Into Eternity - Dead or Dreaming

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Holy Shit - where did these guys come from? I just got this in today.

It's difficult to describe them (so you can tell they're truly progressive :D ) - the album contains elements of prog and harmonized clean vocals (a la Pain of Salvation - probably PoS's best trademark IMO), galloping power guitar runs (a la Maiden/Nocturnal Rites), vicous death growls (a la Opeth/Soilwork), choir like female chants, and then rounded off with a cosy Thrash blanket.

Anyone else got round to them yet?

Rob K from the Perp Board turned me onto these guys a couple years ago with their first cd, and they have been a mainstay ever since!!!

Dead or Dreaming was in my top 5 for last year and Tim Roth says the new cd is going to smoke Dead or Dreaming, if thats possible!!!

I am looking forward to seing these guys live in Dec, they are touring with Dark Angel, it will be a kick ass show!!!

Bear

Originally posted by Bear
Rob K from the Perp Board turned me onto these guys a couple years ago with their first cd, and they have been a mainstay ever since!!!

Dead or Dreaming was in my top 5 for last year and Tim Roth says the new cd is going to smoke Dead or Dreaming, if thats possible!!!

I am looking forward to seing these guys live in Dec, they are touring with Dark Angel, it will be a kick ass show!!!

Bear

"Dead Or Dreaming" is a 2001 release? Damn... guess I have to take it out of my 2002 Top Ten. :(

For what it's worth, I wouldn't compare these guys to PoS. Nor would I point out that they use "choir like female chants". I think Jay's review is a good one, however, I wouldn't want folks to get the wrong idea about these guys. To my ears, I hear very little that's similar between Into Eternity and P0S. Both are Prog, and both use many different elements in their music, but I feel the similarities end there. Also, the "choir like female chants" are used once, breifly. I'd hate to see people not buy this disc because they were under the impression that these guys were similar in some way to bands like The Gathering.

None the less, I'd agree with Jay, these guys are a must buy.

GZ

P.S. - sorry Jay, it seems like I always end up on the other side of the fence when you post. It's certainly not intentional.

it was originally released in 2001 DVS Records, it says it right on my CD. They did get picked up for distribution by Century Media early this year, so maybe the newer cd's that have CM's mark on them say 2002??? I don't know

Go here to DVS Records it says it there also. http://www.dvsrecords.com/

Bear

it was originally released in 2001 DVS Records, it says it right on my CD. They did get picked up for distribution by Century Media early this year, so maybe the newer cd's that have CM's mark on them say 2002??? I don't know

Bear

My Century Media copy says both 2001 and 2002... so I guess I'll have to include this in my 2001 Top 25 list.

Originally posted by General Zod
For what it's worth, I wouldn't compare these guys to PoS. Nor would I point out that they use "choir like female chants". I think Jay's review is a good one, however, I wouldn't want folks to get the wrong idea about these guys. To my ears, I hear very little that's similar between Into Eternity and P0S. Both are Prog, and both use many different elements in their music, but I feel the similarities end there. Also, the "choir like female chants" are used once, breifly. I'd hate to see people not buy this disc because they were under the impression that these guys were similar in some way to bands like The Gathering.

None the less, I'd agree with Jay, these guys are a must buy.

GZ

P.S. - sorry Jay, it seems like I always end up on the other side of the fence when you post. It's certainly not intentional.

excellent clarification!

Wow - I'd never even heard of them before - was the previous release a demo or something? I didn't see a discography on their website and therefore assumed this was a debut.

Originally posted by General Zod

Gosh - the intracies required to talk about something you like...

I absolutely hate Pain of Salvation - their stuff gets under my skin. I only compared because the three-way vocals are almost identical IMO. In fact, that was the first thing that struck me.

Sorry to all - never intended to dupe you into parting with your hard earned cash on a band that apparently does not sound like, er...The Gathering.....? (never heard of them).

It wasn't really a review. I was just asking to see if anyone else had heard of them.

I got the labum last year as well.
I like it a lot! :headbang:
They are definitely a very original and unique band. I hope their next album will kick ass as well.

Originally posted by JayKeeley
Wow - I'd never even heard of them before - was the previous release a demo or something? I didn't see a discography on their website and therefore assumed this was a debut.

The song Torn kicks massive ass!!!

Bear

Originally posted by JayKeeley
Gosh - the intracies required to talk about something you like...

Sorry to all - never intended to dupe you into parting with your hard earned cash on a band that apparently does not sound like, er...The Gathering.....? (never heard of them).

It wasn't really a review. I was just asking to see if anyone else had heard of them.

I don't think that anyone feels that you were trying to "dupe" them. However, I think some folks have very strong opinions about both PoS and "choir like female chants". I know I'd almost certainly avoid almost anything described as having "choir like female chants". I just wanted to make sure that no one missed out on this band because of what I felt was a misleading description of their music.

GZ