John Petrucci

Sorry its taken so long to respond i been on the road working on a movie (im a prop guy not an actor)

Well when you hang out with a guy at least 2 days a week, playing nintendo at his house. Drinkin beers, jammin, trading licks, he's usually considered a friend. Hell when sherinian was in the band we used to go hang at his place in astoria queens, and watch him jam with his cover band ethyl mertz. That was right around the time change of seasons came out.

Since then ill admit we have lost touch a bit. Im busy doing the movie thing, and johns....well you know.

But still man i dunno about you guys but i still remember my very 1st student, i also remember friends from the the 2nd grade and im still cool with them.

As for Rena, shes always been cool. Ive known her just about as long as john, and we always had awsome times talking about other bands and shit.

As for him making a bigger impression on me, John never made a real impression on me. We were friends, i always held him in high regard as a player till 6 degrees came out. his style went from tatesful and melodic to absolute shredd with 0% feeling. YO JOHN .. Sweeping arpeggios (the way you do it) has been dead since the 80's......lol

Now that ive said my piece... I sill think mike kicks his ass every which way but loose. Songwriting, Feeling, Melody.... Id like to see trucci do this shit nowadays ... Hes too busy pawning overpriced guitars, and boss effects pedals, Not to mention in every damned interview kissin mark snyders ass. Not to say marks a bad guy, but come on ...... we've known since Awake mark snyder built your "CUSTOM MULTI-PIN SYSTEM"

The new album still rips ... i love when they play hevy shit, but theres too many ripoffs on the CD. They been ripping off the same bands since Metro 2k
Tool, Metallica, Megadeth..... My god .. labrae even does the distored grouch vocal just like mustaine. Not to mention the EXACT metallica riff in (o damn cant remember the song name..i think its in the name of god). i think Maynard needs to get in touch with John and kick his ass. Its boring now. it was a cool tribute to those bands the 1st time they did it ... i mean the riff in "HOME" IS!!! the riff from 46 x 2......

I think they are running out of ideas FAST. you can only play so much "CHROMATIC" shit before it all sounds the same.

Actually im not bitter at all .... just pointing out that he forgets the little guys ......

Hell i saw shreinian like amonth ago and he rememberd me and we hung out all of 5 times. its just the type of guy john is.

w/e

Ive moved on .... i was just relating my experiences ... but come on all the other shit about the song writing is DEAD on .... admit it

Well, I give a damn about JP being an arrogant asshole, or your friendly neighbourhood shredder. I think especially with bands like Dream Theater it should be all about music and not this half-real stardom crap.
These people are musicians, people like you and me with an extraordinary job. They have earned my respect by writing and playing great songs, but they don't owe me nothing at all.
If they prefer not to talk to their fans, its ok with me, for I wouldn't want to be forced to play the perfect gentleman all the time, if I just don't feel like it.

My suggestion: Pay more attention to the music and less to the people behind it, because:

1. The fewest (maybe none of us) know them good enough to judge over them.

2. Who the hell cares for it anyway?

-Meaning no offense, its just my opinion, mkay?-

You gotta love people that dont actually read the WHOLE thread .... lol

I never said i DIDNT like DT ....

Me and another guiy were talking about JOHN specifically ... and this is a thread about JOHN .... lol

Why wouldnt we talk about him .... lol

guitarguru777 said:
Actually im not bitter at all .... just pointing out that he forgets the little guys ......

Hell i saw shreinian like amonth ago and he rememberd me and we hung out all of 5 times. its just the type of guy john is.

w/e
Do you have any idea how many people he has probably met by now? If I were him, I know I sure as hell wouldn't remember every single one of the 'little guys'.

I met him back in 2000 during the SFaM tour and he was really cool. I haven't met him after the G3 tour though, so I can't really comment on whether he has gotten into that rock star mode (although it certainly wouldn't surprise me... I know if I was in his position, I would probably be just a little arrogant). From all the experiences my friends have told me about, he seems like a nice guy though. And my boyfriend has met him on several occasions and he's been nice to him as well. He even signed my boyfriend's Ibanez JPM P3 (which now belongs to me). :D

Me and another guiy were talking about JOHN specifically ... and this is a thread about JOHN .... lol

Or not,,,

As for Rena, shes always been cool
I sill think mike kicks his ass every which way but loose. Songwriting, Feeling, Melody
My god .. labrae even does the distored grouch vocal just like mustaine. Not to mention the EXACT metallica riff in (o damn cant remember the song name..i think its in the name of god). i think Maynard needs to get in touch with John and kick his ass. Its boring now. it was a cool tribute to those bands the 1st time they did it ... i mean the riff in "HOME" IS!!! the riff from 46 x 2......

Yeah, you've been talking all about john.

having had the pleasure of haning out with romeo after the show, i can say that he is indeed a very nice guy, but what does romeo have to do with this thread? :)

Petrucci is one of if not my overall favorite musicians, but i havent met him personally and cant comment on any of htis. But think aobout, like others have said, after a show hes probably really tired. hes been ona bus all day, then gets to the venue where there is setting up and soundchecks for hours, and then finally he plays for 3 hours, its def awesome when the band hangs out after a show but it shouldnt be a requirement, correct me if im wrong, but none of you actually know petrucci personally so you arent in any position to comment on his personallity

I have the honor of both seeing Dream Theater and Symphony X in concert (DT in Pompano Florida w/ Joe Satch and SyX in Brooklyn by themselves) and JP is much more of a "rock star" (ignores fans and such) than Romeo, I've actually met him and had a conversation with him the last concert I went to... however if SyX was as big as DT is I don't know if Romeo would act the same way but my bet is that he wouldn't

I have never met someone from a band. If I did, I sure wouldn't act like a fanboy and ask questions about upcoming music or whatever. They get that all the time, and I bet it bores them. If I met JP, I'd probably just be like "What's up, man?" and I dunno... maybe ask him if he's seen Kill Bill 2 or whatever else came to mind. I bet these guys yearn to be treated like an average joe again.

Yeah, it's like comparing apples to oranges as far as Romeo and Petrucci goes. Symphony X doesn't have nearly the same exposure Dream Theater has, so who knows if Romeo would act similarly to Petrucci if he was in his shoes?

He mentioned SX in Guitar World. He was talking about the fact that there's a bigger market for neoclassical in Europe. It was basically:

"Bands like Symphony X and Rhapsody draw huge crowds in Europe, but no one knows they exist here in America."

Well I think they do now in america.

Also, wow, this thread is 9 years old.

Meh, they are different and it's a great thing because I can learn licks from both and not fall into learning the same pattern.

Probably my 2 favourites in term of influencial guitar players for me.
Malmsteen, P Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, MacAlpine are in that crew too for me.

Seems like Ken lives on this forum, everytime I write here he responds.. and I come here once every few months.

Seems like Ken lives on this forum, everytime I write here he responds.. and I come here once every few months.

maybe he visits more often? doesn't mean he spends an hour every time he looks at the board, lol. also, ultimate metal hosts more forums than symphony X. also, it's more normative to regularly visit something like a forum in which you post and contribute discussion to, than "once every few months".