John Petrucci

MorphineChild205

Lt. Horatio Caine
Jun 20, 2003
Chicago
Am I the only one who sees John Petrucci as an arrogant prick?

If you just listen to him talk, you can hear that he's completely full of himself. I've seen Dream Theater numerous times, and met Myung, Portnoy, LaBrie and Rudess, but Petrucci just walked onto the bus and never came out to associate with the fans. This happened twice - the second time he stayed in the venue. I've also heard from many Dream Theater fans say that he did this numerous times (didn't speak to the fans)...

It's pretty obvious that Portnoy has ego problems, too, but he's never been a prick to the fans.

Petrucci is an excellent guitar player and writer, but that doesn't give him the right to be an arrogant jackass to his fans.

MorphineChild205 said:
Am I the only one who sees John Petrucci as an arrogant prick?

If you just listen to him talk, you can hear that he's completely full of himself. I've seen Dream Theater numerous times, and met Myung, Portnoy, LaBrie and Rudess, but Petrucci just walked onto the bus and never came out to associate with the fans. This happened twice - the second time he stayed in the venue. I've also heard from many Dream Theater fans say that he did this numerous times (didn't speak to the fans)...

It's pretty obvious that Portnoy has ego problems, too, but he's never been a prick to the fans.

Petrucci is an excellent guitar player and writer, but that doesn't give him the right to be an arrogant jackass to his fans.

I've heard that since G3 he's been a bit of a "rock star" tho I can't comment on specific incidents.

With all due respect, JP has the right to do what he wants. I'm sure if you were at the same skill level, you might just have a little ego yourself. So before you condemn a person, imagine yourself in the same situation. Personally, after playing a 3 hour set, I wouldn't want to hang out aftershow for another few hours. I MIGHT be a little bit tired. Oh well, I can't speak for anyone here but myself. I, however, have not found anything to complain about with JP.

On one hand, I can see how JP would want to go straight to the bus after the show- there are usually so many people waiting for autographs, that it is almost chaos (it is for this reason that I don't try to get the signatures of members I missed last time)

However, the two times I met him, he was very nice to me. I had some drawings I made of him and the band, and he seemed to really like them, told me I did a good job, smiled, etc. The others had nothing much to say about my drawings. But that was awhile ago. I do think that JP has been sucked into rock-stardom, and it is quite disappointing.

Divine_Tragedy said:
With all due respect, JP has the right to do what he wants. I'm sure if you were at the same skill level, you might just have a little ego yourself. So before you condemn a person, imagine yourself in the same situation. Personally, after playing a 3 hour set, I wouldn't want to hang out aftershow for another few hours. I MIGHT be a little bit tired. Oh well, I can't speak for anyone here but myself. I, however, have not found anything to complain about with JP.

Everyone is different, but Romeo is a virtuoso guitarist as well and he is super humble (try telling him he's better than Yngwie if you ever meet him) and he almost always takes at least a little time to say hi to the fans. As far as Im concerned, the only reason a band has not to give even 5 minutes to your fans aftershow is because of a tight tour schedule (need to get back on the road quickly) or if you're sick or something.

Of course I prefer it when musician take their time to speak to a couple of fans after a gig, but I can understand Petrucci´s attitude as well. Some people just aren´t that eager to dive into a horde of people after playing their ass off on stage for 3 hours and long for a little bit of privacy and rest.

Well, Petrucci does have skills, no doubt about that, but that is NO reason for him to act like a primadonna.Take a look at Michael Romeo, he`s much more skilled and also alot nicer and "Down to earth" towards the fans.

Yngvai
How does Michael Romeo respond if you tell him he is better than Yngwie? I know MR has a lot of respect for Yngwie. I have never seen Yngwie comment on him even though I have asked that question at yngwie.org a few times. I am going to see SyX live for the first time in Omaha on the 25th. I am really excited for the show. I like Yngwie a lot, but I think MJR owns him from technique to songwriting.

sweepking said:
I have never seen Yngwie comment on him even though I have asked that question at yngwie.org a few times.

I read somewhere (I forget where at the moment) that Yngwie said Symphony X is one of the best neo-classical bands out there. He didn't mention Romeo by name, though.

He mentioned SX in Guitar World. He was talking about the fact that there's a bigger market for neoclassical in Europe. It was basically:

"Bands like Symphony X and Rhapsody draw huge crowds in Europe, but no one knows they exist here in America."

sweepking said:
Yngvai
How does Michael Romeo respond if you tell him he is better than Yngwie? I know MR has a lot of respect for Yngwie. I have never seen Yngwie comment on him even though I have asked that question at yngwie.org a few times. I am going to see SyX live for the first time in Omaha on the 25th. I am really excited for the show. I like Yngwie a lot, but I think MJR owns him from technique to songwriting.

He just starts saying like "dude shut the fuck up I can't even TOUCH Yngwie, Yngwie is GOD" etcetc