff.
Kind of like comparing Epiphone to Gibson really.

I dont think AMD will ever surpass Intel, again with the comparison between Epiphone and Gibson.
There's no question about that Epiphone sells more then Gibson, but in the end they really want to own the real deal.

I think this is all what Intel needs: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I dont think AMD will ever surpass Intel, again with the comparison between Epiphone and Gibson.
There's no question about that Epiphone sells more then Gibson, but in the end they really want to own the real deal.

you are right... technology wise, it won't happen.

however in terms of sales... they have and will continue to.

the epi vs. gib comparison is a good one although gibson manufactures epiphone so both are in the clear :)

Not even my point. To call AMD a "bad knockoff" just wrong. AMD chips use Intel's previous generation chips and research every way possible to squeeze every last drop of performance out of them. The result, a previous generation ship that performs about 70-80% that of the new generation and because its low tech, is a hell of a lot cheaper. The deal is that AMD chips being much cheaper and almost as good, appeal to a wider range especially after the economy crash where only people/businesses that have the extra cash to drop on the absolute fastest technology to date are few.

With AMD's line of graphics cards, the fact is, this is the first time that they have a previous generation card that is still faster than anything NVIDIA has made in their newest generation, it is only a matter of time before their CPUs do the same. In order to keep sales, Intel has to convince their target audience that they NEED the fastest over Price-to-Performance, then they will be back in the game. The way they do it, is by making their audience realize that their favorite celebs are using Intel and if they want to be "cool" like said celebs, then they HAVE to get Intel. Like I said before, its not about which chip performs better, its about which chip sells the most and for the past few years, AMDs sales are doing better, where Intel has been struggling to keep up.

you are right... technology wise, it won't happen.

however in terms of sales... they have and will continue to.

Yup, just like shitty guitars always have and always will sell better then high end ones. ;)

the epi vs. gib comparison is a good one although gibson manufactures epiphone so both are in the clear :)

Thats true. :)

Not even my point. To call AMD a "bad knockoff" just wrong. AMD chips use Intel's previous generation chips and research every way possible to squeeze every last drop of performance out of them. The result, a previous generation ship that performs about 70-80% that of the new generation and because its low tech, is a hell of a lot cheaper. The deal is that AMD chips being much cheaper and almost as good, appeal to a wider range especially after the economy crash where only people/businesses that have the extra cash to drop on the absolute fastest technology to date are few.

The bad knock-off part wasnt quite as literal as you seem to have taken it, but my overall point still stands.
AMD doesn't have any leverage on Intel apart from the price, but at the same time they never manage to match Intel's top speeds and stability.

And regarding performance -> money ratio: Intels are MUCH safer to overclock then AMD's.
If you take an AMD and an Intel with the same basic performance(Lets say both are running at 3,2ghz.), then you could easily overclock the Intel to 3,8ghz still running on air(Running stable i might add.), while the AMD would need water-cooling to retain stability(Which would let the Intel run even faster.).
So sure, the Intel might cost slightly more then the AMD, but when you take overclocking in to consideration the Intel wins by far.

With AMD's line of graphics cards, the fact is, this is the first time that they have a previous generation card that is still faster than anything NVIDIA has made in their newest generation, it is only a matter of time before their CPUs do the same. In order to keep sales, Intel has to convince their target audience that they NEED the fastest over Price-to-Performance, then they will be back in the game. The way they do it, is by making their audience realize that their favorite celebs are using Intel and if they want to be "cool" like said celebs, then they HAVE to get Intel. Like I said before, its not about which chip performs better, its about which chip sells the most and for the past few years, AMDs sales are doing better, where Intel has been struggling to keep up.

On this part i have no idea, as i haven't been looking in to the graphics side of things for a while.
But there is another catch right here: Developers choose nvidia.
This results in nvidia always having the latest technology plus the factor that the games are optimized with their gpu's in mind.
But as i said, i havent stayed on track about the gpu-part lately, so it might be so that nvidia is slowly loosing their leverage.

Anyways, Intel wont be threatened by AMD in the near future as Intel always will be the high-end product(PC's isn't the only part of the CPU-market.).
Also, even if AMD manages to create faster processors with the older generation(Which i highly doubt they ever will.), they wont get to the next generation without Intel creating it.

I will build my computers on Intel, Nvidia, Asus and Corsair as long as possible, simply because they've always been stable and easy to overclock(If needed.).

That being said, i dont care at all what people use in their computers.. but my personal experience is that AMD and ATI always comes with some comparability/performance issues(I've personally never owned an AMD though.. ).