"The Odyssey" voted #1 album of 2002 by Perpetual Motion Forum!

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Perpetual Motion is a metal/prog discussion forum located at http://www.tpom.com/pmboard/index.php

Here are the categories where Symphony X placed:

Top Twenty Albums of the Year:

1 81 Symphony X, The Odyssey
2 68 Pain of Salvation, Remedy Lane
3 57 Dream Theater, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4 52 Threshold, Critical Mass
5 40 Space Metal, Space Metal
6 39 Soilwork, Natural Born Chaos
6 39 Blind Guardian, A Night at the Opera
6 39 Superior, Ultima Ratio
9 36 Pagan's Mind, Celestial Entrance
10 34 Vanden Plas, Beyond Daylight
11 33 Opeth, Deliverance
12 30 Porcupine Tree, In Absentia
13 29 Nightwish, Century Child
14 28 Prototype, Trinity
14 28 Shaman, Ritual
16 22 Angra, Hunters and Prey
17 21 Spock's Beard, Snow
18 20 Andromeda, I=II
18 20 Enchant, Blink of an Eye
20 19 Dark Tranquillity, Damage Done
20 19 Avantasia, The Metal Opera Part 2

Best Albums : Prog Metal
1 26 Symphony X, The Odyssey
2 25 Pain of Salvation, Remedy Lane
...oh! So close.
3 17 Dream Theater, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Miscellaneous Album Awards : Comeback Disc
1 13 Superior, Ultima Ratio
...sounds like they've redeemed themselves from the shit-eater award
following the release of Younique. Am I the only one who likes that
album?
2 4 Dio, Killing the Dragon
2 4 Symphony X, The Odyssey
2 4 Rush, Vapor Trails

Miscellaneous Album Awards : Cover Art
1 11 Symphony X, The Odyssey
2 7 Space Metal, Space Metal
3 5 Soilwork, Natural Born Chaos
4 4 Shaman, Ritual
5 4 Opeth, Deliverance
6 4 Pagan's Mind, Celestial Entrance
7 4 Angra, Hunters and Prey
8 4 Prototype, Trinity

I don't see how Symphony X wins this category with nothing but T&A.
Oh, wait: yes, I do know how.

Miscellaneous Album Awards : Disappointment Disc
1 14 Dream Theater, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2 10 Symphony X, The Odyssey
3 7 Rush, Vapor Trails

Best Song : BestSong
1 12 Symphony X, The Odyssey, The Odyssey
2 7 Pain of Salvation, Remedy Lane, A Trace of Blood
3 7 Blind Guardian, A Night at the Opera, And Then There Was Silence

Some others from PoS came close behind; that seemed to be a
particularly popular album for singles.

Best Artists : Band
1 25 Symphony X
2 18 Pain of Salvation
3 16 Dream Theater

Best Artists : Drummer
1 19 Mike Portnoy
2 10 Jason Rullo
3 7 Johanne James

Best Artists : Guitarist
1 34 Michael Romeo
2 19 John Petrucci
3 6 Johan Reinholdz

Best Artists : Keyboardist
1 24 Jordan Rudess
2 8 Richard Andersson
2 8 Michael Pinnella

Best Artists : Band With the Best Live Performance
1 11 Dream Theater
1 11 Threshold
3 10 Symphony X

Pain of Salvation and Angra were close behind.

Best Artists : Male Vocalist
1 29 Russell Allen
2 23 Daniel Gildenlow
3 7 James Labrie

No surprises there.

Best Artists : Record Label
1 54 Inside Out
2 7 Century Media
3 5 The End Records

Best Artists : Band You Most Want to See Tour Europe
1 5 Rush
1 5 Andromeda
3 4 Symphony X

Miscellaneous : Best Music-Related Website (other than PM)
1 11 Ultimate Metal
2 7 Melodicrockcom
3 6 Satan Stole My Teddybear
4 6 Bnr Metal Pages

To see the full results, go here: http://www.krose.org/~krose/perp2002/results.txt

Nice to see stuff like that, but how the fuck did James LaBrie ever win a place in top 3 vocalists???

It's a miracle this thread hasn't started a flame war :lol: nice list btw (although I keep wondering how the hell Labrie is up there, I think Yngster is right).

yeah, i voted

I dont agree with MANY of the winners and think that MANY albums got overlooked. Very few of my votes got up there:

for album i voted PoS, Symphony X, Freak Kitchen, Hourglass Engine, etc. a bunch of others that were really good to me. Total of 5 i voted for (which everyone else would vote for too made it up htere).

Personally I am very disappointed

Originally posted by Soul of Ice
yeah, i voted

I dont agree with MANY of the winners and think that MANY albums got overlooked. Very few of my votes got up there:

for album i voted PoS, Symphony X, Freak Kitchen, Hourglass Engine, etc. a bunch of others that were really good to me. Total of 5 i voted for (which everyone else would vote for too made it up htere).

Personally I am very disappointed

10 of my votes made the Top 20.

I like polls like this. A lot of results I'd agree with, some I wouldn't. I do think it's kinda funny how SX and DT both appeared on best band/albums list and yet also disappointment disc list, and Rush - best comeback yet also disappointment disc.

Symphony X, Dream Theater, Threshold, Star One, Blind Guardian, Superior, and Vanden Plas were all on my top 10 list. Angra would have been but I didn't really count an EP. Would have liked Threshold to be #1 since it was my fav, but #4 isn't bad. :) I'd also have liked to have seen Vapor Trails up there.

I think Ultima Ratio was awesome. PMF, I was just going to ask you about Younique actually...I like UR enough to want to hear more Superior. Have you heard Younique? And what about Behind?

I'm not sure why The Odyssey is a comeback album...? Nice to see Threshold's Concert In Paris for live albums. Very happy to see Johanne James on the drummer's list! I think Richard West should have been on the keyboard list as well - I don't think anyone's use of keyboards is more perfect than his.

No arguments at all with best live band. :) DT was totally amazing everytime I saw them, and the only time I saw Threshold it made me want to start planning a trip to Europe.

James is on the list of vocalists because he is GOOD. :) We all have different tastes, but I really really love his voice. One of my favorite singers. And while he may have struggled live in the past, (or heck maybe he even struggled at the shows I didn't see), he was dead on at all the 2002 shows I saw. I was amazed and so were a lot of the people I talked to after the shows.

Nice to see stuff like that, but how the fuck did James LaBrie ever win a place in top 3 vocalists???

what kyra said because hes good! hes better than good hes amazing!! one of the most skilled rock singers of all time. people bash his live performance and well sure he has some mistake youd have mistakes trying to sing what he sings also. he has a great sense of melody and can write great lyrics as well

Because he is in Dream Theater, if he was in any other band he would be nowhere near that list

the same could be said about russell allen if you ask me. i love russell allen dont get me wrong, but i've heard him live and he wasnt anything to brag about.

Originally posted by busty sinclair

the same could be said about russell allen if you ask me. i love russell allen dont get me wrong, but i've heard him live and he wasnt anything to brag about.

uhhh... yes he was

Originally posted by Kyra
I like polls like this. A lot of results I'd agree with, some I wouldn't. I do think it's kinda funny how SX and DT both appeared on best band/albums list and yet also disappointment disc list, and Rush - best comeback yet also disappointment disc.

Symphony X, Dream Theater, Threshold, Star One, Blind Guardian, Superior, and Vanden Plas were all on my top 10 list. Angra would have been but I didn't really count an EP. Would have liked Threshold to be #1 since it was my fav, but #4 isn't bad. :) I'd also have liked to have seen Vapor Trails up there.

I think Ultima Ratio was awesome. PMF, I was just going to ask you about Younique actually...I like UR enough to want to hear more Superior. Have you heard Younique? And what about Behind?

I'm not sure why The Odyssey is a comeback album...? Nice to see Threshold's Concert In Paris for live albums. Very happy to see Johanne James on the drummer's list! I think Richard West should have been on the keyboard list as well - I don't think anyone's use of keyboards is more perfect than his.

No arguments at all with best live band. :) DT was totally amazing everytime I saw them, and the only time I saw Threshold it made me want to start planning a trip to Europe.

James is on the list of vocalists because he is GOOD. :) We all have different tastes, but I really really love his voice. One of my favorite singers. And while he may have struggled live in the past, (or heck maybe he even struggled at the shows I didn't see), he was dead on at all the 2002 shows I saw. I was amazed and so were a lot of the people I talked to after the shows.

Yes... I don't understand how "Odyssey" is a comeback either.... guess some people must've been disappointed in "V".

I'm not really a Superior expert. I have "Behind". It's good. I think it's better than "Ultima Ratio". I haven't heard "Younique", but it was voted Shit-eater of 2000 at Perpetual Motion.

I think Johanne James and Richard West put in phenomenal performances on "Critical Mass". Richard's keyboard work is so lush and creative.

Originally posted by busty sinclair

what kyra said because hes good! hes better than good hes amazing!! one of the most skilled rock singers of all time. people bash his live performance and well sure he has some mistake youd have mistakes trying to sing what he sings also. he has a great sense of melody and can write great lyrics as well

Whoa!!! Russell Vs. Labrie part 2??? Well all i'm going to say is (since i'm sick of these discussions, i've explained a hell lot in the DT forum)

Both of them are professional singers and most of the people of this board aren't. What does that mean? they are better than most of the people (if not all) on this board. My opinions were based on live performances I've heard from Labrie and honestly they were awful, but that doesn't mean he's an awful singer all the time.

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
Both of them are professional singers and most of the people of this board aren't. What does that mean? they are better than most of the people (if not all) on this board

:lol: I would hope they can sing better than most of the people on the message board!

I had no intention whatsoever of this being a James vs. Russ thing. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents that some people actually like James' voice and think he did a great job this tour.

I thought Russ was also terrific live!

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
uhhh... yes he was

and I second that. I have al of Sym X's live material and I've never been more impressed with ANYONE'S live vocal performance in contrast with such awesome studio results.

Just as a note, Labrie has vastly improved his live performance.