Interview With Arjen 'Ayreon' Lucassen

Nov 12, 2002
www.metalasylum.net
Thought all you ProgPower people might enjoy this.

2. Who are some of the guest vocalists and players on the album?

ARJEN: There are no less than 25 guest musicians on this album; Hansi Kürsch,(Blind Guardian) Michael Romeo (Symphony X), Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation), Jorn Lande, Bob Catley (Magnum), Derek Sherinian, Ty Tabor (Kings X), Simone Simons (Epica), Jonas Renkse and many others.

3. What is this new collaborative Ayreon EP “Elected” about?

ARJEN: On January 25th 2008 both rock operas of me and Tobias Sammet, respectively Ayreon’s ‘01011001’ and Avantasia’s ‘Scarecrow’, were released simultaneously. The press called this event the ‘Clash of the Titans’, and Tobias and me were pictured everywhere as bitter rivals. In the many interviews we both did they had to answer a lot of questions about each other, without even having heard each others albums. Upon release both albums immediately entered CD charts in various countries all over the world. When I heard that Tobias had managed to get my all-time favorite artist Alice Cooper to guest on the Avantasia album, I completely freaked out and sent a funny hate-mail to Tobias’ MySpace, which Tobias unfortunately never received. Later on Tobias decided to send a mail to me just to get acquainted, because we had to talk about each other all the time without even knowing each other. We started corresponding quite a lot by mail and as it turned out Tobias in his turn was equally jealous of me getting Bruce Dickinson to guest on an Ayreon album! The idea rose to rise to the challenge set up by the press, put some coal on the fire and record something together. The result is a hilarious cover version of Elected. ‘Elected’ is a cover version of the big hit that – ironically - Alice Cooper had back in 1973, taken from his album “Billion Dollar Babies”.

Read the rest here:
http://www.metalasylum.net/interviews/2008/i0807.html