Interesting Video About Producing

Yes I watched the Cavallo one yesterday. It's very interesting (and gives me hope, cause I've been doing it like him, haha) - so anyone who hasn't seen it, watch it.

And pay attention to the part where he talks about that the artist and band have to a) communicate something heartfelt and b) have to form a unit that excites people.

Both is usually lacking with most bands (especially in metal).

some nice stuff depending on what you are interested in, i found the Cavallo & Ballard ones very boring
the ones i liked:
Chris Blackwell
Andy Allen
Dino Paredes
Robert Raynolds
Peter Paterno
Ruth Martinez
Ian Mackaye (last one viewed)

i've come this far, i'll surely finish em all...i'm more interested in the business aspect of it than the production it seems

I signed up for the forums to get access and I thought for a minute it might be a great forum to read but there's only about 100 threads?

I'm downloading all those interviews anyway. Knowledge is power after all.

I think this one here I either found here at the sneap forum or was what got me to seek out the sneap forum...
http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/
that's a pretty infamous video:lol:
here's another quite famous one that makes the rounds, if you haven't read it already
http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html

Ugghh, fuck that Slipperman nonsense, it's just hideously impenetrably written and has a lot of unnecessary (and bad) advice (determine the best speaker by moving your head in front of the cab with it blasting? Uhh, no thanks, that's what mics are for...)

Slipperman wins... and I find it funny that anyone who would put up with my nonsense could complain about that epic beast of planet-smashing proportions.

Jeff

Jeff, yours at least has a point (colorful analogies to explain diode clipping and such), Slipperman is downright offensive in his self-fellating, and so much of the tips are very sketchy to me (and the fucking frequency breakdown analysis is the most useless garbage I've ever read, arrgghh - n00bs, stick with books like "Modern Recording Techniques" or "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook," not to mention this forum!)

That Imperial Mastering Guitar Tone Vid was kinda funny. Some good info in general, but some messed up terms and misunderstanding of "phase" etc.

I'm also a little iffy about 2 non-coincident mics on the same speaker.

Eh, phase really isn't that big of an issue with 2 mics; the best way to check it is to crank up the amp's gain and volume (WITH NOTHING PLUGGED INTO IT, so you just get mondo hiss), the level of the preamps way up, and move the mic around listening for the telltale phasing sounds by monitoring the sounds of both mics panned center with headphones (so you get the phase cancellation, I tried it with one mic panned hard L and one panned hard R and it totally defeated the purpose). What I've found is as long as the two mics are both the same distance from the grille, phase is really not an problem.

Yeha, but doesn't 2 non-coincident mics on the same speaker completely defy the 3:1 rule?

Seems like you might just put the second mic on a different speaker so you get a (ever so) slight difference and less comb filtering

Good point.

But I don't see why moving the second mic to the same position but on a different speaker would be non-positive-result-yielding idea.

Well if one really liked the sound of one particular speaker over any of the others then that'd be the one to stick all the mics on, but otherwise I agree, and personally I always put one mic on each of my bottom speakers (though unfortunately, I've discovered neither the Audix i5 nor the AT ATM 650 that I had paired too well with a 57, so I always ended up deleting their tracks after recording :lol: )

That Imperial Mastering vid fuckin pisses me off. I know I am a relative dumbfuck, even after I've spent a few years absorbing what everyone here has to say...but he pisses me off. He just has this holier-than-thou shit about him that makes me wish I could beat him about the face with a frying pan. I learn nothing from that video, not because he doesn't have anything important to learn, but the way he conveys it just makes me convulse.