John Petrucci

I've known John for close to 15 years. We grew up together on Long Island, and he used to be the coolest guy. Took a few lessons from him in the berkely days, jammed with him and mike a few times, back in the majesty days.

Well i ran in to him in the SmithHaven mall about a year ago, around the time 6 degrees came out, and let me tell you it was like the dude never knew me. We used to chill at sparks on deer park avenue for days at a time, drinkin beers, shootin the shit. Rena even remeberd me, but not john. He HAS become the total arrogant prick. And he doesnt play a single good solo on the new album ... all fast chromatic BULL****. If it wasnt for Portnoy still being cool, i probably wouldnt even listen anymore, cause johns playing is WAY STALE.

guitarguru777 said:
Well i ran in to him in the SmithHaven mall about a year ago, around the time 6 degrees came out, and let me tell you it was like the dude never knew me. We used to chill at sparks on deer park avenue for days at a time, drinkin beers, shootin the shit. Rena even remeberd me, but not john. He HAS become the total arrogant prick.
With respect, all I read from that is that he made a bigger impression on you than you did for him. How does that translate to arrogance?

I've known John for close to 15 years.

Just a thought, but it sounds more like you knew john 15 years ago. If you knew him for 15 years, that gives me the impression that you were in touch with him,,,which you weren't.

How can you say that man!!!! Petrucci's the most modest guitar player I've ever seen or heard. I actually met him too on the last leg of the "Escape from the Studio Tour." He's a very down-to-earth guy. He had no problem answering questions and signing stuff. One big fat guy even went up to him with his DT collection and John signed the cases and the inserts. Portnoy does have an ego but the man has been through alot. (directed to first line in thread)

FireStrings85 said:
How can you say that man!!!! Petrucci's the most modest guitar player I've ever seen or heard. I actually met him too on the last leg of the "Escape from the Studio Tour." He's a very down-to-earth guy. He had no problem answering questions and signing stuff. One big fat guy even went up to him with his DT collection and John signed the cases and the inserts. Portnoy does have an ego but the man has been through alot. (directed to first line in thread)

I have never seen DT live myself, but my friend had the pleasure of seeing them live. He met JP and got his Scenes from a Memory signed, and according to him John answered all his questions about guitar playing. (not sure what he asked Im not a musician and would not understand anyway) And also was very gracious when he complimented him on being great.

So there is another a good story.

Seems like John maybe a person who prefers to keep to himself. Think of it as if you just came home from a hard day of work, and you 500 people at your front door wanting you to talk them for hours and sign every little thing they come up with. Its exshausting. Give band members their space, if they come out and shake hands and sign stuff then thats cool, but if they prefer to go to the tour bus and sleep or whatever then thats their business. They should not be consider arrogant pricks for it.

I remeber when I saw Strapping Young Lad, the drummer after the show went straight for the bus, we cheered at him and he gave us the \m/ sign and went in the bus. While Devin Townsend stayed outside to shoot the shit with us and sign whatever we had. So always keep in mind they are humans like us and value their personal space as well.

You know, who really cares if JP is a nice guy or not? This whole thread just sounds like high school bullshit full of rumors and gossip.

Some people are cool, some people are assholes. Simple as that, no need to go in depth about it.

COBSteele02 said:
I remeber when I saw Strapping Young Lad, the drummer after the show went straight for the bus, we cheered at him and he gave us the \m/ sign and went in the bus. While Devin Townsend stayed outside to shoot the shit with us and sign whatever we had. So always keep in mind they are humans like us and value their personal space as well.
Ah, Gene Hoglan...a God indeed.

I shook his hand at the 1995 Death show in Minneapolis. *shoots load*

the_satanic_rabbit said:
Ah, Gene Hoglan...a God indeed.

I shook his hand at the 1995 Death show in Minneapolis. *shoots load*

I know, I never really payed attention, but I listened to Symbolic recently, and holy shit, I'm loving that album, especially the drums. Gene Hoglan is great!

Very interesting thread...having been around the Music Scene and the Sports Scene it's hard for many people to empathize with the Stars of today with the M$ homes and pockets full of cash. I do not Know JP said hi to him once said hi back...does not make him nice or bad...never met Michael Romeo,...seemed like a cool guy on stage ...again no clue...I have met Geoff Tate, Eddie Jackson and Micahel Wilton... for the 30 minutes I was in there presence they seemed like great guys...again who knows. My point is that you would not necessarily befriend someone based on 5 minutes of discussion or attempted discussion.
So to a lesser extend it's difficult to judge another's character based on brief moments in time, especially when many others are pulling you in different directions. One of the best examples I can give is last year I went to Yankee game...had seats really close to home plate...Steve Karsay, whom I had heard some great things about would not sign my sons program in fact he pushed it back once...was it because my son was wearing a Red Sox hat and Steve was a big jerk or some other issue? Don't Know...Don't really care...point is that Steve Karsay might be a really great guy who we caught in a tough moment.
Dont be too quick to judge people...good or bad..

Reagards
LTDTFAN