New Metal Member
Sep 22, 2010
Title: Into the Darkness
Link: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9052621
Album: Surreal Nightmares (Track #2)
Year: 2010
Genre: Rock/Metal/Soundtrack/Progressive
Theme: Dark/Eerie/Wicked
Notes: The guitar tracks are done with Electri6ity. The song contains some orchestral elements that blends well with the heavy rock elements. This song is a part of a story that goes with the "Surreal Nightmares" theme. It follows "Starless Night" on the album. I need to finish putting the story together, which then the song may make more sense. This song flips between rhythm focused and melody focused and after the first rhythm focused part, the rhythm becomes the melody. It's the first time I've ever done anything like that and I think it turned out excellent. I used two lead guitars in which their purpose is strictly to add to the eerie background elements. There are also some ambient elements resembling a creature of some sorts...

I hate bumping shit, but I forgot to ask what everyone thought of the guitars? How's the tone and performance of them? Also, what about the mix? Does it sound well balanced? Enough low-end? I have to rework the guitar tracks and balance the mix of the other two songs I have on the album (so far) and just want to make sure I'm in the right direction.

Thanks!

Are those real drums? The snare needs to come up with a lot more "snap" to it and the hi-hat needs to go way down. The toms sounds awesome.

I'm not a huge fan of everything up til 1:30. It all sounds like Tim Burton wrote a song. Kinda like kooky, goofy spooky. Everything after that is pretty cool man. You are like a creepy, evil Transiberian Orchestra.

Guitar tone is pretty cool for the style you were going for. Maybe a little too synthetic but not bad.

Thanks for the advice, dude. The drums are not real, they are Superior Drummer 2.0. I programmed them in PRV mode. I agree with the snare - I'll work on giving it more snap/attack. I thought the hats were decent, but I'll look at revisiting that.

The song is supposed to be serious, not goofy... lol. The album will have a story behind it and this is part #2. What makes the first part of the song sound goofy to you? The ambience? Some of the orchestration?

Everything after that is pretty cool man. You are like a creepy, evil Transiberian Orchestra.

Haha, now that's a compliment... that rocks! Thanks!

I will likely tweak the guitars yet. There are four rhythm guitar tracks, two hard left, two hard right, and all have different "signal chains". They are routed through Guitar Rig 4 Pro where I created my own presets using the Rammfire amp and cabinet. I don't mind them sounding somewhat synthetic, considering that everything is done with softsynths and VSTs anyways. I expect them to be actually.

Real guitars would make this song way better. I would suggest that you record the parts you wrote on guitar. If your not a guitar player you could kidnap one and make them play it for you.