__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Intended Victim - Inevitable
Self-released – Demo – 19th January 2007
By Chris Kee

IV.jpg

Hailing from South Australia Intended Victim deal in technical death metal and on this, their first release, they demonstrate an impressive degree of skill and ability. Inevitable is also blessed with excellent production that puts to shame many label-supported releases and songs like ’Battle From Above’ and ’Slab’ are bristling with explosive guitar work, bringing to mind the later Death albums and more recent creations from Gory Blister.

There are, however, one or two criticisms to be levelled at the band. Firstly, at times, their influences can shine through rather too brightly. ’Morbid Reality’ is a really enjoyable song, but it feels like a homage to Cannibal Corpse and scattered throughout the album are a handful of rather obvious At The Gates-style riffs which really add nothing to the songs. Secondly on a song like ’Through The Eye’ it feels as if the band are trying too hard to force too much into their songs. I love guitar solos but even I found my attention wandering – a bit of streamlining would add immeasurably to the impact. Still both of these things will hopefully be ironed out with time and experience and Inevitable may yet be a first step on the way to even greater things because Intended Victim certainly have all the talent they need.

Official Intended Victim Website