Interview with Vivian Campbell

I don't get it. Guys like Vivian Campbell and Geoff Tate say they don't even like the music that they're in. Now, i understand that it's a living and you have to pay the bills somehow, but why join a metal band if you don't even like the music? Why not join a band that plays music you're more accustomed to? And you can tell me they did it because back then metal was big and a marketable genre and that makes it worse. Exploiting it for the money. Just riding the wave of the trend. I have very little respect for people like them.

I think Vivian is just saying that because he is really pissed off at Dio though. I mean saying stuff like "And as with Dio, I don't think that we were that big a band and certainly not all that influential" is showing where he is coming from, trying to belittle the band and albums.

Don't know why Viv would feel the need to belittle Dio, it's not as if Dio was ever that big anyway..

:)

Stu said:
Hail Spawny - I bought it!!!! - Fuck man, I have the audio of that concert.... and yes... it brings a tear to the eye to hear halford screaming the sabbath/dio classics - Real metal.
Long live halford.
I'll let ya know what it's like. thanks again -

stu
:headbang: No problem, we expect a review once you have it :)

Wicked Child said:
I don't get it. Guys like Vivian Campbell and Geoff Tate say they don't even like the music that they're in. Now, i understand that it's a living and you have to pay the bills somehow, but why join a metal band if you don't even like the music? Why not join a band that plays music you're more accustomed to? And you can tell me they did it because back then metal was big and a marketable genre and that makes it worse. Exploiting it for the money. Just riding the wave of the trend. I have very little respect for people like them.
I don't know about Tate's angle, but Campbell was a very young guy when he was recruited into the Dio line-up. He probably felt that if he wanted to be a career musician (ie. make a living playing music, and who wouldn't want to do that?), why not take the job? He'd make a name for himself and maybe make a bit of money as well. So for him, being a guitarist is a job. He saw it as a career option, so yeah, he was in it for the money to some degree. Chris Poland and Gar Samuelson weren't heavy metal musicians either when they joined Megadeth. They were playing in a jazz band making a few hundred bucks a week. But again, they were career musicians. They didn't join Megadeth because they necessarily liked heavy metal. Poland has been quoted as saying he'd never even heard of Dave Mustaine until he was offered the job with Megadeth. They did it because the band had just been offered a record deal and they would have a regular gig for a while, but I don't disrespect them anymore than I disrespect Vivian Campbell.

Goreripper said:
I don't know about Tate's angle, but Campbell was a very young guy when he was recruited into the Dio line-up. He probably felt that if he wanted to be a career musician (ie. make a living playing music, and who wouldn't want to do that?), why not take the job? He'd make a name for himself and maybe make a bit of money as well. So for him, being a guitarist is a job. He saw it as a career option, so yeah, he was in it for the money to some degree. Chris Poland and Gar Samuelson weren't heavy metal musicians either when they joined Megadeth. They were playing in a jazz band making a few hundred bucks a week. But again, they were career musicians. They didn't join Megadeth because they necessarily liked heavy metal. Poland has been quoted as saying he'd never even heard of Dave Mustaine until he was offered the job with Megadeth. They did it because the band had just been offered a record deal and they would have a regular gig for a while, but I don't disrespect them anymore than I disrespect Vivian Campbell.
I can see your point about Vivian and also about Chris and Gar, but Chris and Gar (well, not Gar anymore, he's passed on)appreciate their input and contribution to heavy metal, and hell, they've even continued with metal after Megadeth. Chris Poland went on to form the prog-ish metal band Damn The Machine, his solo stuff has some metallic moments as well and Gar went on to form the technical thrash/speed metal band, Fatal Opera, so they did like it enough to keep going with it.