Best prog band ever?

WarHammer

Sep 7, 2002
Lexington, S.C.
Visit site
I am curious of your opinions. I truly believed it was Rush for a long time, then Dream Theater hit me like a freight train. Also I think even though they've broken up, Transatlantic put out some of the most solid prog I've ever heard. I have heard the classics like King Crimson and Floyd and what not, but I truly believe Dream Theater and its members(Petrucci, Portnoy, Myung, and Rudess namely, I think LaBrie should maybe stick to DT) are putting out some of the best stuff around. Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic, Rudess/Morgenstein Project, Platypus(and of course now Jelly Jam), Rudess and Petrucci's seperate solo efforts, I believe these men are an unstoppable prog force, and the greatest prog force in history. All hail Dream Theater.

Dream Theater for me...The Mars Volta is quite good, but sometimes I just feel like they're playing long songs for the hell of it.

I think Dream Theater are one of the worst "prog" bands in existence, but to me, calling them prog is a joke. They aren't "progressive" at all. What have they done new? All they do is steal from other, better, bands. They have no originality and even worse, no soul. They are regressive rock. Not progressive.

That said, I would say that the best prog rock band of all time has to be Pink Floyd. King Crimson's up there though. Newer bands, while they've impressed me many times, have not had the career those two bands have had, so they don't quite stack up YET.

What's your favorite King Crimson release? I have to go with the fan favorite, In the Court of the Crimson King, but Starless the Bible Black and Lark's Tongue in Aspic are almost as good, imo.

Decollated Pariah said:
I think Dream Theater are one of the worst "prog" bands in existence, but to me, calling them prog is a joke. They aren't "progressive" at all. What have they done new? All they do is steal from other, better, bands. They have no originality and even worse, no soul. They are regressive rock. Not progressive.

That said, I would say that the best prog rock band of all time has to be Pink Floyd. King Crimson's up there though. Newer bands, while they've impressed me many times, have not had the career those two bands have had, so they don't quite stack up YET.

It is un-surprising ot me that you would say Pink Floyd. As for your synapsis that Dream Theater is the worst for their unoriginality, I would call you a hypocrite. Every band in the world rips off some other band. If you are inspired by something, then obviously your sound will resemble that thing to some extent. Inspiration leads to music, so the music inevitably will resemble the inspiration. Their originality might lie in the fact that their mixture of inspirations was put together in an original way. Pink Floyd doubtlessly sounds remarkably similar to whomever they were inspired by. To say they're not progressive is ridiculous, even if you don't like them. I will stand here and now and say I would rather listen to Dream Theater than Floyd, because when it comes right down to it, Floyd are boring. I understand the music, nothing has gone over my head, it's just plain boring. At least Dream Theater has a pulse.

Seriously? You guys are picking Dream Theater? Wow, musical ineptitude at its finest. Dream Theater is vomit-inducing shredwankery.

Portnoy: most overrated drummer in history
Petrucci: his playing = linear diarrhea
LaBrie: terrible pussy voice
the rest: who cares

So anyway, on with the question. I'd say my favorite prog band is the Beatles (yeah dipshit, they were progressive rock from Revolver on, and probably the most progressive band of 1966-1967)

But the best prog band is probably Yes or King Crimson.