Interesting take on Firefox future

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
I just saw this post (it's from mid January, but someone else brought it to my attention) on the InfoWorld blog about the continued viability of the Mozilla/Firefox platform. I'm sure many of you, like me, use Firefox as your primary browser and might be concerned if this was indeed true.

Why Firefox is doomed

While I admit that I have tried others like Google Chrome, Opera, and even the newer versions of IE, but have always returned to Firefox.

What do you think - is it a concern as the author has stated, or is it just a naysayer putting out a biased opinion? Will Chrome take the place in the open source community that Firefox has maintained for so long?

Well, the reason why Opera and Firefox became popular way back was because Internet Explorer was not updated for 5 years and pretty much became the most insecure web-browser at the time. Version 6 was released in 2001 and version 7 was released in 2006. And Version 8 was released in 2009.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ance-warns-against-Internet-Explorer-use.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1037530/us-government-warns-internet-explorer
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1588200/microsoft-ie6-flaw-months

This may not be the first time we've heard complaints about Firefox getting a bit bigger than it should be and having bugs here and there, the first time a project has moved from major releases to incremental changes, or even the first time that Firefox has been caught between two other popular browsers like this... but it's still a brilliant insight because... erm... magic!

The more frequent installments may have been a problem for Microsoft, but that's hardly condemnation of the shorter, smaller approach. The admission he claims that they're making is clear and obvious bullshit - just compare Slack and Gentoo if you really want to believe that such an admission makes sense - and Firefox has survived major code revisions before. Google still contributes to Firefox, KDE bounced back from a clunky, unpopular release and is still more than popular enough to have its own 'rebranding' (or even be the default DE) of major distros (and worst-case scenario KDE 3.5 is still widely available), and Firefox has too large a community of users *and* developers who will continue making the kinds of extensions and add-ons that made Firefox work so well. The biggest problem I can see is that more features are being added to the base instead of being left as addons, which were one of Firefox's best features (and a great way to take advantage of the free software community), and I don't doubt that there's still time to repent.

Is this the first time that Firefox has been 'between a rock and a hard place'? No, because right now it's between a fossilized bison and a small child. Is it true that 'the writing has been on the wall for some time now'? Yes, but what was left out was that the writing was in fecal matter on a gas station bathroom wall - note that this same author who has bashed free software for not coming from Redmond, Apple products for not coming from Redmond, and... well, you get the picture.

Long story short... the writer sucks (just try a web search, and good luck with the sudden increase in your blood pressure), the sky isn't falling, Firefox isn't dying, take what you read a little more carefully, and it'll be a long time before Chrome is in a position to kill Firefox - a position that won't likely be taken unless Mozilla turns evil and starts running around Mountain View with fucking lightsabers and battle droids. Move along, now.

Jeff

It seems odd to me that smaller, more frequent, incremental updates are criticized as a poor thing in this sector. You'd have thought with security exploits on the web, the best way to patch a hole would be to get a point release out there as quickly as possible.

What's hilarious is that this guy is an obvious shill for a company whose security update policy is basically 'no showering unless you're on the rag' - when it's *unusual* to hear of Microsoft patching a serious vulnerability shortly (read: not next month's second Tuesday) after discovery, any comparison is already a stretch.

(To the uninitiated: look for 'Patch Tuesday' on Wikipedia and try to control your laughter.)

Jeff

Other consequences

Immediately following Patch Tuesday, millions of computers are rebooted within a short period of time.

This rebooting causes an exceptional strain on Internet servers and databases as client software logs off and back on.

For example, in August 2007, Skype experienced a two-day outage following Patch Tuesday; according to Skype this was caused by a previously unidentified software bug exposed by the abnormally high number of restarts. [5]

lol

Google Chrome is awesome apart from security. I used it until I somehow got a major virus that wasn't picked up by any scanners, wasn't in any downloads, just from browsing, and had to format my computer. Now I'm back to Firefox but its not nearly as good, it lags constantly :/ Every time I try to type in 'www.hotmail.com' it just locks up for about 30 secs. PITA.

Once Chrome comes out with NoScript I'll switch.. but its been a long time and still nothing so I'm not holding my breath.

I use IE because I don't suck at the Internet so I don't care about security holes and for what I do with it, I don't need any other browser/bloat in my PC.

I didn't like Chrome's GUI, same for Opera (which I've used quite a while) and never really liked Firefox, even with its tremendous add-ons potential, never felt right to me. Greasemonkey scripts were cool though, I admit.

I couldn't live without Mouse Gestures, so I still use Firefox - I suppose they're probably available for Chrome though, guess I should give that a try if Firefox starts crashing again

I used Chrome for a while shortly after it came out but it was constantly accessing my hdd (even when idle) and I missed the add-ons so I went back to my beloveth Firefox.

I'm with Jeff, don't feel any impending doom.

I've tried chrome after years using firefox but the total lack of add-ons/plugins (like adblock) made me switch to firefox immediately again. It was a while back though, I don't know if there are any good plugins for chrome right now.

In the tos for chrome it says anything you upload or write using the browser google can use anyway they please.
Just saying.

This is not the case anymore, and it hasn't been for quite some time.

Jeff

+1

And to get rid of this problem(When it still was there.), all you had to do was to download the source and compile it.. which non-programmers can do easily.

.. or you could just download it from any of the hundreds of sites offering the compiled source.