Best prog band ever?

NeverIsForever said:
Of the bands you listed, the only one I've heard is Yes :Spin: They weren't bad, but they didn't exactly blow me away. I'll have to check out some of the others; people seem to mention Rush and Camel all the time...

well, imho, King Crimson, Genesis & Van der Graaf Generator are way more interesting than Rush & Camel... also, Yes kinda bore me for being too pompous but their album Relayer is an awesome catch

as for those two you wanted to try, here are my suggestions :

Rush - Moving Pictures
Camel - Mirage

this those two you can't do wrong ! :D

I like something from just about every lineup of King Crimson. The first lineup had ITCotCK, the 1970-72 transitional lineup had Lizard. The Wetton-Buford era had the outstanding Red album and some killer instrumentals from the other 2 albums like Fracture, LTiA pt.1 and 2. The 80s era had Discipline and some great tunes from Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair. Thrak is a great album and while The Construction of Light and The Power To Believe are both weak albums , they atleast have some great instrumentals. I think maybe Crimson should just release an instrumental album because their songs are kind of weak nowadays. King Crimson could possibly even benefit by doing an album with a full orchestra,I know they are hugely influenced by Bela Bartok and Igor Stravinsky.

Tool and The Mars Volta may not be Prog in the classic sence, but I still like them more than any modern day Prog group I know of.

T.I.E. said:
well, imho, King Crimson, Genesis & Van der Graaf Generator are way more interesting than Rush & Camel... also, Yes kinda bore me for being too pompous but their album Relayer is an awesome catch

as for those two you wanted to try, here are my suggestions :

Rush - Moving Pictures
Camel - Mirage

this those two you can't do wrong ! :D
thanks for the advice, man :D

Even though I personally like Rush and Opeth more, I'm going to have to go with Yes. They are, in my mind, THE prog rock band.

Chris Squire is the shit.

Deadite said:
Even though I personally like Rush and Opeth more, I'm going to have to go with Yes. They are, in my mind, THE prog rock band.

Chris Squire is the shit.

yeah... sure...

too bad they also have the über-pompous Rick Wakeman on the keyboards ! :erk:

that's probably why I like Relayer the best, Moraz kicked ass and turned Yes into a much better band imo... :)

TylerTheNuke said:
the line between fusion and prog rock is thin, and while I agree with the devils steed on this one, it could be argued.....

I wouldn't really say that...some prog artists have dabbled in jazz fusion (like King Crimson) however, if a band is primarily jazz fusion and doesn't just experiment with it from time to time, it's still a jazz band.