intellectual discourse on the newest metallica and megadeth cds

the greatest drummer on earth.

He played with Zappa back in the day and is like the ultimate session player on the planet and has played with absolutely everyone.

Oh, azal, totally yeah he could do whatever you put in front of him, no doubt, the guy's a monster. Heavy metal records just aren't famous for employing legendary studio drummers is all.

I don't know if I would call him the greatest drummer on earth (coughGADDcough)

I think both bands became swept up in the fans or the metal medias expectations, and when that kind of pressure was put on them, they all caved, and lost focus on the music. It became all about ego on both sides, and they could no longer produce what they really wanted to do. Politics, and outside influence ruined two great bands. It's a shame.

maybe it is still hitting the right nerves, and maybe my argument is deeply irrelevant, but i like to think there is a noticeable difference between truly driven 'heavy' music produced by struggling people (no matter how stupid the message or motivation is), and 'heavy' music produced by older millionaires who are pursuing a calmer, more established route in life.

Good point. I read a recent Metallica interview and when James Hetfield mentioned how the band had to employ a 'band coach-psychoanalist' of some sort in order to work with their problems as a band and as individuals, all I could think about was how I'd rather Hetfield was an angry drunk wifebeater if that would have made St. Anger less tame and uninteresting.

As to the new Megadeth, at least that song Kick the Chair was encouraging. Haven't heard the full album yet. The funny thing will be sitting down and counting the ripped-off metallica riffs in it.

I have to say having heard a bit of this (the Megadeth record) - it's really not that bad! I mean, nothing to write home about, but not terrible.

Although the "News Report" in the beginning of track one is laughable bad.

The other guitarist in my (secret) band can trace chord progressions and melodies from metallica to megadeth in an absurd number of songs, and up to and including songs from Load, I think. He can play almost all material by both bands and it's almost as hilarious to see him explain how everything traces from this to that, as it is to see him struggle to explain why he can play every note on 'ronnie'. I keep telling him dude it's minor key E thrash how many different combinations could you expect to find, but in the end I don't want to disprove him because the Dave neurosis is very funny.

Helm said:
Good point. I read a recent Metallica interview and when James Hetfield mentioned how the band had to employ a 'band coach-psychoanalist' of some sort in order to work with their problems as a band and as individuals, all I could think about was how I'd rather Hetfield was an angry drunk wifebeater if that would have made St. Anger less tame and uninteresting.
That would explain how horrible the lyrics Hetfield has penned for St-Anger too. Its not like he ever was Hemmingway but he certainly made more of an effort back in the day...