Into Eternity & Amorphis (Chicago Sunday Night at Joe's)

Dustro25

The Land Of Glerz Cove
Jul 25, 2003
Pompano Beach, FL
Visit site
Assembled a good group together to see Into Eternity Sunday night at Joe's, only to find out that they were opening up for Amorphis. They only ended up playing five songs. (Thank God they played two of my favorites!)However, this was a blessing in disguise, because Adam the drummer was very sick and ended up running of the stage at the end of their performance to throw up. :yuk: The new singer sounds awesome... very impressed w/ the vocals. :dopey: He was very clean sounding and hit the high notes w/ ease. There was an improved stage presence over Dean as well(Love Dean on album). The Rest of the band sounded great. I was mostly impressed w/ their vocal ability as a whole . They also looked a bit tired from all the travel. I ran into the new singer in the bathroom and we got to talking about PP and how he and the guys going to be at PP6 to hang out. He also said that they are looking to play for PP7. Which is great news!!!

Amorphis sounded like old Anathama and thats about it for me not really my style...

There were about 200-300 people there maybe...I was looking for more out of the underground Metal scene in Chicago, but maybe it was promoted poorly. Or Amorphis just doesn't pull...

Oh well it also sounded like they were pumped for the Strato tour which is another show to look forward to :Spin:

I really like Amorphis, it is too bad that IE only got to play 5 songs. I heard beyond the embrace was on that tour as well, did you see them? I listened to them today at FYE for the first time, I thought they were alrite nothing really special.

Peace

Stoink

I was at this show. I haven't been to any live music shows for forever, and as Amorphis has been a favorite of mine for years, I gladly went.

Well, as far as the poor turnout, I really think that you have to place blame on the schedule/Sunday nite/# of bands for this. The national tour for this is officially listed as Amorphis, with Into Eternity, Beyond The Embrace, and Single Bullet Theory. This would be a lot of bands as is, and you throw in the fact that for some clusterfuck reason there was a fifth band that drove out from Sacramento :erk: to play (major communication prob from what I heard). Well, they managed to wiggle on this and play about 20 minutes for their efforts. I don't remember their name and they weren't entirely memorable.

Without going into a major review for this, I'll basically say this briefly: IE, BTE, & SBT all were really good openers, especially IE who I had never seen before. I really dug all the vocal variations as well as the two Malmsteens-In-Training on guitar. Man, they smoked! BTE were a mix of Hatebreed-meets-Iron Maiden with three guitars with some great six string harmonies, and SBT were surprisingly good. I was expecting a hard core dog barker MTV2 band, but these dudes were pretty Metal and did a good job opening.

My major prob was just everyones set time suffered because of them going on so late. That Sacramento band went on at 8:40 which was late as is, not to mention just messing with the other bands sets. And as much as I like those other three openers...I'm sorry, but somebody needs to talk to Amorphis or their management and tell them that 80 minutes is not nearly enough time to play for a band that hasn't been to America in four years and has a catalog of songs that has been around for 13-14 years. I was expecting at least 2 hours. From what I could tell their set really wasn't cut that much and was only 1-2 songs short, at most. I mean, who knows when they'll be back again with the way things are (they just got a new vocalist so...?)

Overall I enjoyed myself and my neck is swollen as hell from headbanging like crazy, but I don't go to see a favorite band, stay up later than I usually do just to get a measly 80 minutes. What the fuck ever happened to a band that plays two hours long? :yell:

I looks like Into Eternity is getting longer sets some nights-- from a post on the BraveBoard about a their set list from earlier this week:
SCATTERING OF ASHES===NEW SONG
SPLINTERED VISIONS---VOCAL INTRO
EMBRACED BY DESOLATION

ELYSIUM DREAM
POINT OF UNCERTAINTY
DISTANT PALE FUTURE

3 D APATURE
SHALLOW
BEGINNING OF THE END
SPIRALLING INTO DEPRESSION
SELLING GOD
PARALYZED
IDENTIFY

I believe that's the setlist for the off-tour show Into Eternity did (in CA I think?) without Amorphis or Beyond the Embrace. Since they were headliners, they played for longer. I assume that in the tour with Amorphis and Beyond The Embrace they will play some 5 or 6 songs. Check their forum (on ultimatemetal.com), there are pretty good reviews on some of the shows.

However, if they play the above posted setlist this sunday in NYC, I'll be a happy motherfucker!

dusro2 said:
Assembled a good group together to see Into Eternity Sunday night at Joe's, only to find out that they were opening up for Amorphis. They only ended up playing five songs. (Thank God they played two of my favorites!)However, this was a blessing in disguise, because Adam the drummer was very sick and ended up running of the stage at the end of their performance to throw up. :yuk: The new singer sounds awesome... very impressed w/ the vocals. :dopey: He was very clean sounding and hit the high notes w/ ease. There was an improved stage presence over Dean as well(Love Dean on album). The Rest of the band sounded great. I was mostly impressed w/ their vocal ability as a whole . They also looked a bit tired from all the travel. I ran into the new singer in the bathroom and we got to talking about PP and how he and the guys going to be at PP6 to hang out. He also said that they are looking to play for PP7. Which is great news!!!

Amorphis sounded like old Anathama and thats about it for me not really my style...

There were about 200-300 people there maybe...I was looking for more out of the underground Metal scene in Chicago, but maybe it was promoted poorly. Or Amorphis just doesn't pull...

Oh well it also sounded like they were pumped for the Strato tour which is another show to look forward to :Spin:

Hey Dusro, thanks, but I wasn't on the album, that was Chris Krall. Stu's an experienced frontman, I'm a guitarist. I'm also a shyer person. But I tried. This is what I do best (guitars/vocals/bass/writer) for this band: www.myspace.com/withinanotherguitarist

AngraRULES said:
However, if they play the above posted setlist this sunday in NYC, I'll be a happy motherfucker!

How was the show? I had tickets for it, but had to sell them because I was busy.

Into Eternity put a lot into it Sunday in New York and it really showed. As mentioned before, most of them are sick from the heavy touring schedule and Rob said his back was killing him, but you couldn't tell when they were on stage. Was my first chance to see Stu and he really owns the stage and makes a definite connection with the crowd. I wasn't expecting those awesome high notes he threw in. Excellent addition without detracting from IE's original sound. Overall, despite the sickness and some fried equipment, I think they did an excellent job.

Here's the set list:
Splintered Visions
Embraced by Desolation
Elysium Dream
Point of Uncertainty
Three Dimensional Aperture
Begining of the End

We'll have an interview with Rob posted this weekend along with photos of the show. Here's a couple of photos I threw up onto the web for now.
05into1etern27ux.jpg

05into2etern22wf.jpg

05into4etern34xi.jpg

I caught these guys in NYC on Sunday and last night in Philly and considering they were all getting sick, they put on an incredible show. I really dig the new vocalist. What a range! Sucks that Tim had strep throat and couldn't do much of the vocal harmonies, but his guitar performance was top notch. Their setlist was way too short.

I really think these guys are deserving of a headlining tour. While Amorphis is a solid band, they bored the hell out of me live. They weren't bad for the first few songs, but then everything just started sounding the same to me.