Recommend obscure prog bands

Kronikle66 said:
When you just say a name of a band and an album by them, it does nothing to tell me what they sound like. At the very least include a sample mp3 please.

It's posts like these that make me shake my head and wonder about what's going on. It's the internet...if the name strikes you as interesting, www.google.com and search. Sure it's easier if someone provides you with the link, but it used to be about the thrill of the search and finding a band that met to your liking. There's a whole world of music out there waiting to be explored.

Want another great place to brush up on your prog descriptions? www.lasercd.com. Ken Golden is still the man for providing so much info in his listings in his store.

And of the band mentioned at the beginning of this whole thread, how many of them fall into the "obscure" category??

WhoFooldU said:
It's posts like these that make me shake my head and wonder about what's going on. It's the internet...if the name strikes you as interesting, www.google.com and search. Sure it's easier if someone provides you with the link, but it used to be about the thrill of the search and finding a band that met to your liking. There's a whole world of music out there waiting to be explored.

Want another great place to brush up on your prog descriptions? www.lasercd.com. Ken Golden is still the man for providing so much info in his listings in his store.

And of the band mentioned at the beginning of this whole thread, how many of them fall into the "obscure" category??

Did you accidentally walk into this thread and somehow miss the point? Threads where 50 people just post long lists of obscure bands without any information about them, is more of a e-penis flexing "look how awesome I am because I know all these underground metal bands" circle jerk thread, rather than a useful source to learn about new bands.

The point of this thread was for people to share obscure bands, what they sound like, and give a sample if possible. "churn out an obscure band that you know a person would like if they liked the other bands in the equation."

if the name strikes you as interesting
Haha, ok let's judge bands by their names! If that were the case I would have never gotten into The Flower Kings, Wobbler, or Rainbow. When you can give some reference on what said band sounds like, it should serve as a much better incentive to get into their music than just only looking up groups with neat-o names. Maybe I should have bolded "Don't be lazy please. This is a thread for learning about new bands, so please don't just post without putting any thought into it." in the original post.

At least 80% of those bands my friends who love prog metal have never heard. Like coolsnow7 said, it's all relative.

Really, Glenn, are you done shitting on my thread?

WhoFooldU said:

quote]

Agreed

Kronikle66 said:
Did you accidentally walk into this thread and somehow miss the point? Threads where 50 people just post long lists of obscure bands without any information about them, is more of a e-penis flexing "look how awesome I am because I know all these underground metal bands" circle jerk thread, rather than a useful source to learn about new bands.

The point of this thread was for people to share obscure bands, what they sound like, and give a sample if possible. "churn out an obscure band that you know a person would like if they liked the other bands in the equation."

Haha, ok let's judge bands by their names! If that were the case I would have never gotten into The Flower Kings, Wobbler, or Rainbow. When you can give some reference on what said band sounds like, it should serve as a much better incentive to get into their music than just only looking up groups with neat-o names. Maybe I should have bolded "Don't be lazy please. This is a thread for learning about new bands, so please don't just post without putting any thought into it." in the original post.

At least 80% of those bands my friends who love prog metal have never heard. Like coolsnow7 said, it's all relative.

Really, Glenn, are you done shitting on my thread?

no, frankly I'm not done. You said it yourself...Don't Be Lazy. How about doing a little looking. I gave you another point of reference, how about you take a look at it instead of being lazy yourself?

Go! Discover! Find something new for yourself.

A little reading, a little surfing, never killed nothing but a few minutes of your life on this rock in quest of something meaningful.

Do you need a little more cheese for your whine??

WhoFooldU said:
no, frankly I'm not done. You said it yourself...Don't Be Lazy. How about doing a little looking. I gave you another point of reference, how about you take a look at it instead of being lazy yourself?

Go! Discover! Find something new for yourself.

A little reading, a little surfing, never killed nothing but a few minutes of your life on this rock in quest of something meaningful.

Do you need a little more cheese for your whine??

I'm sorry for thinking that taking the time to list several bands, describing what they sound like, and scouring the internet for various samples of their work was probably too high of a bar to set for the subsequent posters. I specifically tried to stress for people to not take the lazy way out. If 1 person would take 2 minutes to give at least a brief 3 word description of a band, it would save countless people the hassle of looking it up for themselves.

I'm sorry for expecting at the very least, sub-par quality posts from all the members here. Why does it not surprise me that something fun has to be ruined by elitists who think finding about a band all by theirselves (what a big boy!) makes them superior.

Jax, can you close this thread?

J-Dubya 777 said:
Good God, take a fuggin' Midol already!

J-Dubya

emothurr3ql.gif

I wish people woul have kept posting X+Y=Z bands cause I checked out a few at the start and really liked them... If anybody has any other obscure prog bands they wanna get out in the open, please go ahead. I love expanding my horizons :)

Edit: Symphony X + Final Fantasy = Our band! (still has no name)
We haven't had the chance to record so its all Guitar Pro Midi stuff for now. I don't approve of the whole piczo thing but whatever, it's not my site. There are a few songs that stream so check out the site if you want.
http://unleash-the-fire.piczo.com/?cr=3&rfm=y Oh yeah, forgot to mention the artist is Claude Richard

turke said:
One can only obey such a thread if it comes directly from "Jax", i think. This kind of words doesn't help you to gain friends here i.m.o.
It was a suggestion, MY opinion, and it was obvious. You don't have to like it, but you don't have to imply I have Administrator delirium also.

Recent posts confirm it. People don't like to play the rules of the game the creator of this thread stated. Instead, they do whatever else they want (play their own game, or criticize the rules). So to all, thanks for ruining it.

Circus Maximus, Redemption pwn me. (Although redemption blatently sampled Sy X in their sample there.)

Tyler Durden said:
Outworld

www.outworldband.com

Sound like Symphony X & Malmsteen with ungodly vocals from Kelly Sundown Carpenter.
OOOOOHMYYYYYYYF********GGOOOOOOOOD :OMG:
What a voice!!! Kinda reminds me of Sir Russ on TDG album, but more extreme o_O
Gotta spread the word with this one. This was taken from the site:
"Musically, Outworld is guitar based metal with a focus on great melodies, strong vocals, lots of guitar/keyboard shredding and a powerful rhythmic foundation. Closest comparisons would be Symphony X, Dream Theater, Malmsteen or even Pantera."
I don't see the DT connection, but whatever. SX heaviest fans will love it.

Thanks a lot, this thread is already paying off :worship:

The most obscure prog artist in my opinion is Conrad Simon. He's a virtuoso guitarist with the best songwriting skills imaginable. Unfortunately, he's a local and I can't find any of his songs on the internet. I can't even find his albums for sale! BUT HOLY CRAP I WISH YOU COULD ALL HEAR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's definetly comparable to LTE, probably even better!!! AAAAHH!

haha this thread is basic math...Optimization ikf I'm not mistaken
X+Y=Z... For those of you who are not understanding what he means well lets say we have the colour Purple (Z) The 2 colours that make purple are Blue and Red... They might both be differ colours (or styles in the music world) but when you add them together you get something else... So someone who likes the colour blue and the colour red has a grand possibility of liking the colour purple ;) lol wow I am so homo sexual!

Symphony X + Kamelot = Vanden Plas
* Thx to the symphony X forums I recently discovered this band, the singing reminds me alot of Kamelots Roy Saetra Khantatat... As far as the musical composition it is rather similar to that of Symphony X's... Its sorta a Prog and Power blend, very sweet!

Emo + Screamo = Gay go kill yourself!

Blind Guardian + Sonata Arctica + Nightwish + Kamelot = Forgotten Tales
http://www.forgottentales.com
http://www.forgottentales.com/FT_HTML/en/download.html