International clothing sizes?

booB

Señor Member
Mar 25, 2003
Cleveland, OH USA
I'm trying to buy a T-shirt which, it appears, I will have to special order from a store in Hong Kong. I realize that clothing sizes tend to vary internationally (ie, a "large" T-shirt made for fat people in America would be equivalent to, probably, an XL in Europe). My question is: how do these sizes vary with regards to Asia? I'd assume they, also, would be smaller, but I don't know. If I wear mostly XL here in the States (but, very rarely, an XL shirt is too small for me), then should I order XL from Hong Kong, or XXL?

Also, I presume that a lot of "American" T-shirts are made in Hong Kong anyway; would this indicate that the shirt sizes are probably identical, or close to it?

I don't know about Asia, but I know that for Sweden (The FK Shop) , I had to go one size up, and they were still a little snug, or I was just a little too fat. :) I would seriously go XXL....

I would seriously go XXL....

Agreed. Seems like compared to U.S. sizes, overseas shirts almost always run about one size smaller. Merch-people working for European bands are well aware of this: when I've inspected t-shirts from European bands critically, I've gotten "We used an American company for the t-shirts" on some occasions as well as "We brought these with us, so they'll run small."