Into Eternity in Poughkeepsie

I just got back from the show at the Loft in Poughkeepsie, NY. This show should have been held at the Chance Theater, which is part of a three-club complex. The Chance holds maybe 800-1,000 max, Club Crannell holds maybe 300, and the Loft 200 if it's shoulder to shoulder. Well, the owner is throwing a lot of metal shows into the Loft now, a small 2nd floor portion of the complex. The sound isn't all that great, it's set up weird (too much free space on the side of the stage) and it's just not a good place to play, particularly for high profile bands. Last time Into Eternity came through here with Hate Eternal, my band WithinAnother played with them in the Chance Theater. Why they had to play at the Loft this time is beyond me.
But enough of this boring rant shit.

OK, so the club was small and there were maybe 80 to 100 people there, which surprised me. Where the hell was everyone on a Friday night? Despite that, it was a good receptive crowd who reacted strongly to all the bands.

Single Bullet Theory were tight as hell. Given a better P.A. I think they would have crushed. I've known Matt DiFabio (lead singer/guitarist) for years and have seen his band evolve, and I think this is their best lineup yet. They're kind of a cross between American metalcore and Gothenburg melodic death. Very heavy and great on-stage energy. It was cool to hang with Matt and catch up with him after the show.

Beyond The Embrace--I saw these guys a few times before they were signed. They were good then, and they're just sick now. I think the biggest inprovement has happened in the vocal department. I've heard that their studio albums don't come close to their live sound. Even with the sub-par P.A. the three-guitar attack was evident and came across well. These guys banged hard and got a pit going. Great band, great songs and a great show. I agree, they need a producer on the next CD to capture the live sound. I wonder if Metal Blade would foot the bill for Andy Sneap?

Into Eternity--what can I say? It was so great to see these guys again. Even though I was only with them for ProgPower and one tour, I missed hanging and playing with them. I talked to them a bit (welcome to our small town ghetto), got to meet Stu and then had the privilege of watching them tear it up from a spectator's point of view. What I saw was a band that's playing heavier and faster. Adam and Troy have grown into complete monsters on their instruments, and Adam in particular was just inhuman behind the kit. Tim and Rob were sick as usual, pulling off the riffs and solos with little effort. As for Stu--he added a few subtle changes to some of the vocal lines to fit his style, which sounded to me like a blend of Devin Townsend and Rob Halford. His death vocals were brutal and he really gave himself a workout with his very high range. This isn't falsetto folks, he sings the high stuff from the chest with power. He's a madman onstage and everyone in the band worked the crowd. Troy played his bass like he was trying to kill it, but he always does that:headbang:. Kudos for the finger picking!
Tim's throat was bothering him and he didn't sing a lot, so I was really tempted to jump up and cover his parts. Part of me really wanted to be up there with them again, but it was also great to just watch them annihilate. It was also nice not to have to load up the gear afterwards!:D A lot of the people were there for IE, and they seemed to get the loudest response. Hopefully I'll get to BB King's in NYC Sunday to see them on a real stage!

Amorphis--they were awesome. Like the other bands, I've seen these guys before, and the new singer is a big improvement. Back are the death vocals, and a good amount of older material was played, plus a few songs off Tuneola (my personal fav). Even the songs off the last album, which I thought blew, sounded great and a lot more powerful. I've been reading that Amorphis has been coming across as boring compared to the rest of the bands, but I thought they were a good fit for this bill. They're flawless, trippy and just a great blend of folkish-atmosphere and good solid metal. Maybe it was the small venue, but they were heavier than I last remember them.

Yeah, so there's my lengthy take on the night. Great to see everyone again and Stu, you da' man! See you at BB King's.

I traveled a very very long time to go to this show hahaha .. and the Loft is a Fucking Dump I thought Rob was going to bounce his head off the airduct... But Into Eternity Did GREAT all things considered! They Busted ass and Put on a great show! Lets Just hope they dont continue to get jammed into Crawlspaces

Well, I was hoping to get to BB King's Sunday to see them at a proper venue but after having to hand over what was left of my paycheck to Motor vehicles I was strapped until next payday. Thanks to the guys for putting us on the guestlist, sorry we didn't make it. Get healthy, enjoy the rest of the tour and see you when you come through with Hate Eternal.

I was at the show Friday night, and I'd be lying if I said I was
anything other than disappointed. I'll admit that most of the reasons
were not things in the band's control, but this was not the
representation of Into Eternity my friends and I anticipated. For
starters, the 6 song set list was a big disappointment (not the song
choices). I heard a couple of the guys were under the weather, but I
was expecting an hour long set, or close to it...not a 25-30 minute
set. The band played great, but the club and it's sound system
were awful.

As stated in the above posts, the club is a dump. It's upstairs, and the
room is shaped like an L, with the stage in the corner. None of these
qualities do anything positive for the acoustics. The sound where I
was standing - out front - sucked. The completely blown PA monitor
above Tim Roth's head and the awful layout of the room were big
factors. Tim's cabinet was on the right wall facing left across the
front of the stage. The rest of the cabinets were on the back wall
facing out. I don't know if people on the left of the stage had the
reverse problem, but Tim's vocals and guitars were barely audible for
the entire set and were drowned out by the rest of the band, whose stage
volume seemed way too loud. I don't mind loud shows, but when it's all
stage volume, and the mix coming through the PA blows, it's nothing
but annoying, regardless if the band is tight as hell (and they were). The vocals (sans Tim) were also way too loud in the mix, and it was as if the sound guy was compensating for the stage volume by cranking the vocals through the PA. When Rob and Troy screamed, they sounded great, just too loud. Once again, the speaker above Tim that was facing the crowd was fried, which made dealing with the volume that much worse.

As far as the new singer goes, I'll just say that I wasn't blown away.
His death vocals were flawless, but his clean, high pitched stuff was
out of key the majority of the set. I have to give him a pass though
because if what he was hearing (or not hearing) on stage sounded
anything like what I was hearing out front, it's very understandable as
to why he would be out of pitch. He did do some very impressive VERY
high pitched stuff reminiscent of Eric A.K. from Flotsam & Jetsam that
was very cool (think 'She Took An Axe'). I won't be sold on Stu though
until I either see them again, or hear the new album.

It's too bad I won't be able to catch them at any of the other upcoming
NY area shows. I do believe that seeing these guys at a better club,
with a better sound system - the Downtown on Long Island on 3/30, for
instance - would make a world of difference. Please understand I love
these guys and I'm not trying to badmouth them in any way, but the
whole experience on Friday night did not live up to my expectations, and
I'm just being honest. I am not jumping ship just yet....I will go see
them again as soon as possible.

I did get to tell Tim after the show that Buried In Oblivion was, by
far, my favorite album of 2004, and that it wasn't even close, to which
he was very appreciative. Good luck on the rest of the tour, guys.