Introducing someone to prog rock

calcsam

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2005
I'm introducing a friend of mine to progressive rock. So far, I've burned her both Torquestra CDs as well as Images and Words, which she said she really liked. What do you guys think I should give her next to introduce her to prog rock? I'm thinking of A Change of Seasons, Scenes from a Memory, and Liquid Tension Experiment as well as Shadow Gallery's Tyranny.

This one is a tough one.

I would spread it out. I'm a big DT fan, but spread it out.
If you think they are into the heavier genres of Prog I recommend:
DT - Scenes
Threshold (any of their last three)
Adagio - Underworld
Pain of Salvation - Perfect Element
Symphony X - V Mythology Suite
Dreamscape - End of Light
SG - Tyranny

If they may be into the lighter prog (rock), then throw these at um:
Ritual
Jadis - Across the Water
IQ - Ever
Glass Hammer
Enchant (any of their last three)
Kino

Many other bands out there but these are the ones that stand out in my mind.

Hope that helps,
CM

she's mostly into lighter stuff, indie/emo-ish stuff (Keane, Yellowcard, Death Cab for Cutie, The Postal Service). Actually, she liked some of the harder music (Savatage, for example) that I didn't think she would.

update: thanks for the advice! She now likes DT, Savatage, and TSO, among others.

Another good light prog rock is The Flower Kings.

Musical tastes are weird, people listen to things for different reasons. I'd say make a mix CD and see what she responds to. I recently got someone into both Transiberian Orchestra and Therion. I also lent here some Blind Guardian and she seemed to like it. Some people are there for guitar, others drums, others lyrics or purely vocals, or even the "sound." But fortunately there's plenty of that to choose from in the prog rock realm.

Get her started on Yes- Fragile. I hooked my brother onto prog with it when he was 3 years old and he's still into prog. BTW, Blind Guardian and Nightwish are not prog.

My brother got me hooked on prog when I was around 11-12... It was first Dream Theater, then Queensryche whom I still enjoy. In the last few years these bands have been added to my collection:: Kamelot, Evergrey, Epica, Nevermore, Therion, and ofcourse Symphony X... It is difficult to introduce a mainstream radio listener to prog but I have done it before and they never knew this genre existed. I try all the time to but where I am from, Grand Rapids, Mi, prog is barely known. I notice all the prog bands go to Detroit, MI instead of coming right to my area. There isn't a strong fan base for them here.