Interface for home studio

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
I'm thinking about changing my old 120$ Terratec DMX6Fire.
I want an interface firewire or PCI.
Don't need thousand of inputs, 1 or 2 is ok. It is just to track guitars and bass.
But I'd like it to have a good mic/line/phones preamp, low latency, good and cheap.
Any idea?

Mackie Onyx Satellite

It's cheap (150 EUR at thomann.de) and the mic preamps look decent. Metaltastic has been rocking one for a long time, but has recently exchanged it with another Mackie interface if I am not mistaken.

Might be worth checking out.

Onyx is cool. Good preamps, loud headphone amp and 1 Mohm instrument inputs. Only complaint I have is that the power supply seems to bring alot of noise into the DI tracks I recorded. Much quieter using the firewire for power.

M Audio Profire 610 is also a good shout, though its a bit more expensive than the Onyx.

I really liked my Onyx Satellite when I had it, but after it inexplicably died about a month ago after only a year of use, I can't in good conscience really recommend it anymore. Jevo, I'd go for the Focusrite Saffire (not LE) dude, seems to be one of the highest quality 2-input interfaces in terms of preamps and converters!

I really liked my Onyx Satellite when I had it, but after it inexplicably died about a month ago after only a year of use, I can't in good conscience really recommend it anymore. Jevo, I'd go for the Focusrite Saffire (not LE) dude, seems to be one of the highest quality 2-input interfaces in terms of preamps and converters!

The Saffire seems to be a bit plasticous, at least in pictures. Is the one you own now?

The Saffire seems to be a bit plasticous, at least in pictures. Is the one you own now?

Hahaha, I'm not sure what "plasticous" means, but I assume you mean cheap and plasticky? Well it may be as far as the box goes, but still, the converters go all the way up to 192 khz, and research has shown me that even if most here always only work at 44.1, higher potential sample rates means higher quality chips in general. And Focusrite has a good reputation for preamps, and there are a lot of satisfied higher-end Saffire owners on here, so it'd be my choice! (though I upgraded to a Mackie Onyx 400F :Smokedev: ) However, I admit I have no firsthand experience with the Saffire, so I'm only going by looking at specs, but they do look promising!