"The Odyssey" voted #1 album of 2002 by Perpetual Motion Forum!

Originally posted by Kyra
just comes down to opinion and personal preference.

Exactly. We all have opinions of what we think is better, and what isnt.

My only beef which IMO is legit, is that over the years, James LaBrie has really lost the voice he had in the old days. I still like him, and think hes good, I just feel he doesnt have what he did in the old days.

Alot of people tell me "well gee look at his age" and then I say that hasnt stopped Rob Halford, Rob Rock, Bruce Dickinson, etc.

Different things go wrong with each individually though, not everyone has the same techniques or same vocal chord usage while singing.

All in all its all personal taste and opinion as Kyra has stated. We all like what we like. and thats what makes life so neat.... how we can all be diverse.

Sorry for being rude, but Dream Theater is the shit.
When I listen to them , it seems to me that they play this music without desire to play exact THAT kind of music.

I think that metal is not their genre.
They should play fusion or some art. Not metal. Just a suggestion.

Obviously you're not sorry, else you wouldn't have said that in the first place. You would have said something like "I don't like Dream Theater." Which is fine by me.

I think metal is absolutely their genre. They don't strike me as the type of people who would waste their time doing something that they have no desire to do - I think they're making exactly the type of music they want to. I'm sure if they wanted to play fusion, they would. I think they blend a lot of elements with metal and that makes them so unique. A lot of people don't enjoy it. That's fine, but a lot of other people do, judging from the crowds they draw, the traffic on their forums, and how well they did in this poll. There's another band who did pretty well on that poll that I pretty much can't stand but obviously a lot of other people like, so why go around calling them shit?

Originally posted by Grom Hellscream
Sorry for being rude, but Dream Theater is the shit.
When I listen to them , it seems to me that they play this music without desire to play exact THAT kind of music.

I think that metal is not their genre.
They should play fusion or some art. Not metal. Just a suggestion.

I think they'll do just fine if they continue playing what they want.

Also, I recognized several years ago they weren't trying to be an "all prog metal all of the time" band. But when they do play heavy, you cannot deny it rocks!

Obviously you're not sorry, else you wouldn't have said that in the first place. You would have said something like "I don't like Dream Theater." Which is fine by me.

I think metal is absolutely their genre. They don't strike me as the type of people who would waste their time doing something that they have no desire to do - I think they're making exactly the type of music they want to. I'm sure if they wanted to play fusion, they would. I think they blend a lot of elements with metal and that makes them so unique. A lot of people don't enjoy it. That's fine, but a lot of other people do, judging from the crowds they draw, the traffic on their forums, and how well they did in this poll. There's another band who did pretty well on that poll that I pretty much can't stand but obviously a lot of other people like, so why go around calling them shit?
Why? Because they are. And because this thread turned to discussing them.
Do you like "Falling to infinity"?
Metal is absolutely not their genre, because they do not play heavy music. They play boring music.
in my openion of course.

Damn , Second time in a Row that Symphony X beats POS in the Best-album cathegory !!

It happened also two years ago :
1. Symphony X - V
2. Pain of Salvation - The perfect Element Part I

And to add my two cents , I think Daniel Gildenlow should be on top of the best Vocalist cathegory . Russel Allen had done a wonderfull job with the odyssey ,
But Daniel can pull it also on every gig they play , Which we can't say for Russel ...

Originally posted by brokkel
Damn , Second time in a Row that Symphony X beats POS in the Best-album cathegory !!

It happened also two years ago :
1. Symphony X - V
2. Pain of Salvation - The perfect Element Part I

And to add my two cents , I think Daniel Gildenlow should be on top of the best Vocalist cathegory . Russel Allen had done a wonderfull job with the odyssey ,
But Daniel can pull it also on every gig they play , Which we can't say for Russel ...

For 2000: I would have switched V and TPE around. TPE is my favorite album ever.

Daniel is amazing... but I think this year... Russell beats him out. He just brought his vocal performance to the next level on "The Odyssey". And every performance I've seen/heard... Russell has sounded incredible. Don't know what's up with the "Russell live" bashing on here.

Metal is absolutely not their genre, because they do not play heavy music. They play boring music.
in my openion of course.

You know what, forget it. I don't care if you hate all of their albums and have bonfires by burning Dream Theater liner notes. My point was never that you or anyone else has to like their music or James LaBrie's voice, nor was it to compare them to Symphony X in anyway. It was about having a little respect and courtesy for those of us who do like them. I could go around calling plenty of bands shit, but what would be the point?

I do like Falling into Infinity, as well of the rest of their albums. If you don't think it's metal that's fine with me. It certainly sounds like metal to my ears, and I think they are every bit as heavy as many other bands who are called metal, such as Vanden Plas, Threshold, and Kamelot.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
For 2000: I would have switched V and TPE around. TPE is my favorite album ever.

Daniel is amazing... but I think this year... Russell beats him out. He just brought his vocal performance to the next level on "The Odyssey". And every performance I've seen/heard... Russell has sounded incredible. Don't know what's up with the "Russell live" bashing on here.

Neither do I, though I've only seen him live twice. Both times he was totally amazing. I think V would have been my 2000 choice for album of the year, though off the top of my head I can't remember a whole lot else I have that was released that year. But it's hard to imagine much beating it...it probably would have been my #2 pick had it been released this year.

in my openion of course.

Falling Into Infinity is the only Dream Theater album I own, and I HATE IT!!! I've never given a cd more of a fair chance, I listened to it countless times to see if it would ever click, but nothing ever happened. They are talented musicians but they can't keep my interest for very long.

It was about having a little respect and courtesy for those of us who do like them.

I could go around calling plenty of bands shit, but what would be the point?

I'm sorry?
I'm not going anywhere and calling any band shit.
YOU came here and tarting a thread about Dream Theater here at Symphony X forum. (not personally you , but i did not tell THAT personally to you Kyra). I just didn't like it.

I don't hate Dream Theater. I just can't stand comparing them to Gods. They definitely are not. They are excelent musicians and moderate composers with a bad taste in music. It's not my fault that they bore me.

I like their 2,3 albums a lot. I like a bit A Change of Seasons.
I do not like "Falling Into Infinity", and I think you do not like it to , do not be hypocritical. :)
I like a bit Scenes From A Memory, but I think there too much "snivel with sugar".
And I don't understand for that moment their last album, not saying whether it is good or bad.

I don't think DT is shit, I was just pissed off . Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you .
Proposing a PEACE :rolleyes: :)
OK?

I'm sorry?
I'm not going anywhere and calling any band shit.
YOU came here and tarting a thread about Dream Theater here at Symphony X forum. (not personally you , but i did not tell THAT personally to you Kyra). I just didn't like it.

What? This thread was not started about Dream Theater, it was started to display the results of a metal poll. Dream Theater was not brought up by me or other "obsessed" DT fans, they were brought up by people making disparaging comments about James LaBrie's singing and saying that the only reason he was 3rd was because he is from Dream Theater. You can't blame the DT fans for that. I responded to it because I disagreed - James is one of my favorite singers and I know plenty of people who truly like his voice, and I had to chime in with my feelings about that. I would have done the same thing had people been making fun of any other band I really like. I was simply defending a band that is near and dear to me, and did so in a respectful way - not putting down SX or even comparing the two bands in the process. The thread is not about Dream Theater, but the point I was trying to make is that there are a lot of fans of both bands, so why do the DT-haters have to constantly bring up Dream Theater in a negative way? You said you didn't want to be rude, but Dream Theater is shit. That IS rude! This is not about liking DT - I'm not trying to convince anyone that James has a beautiful voice or that DT is a great band...I'd just prefer a little less DT-bashing.

And if people DO bring up DT, who cares? Why shouldn't they talk about DT on a Symphony X forum? They are both progmetal bands. People bring up Pain of Salvation, Time Requiem, and any number of other bands on here, and there's nothing wrong with that. If someone doesn't like one of the bands brought up, they can certainly say it in a nice way.

I don't hate Dream Theater. I just can't stand comparing them to Gods. They definitely are not. They are excelent musicians and moderate composers with a bad taste in music. It's not my fault that they bore me.

No, it's not your fault at all. I'm NOT telling you that you have to like them!! But no one was comparing them to gods in this thread. Some people think they are great composers with great taste in music, like me. Some people think they have bad taste, like you. Neither one of us is right.

I like their 2,3 albums a lot. I like a bit A Change of Seasons.
I do not like "Falling Into Infinity", and I think you do not like it to , do not be hypocritical. :)
I like a bit Scenes From A Memory, but I think there too much "snivel with sugar".
And I don't understand for that moment their last album, not saying whether it is good or bad.

Why would you think I don't like Falling into Infinity? Do you know enough about my other musical tastes? I absolutely love New Millenium, Peruvian Skies, Burning My Soul, Hell's Kitchen, Lines in the Sand, Take Away My Pain, and Trial of Tears. I like Hollow Years quite a lot. In fact I don't skip any of the songs on the album when I listen to it, which is relatively often. Scenes from a Memory is my favorite album from any band, and the new album got my vote for 2nd best album of the year. If you don't like them, or only like parts of them, that's ok with me. I'm not trying to convert you or anyone else.

I don't think DT is shit, I was just pissed off . Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you .
Proposing a PEACE :rolleyes: :)
OK?

Well, it's worth a try at least! Apology accepted! :)