Greatest Prog Bands of All Time

Jazz is great for its freedom of expression, and it takes you on a whole different trip than any other music. Personally, I love Jaco Pastorius' work. As a bassist, there's so much that I and others can learn from him.

I haven't listened any other albums of theirs but Pallas - The Dreams Of Men is one of the best prog rock albums for me. A recent masterpiece that will most probably be a future classic IMO...

OfSinsAndShred said:
I think it's great what they do, but I'm rarely in the mood to listen to it. I'm a little bit more of a classical guy, I guess.

Opposite for me. I've recently started getting into jazz fusion, and I like it just as much or more than most metal. I can only listen to classical every once in a while though. I've only heard a little bit of Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, and some other people. I guess I'm not hooked yet.

As a keyboard player and a fan of jazz, players like Corea, Hancock, Jarret, Zawinul, and even smooth jazz players like Schuman really appeal to me.
However, apart from jazz, there are other really talented guys out there, modern day examples would be Jordan Rudess, Kevin Moore, and even Michael Pinella, just to name a couple in the prog genre. For me though, musicians like Emerson, Wakeman, Manzarek, Preston, etc. really spurred this genre and were the original masters behind what is now the role of the keyboard in prog music.

Oh, and RobbM, sorry if i'm not creative enough, but the type of music under discussion says otherwise. I'm just making conversation.

prog metal (in no particular order):
ark
dream theater
symphony x

I don't really listen to much prog rock so I can't really make a judgement.

Pain of Salvation
Opeth

Yes
Rush

I'm surprised that these bands haven't made any lists...

Porcupine Tree
Riverside
7 for 4
Wastefall

Jazz Fusion stuff...

Karcius
Lane/Sipe/Helborg
Return to Forever