circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
No Innocent Victim – To Burn Again
Facedown Records – FR050 – November 8th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

FR050-150.jpg

You can tell that No Innocent Victim are seasoned veterans, because To Burn Again isn’t marred by hints of amateurishness. And anyone familiar with the hardcore scene has most likely been introduced to this act at some point, since they date back to 1992. After releasing two albums on independent labels and two more on Victory Records (recall when they were a legitimate, hardcore label?), the group disbanded in 2002 only to reform in 2004. As said in the first sentence, To Burn Again doesn’t fall privy to many of the weaknesses that plague inexperienced troupes, but it’s not quite a shining return for them either.

Joined by ex-:rofl:isciplex AD members, the quintet have fourteen songs to present, which last about thirty-minutes in total. It’s not like the record isn’t straightforward in just about every way: this is reminiscent of Hatebreed (and others who frequented Victory Records in the late ‘90’s), it’s aggressive hardcore fueled by various messages, and has plenty of lustrous moments. Conversely, despite this being their fifth full-length effort, To Burn Again doesn’t necessarily stray from what’s been done before, which keeps the listener pacified without requiring thinking or more taxing activities. Still, there’s something to be said for the inspiration-riddled No Innocent Victim, though all that can be said doesn’t hinge on complexities. For instance, hardcore fans will – in all probability – fancy this. It’s a tad formulaic. And so on…

While said recording is a return to form and marks the end of a four-year silence, I can’t say that I was wowed by anything No Innocent Victim lowered on me, though there are inklings of solidity throughout. I’ll recommend this disc to completists, and those who desire hardcore with a positive take on things. Otherwise, I can’t see many people immersing themselves in this.

7/10

Official No Innocent Victim Website
Official Facedown Records Website