Best prog band ever?

Shadows Skulk said:
Seriously? You guys are picking Dream Theater? Wow, musical ineptitude at its finest. Dream Theater is vomit-inducing shredwankery.

Portnoy: most overrated drummer in history
Petrucci: his playing = linear diarrhea
LaBrie: terrible pussy voice
the rest: who cares

So anyway, on with the question. I'd say my favorite prog band is the Beatles (yeah dipshit, they were progressive rock from Revolver on, and probably the most progressive band of 1966-1967)

But the best prog band is probably Yes or King Crimson.

First, King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King from 1969 was the first prog rock album.

Second, psychedelia is NOT prog rock. The Beatles were NEVER prog rock. Hell, they broke up before prog rock even came out.

Beatles are progressive, but not "Prog" with a capital P. ItCotCK was the first album that was true prog, but later KC abandoned that for experimental rock and jazz-rock and proto-Metal. Personally, I could care less about whether or not it is "Prog", If its progressive, its progressive, enough said.

I say Dream Theater as well even though it seems to be the current trend to bag them out on these forums.Also Spastic Ink and Liquid Tension Experiment which ya can put LTE under Dream Theater anyway. Seeing as they are all metal bands I think the best prog band in my eyes whether every one disagrees they are prog is 7 for 4.
I just don't know what is prog anymore because there are so many different interpretations of this genre by nearly every fan. As long as my music I listen to is complex and thoughtful IMHO then it is all good.

Since Six degrees... Dream Theater is shit, but the old stuff is awesome (Awake :headbang: ). Is difficult to say which is the best prog band ever, but i can say some of my favourite bands since 70's, King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Elp, Anglagard, Dream Theater, Aghora, The Mars Volta, ...............and more

I see many do not agree with my opinion of Dream Theater being the best prog band, but I feel it is unfair. I realize I too was unfair to fans of Crimson and Floyd, and I apologize. The fact is, I've looked more deeply into both bands and find little negative things to say, but my opinion is still that Dream Theater are the best, or at least my favorite. I don't see that as musical ineptitude, I see it as my opinion. I respect others, but have my own as well. They release music that continues to challenge me in the ways I enjoy being challenged by art. I love all of their cds, but of course there are some songs I do not like as much, but my opinion is they are my favorite. Perhaps saying they were the best was not the best choice of words.

I say porcupine tree.

The Bassist, John Myung, from dream theater is absolutely phenomenal even though most of their music is stale and tiresome.

GENESIS (1970-1978) are, imho, the best prog band ever

Van der Graaf Generator, who recently got back together & released a very unexpensive (& good) double album are near Genesis' genius

other good ole 70's bands worth mentioning : King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer etc...

for younger prog acts, I'll mention Voivod (from Dimension Hatross to The Outer Limits), Meshuggah, Opeth (who's new album is their more prog ever), Angra (for the best power prog) and the newcomer SUBTERRANEAN MASQUERADE (prog lovers should really try this !)... but please no Dream Theater... those guys sure can play but I'm still expecting a good album from them... :puke:

My favorites are Pink Floyd, Yes, Transatlantic/Neal Morse, and Ayreon... The album I listened to the most in my entire life is The Wall /\^^/\.

Hands down, the best prog band of all time is either Magma, Ruins, or the Flying Luttenbachers. Some might not count the latter two as "prog" but they are at the core. All of those bands where/are amazing, and totally blow away most bands like Pink Floy and Dream Theater. I will, however, always love King Crimson, Yes, and Rush.

NeverIsForever said:
Porcupine Tree

edit: wait a minute...I answered this thread three months ago :erk:

at least I'm consistent :lol:

consistent in mediocrity ;)

seriously, you have to try 70's prog bands before saying PC are the greatest prog band of all times !!!

try Genesis, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Yes, Camel, Rush, Jethro Tull, Van der Graaf Generator, Magma etc.... there's a whole world of amazing dazzling music out there and it's free for you to discover it ! :D