Inverting phase

Feb 17, 2007
UK
I'd like to stick two microphones in front of a guitar cab. I know how to get the microphones in phase with each other. Have white noise come out of the cab, invert phase of one microphone, listen with headphones and move microphone around until the white noise disappears in the headphones, sounds simple enough to do. I tried to do it using the gainer plug-in in logic to invert phase, but it only inverts the phase once the track has been recorded. So that is useless. I'm using Logic education 5.5.1 (or something like that) on windows XP. Yes you may laugh, my DAW is very old and only lets me have 48 tracks but I spent all my money on getting a peavey 6505+.

Maybe the problem is I need to select some option in the preferences for monitoring, in which case I'm sorry for wasting your time with a newbie question.
If not, is there some cheap device that I can plug into my signal pathway to invert the phase for one of my microphones.
I think a while ago I heard that you can rewire a XLR cable to invert the phase, if so can some one direct me to a tutorial.

Keep up all the good work, I've learnt loads from this forum. Theres a song I recorded on the following link http://www.myspace.com/falsemessiahuk

I'm playing all guitars, and it's the second metal song I've ever recorded and mixed, so I'm still learning.

Many thanks.

Mike

You haven't been able to put gainer in the signal chain so that you can monitor it with the plugin activated? Bizarre... If you can't have a plugin active while monitoring and there's no phase flip switch, my advice would be to just grab Reaper. Then again, I'm an asshole, so...

Another option would be to just get a good audio op-amp (an NE5532 will work wonderfully), read up a little on basic op-amp uses (inverting amplifier is what you're looking for here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier_applications#Inverting_amplifier ), and make a little circuit to invert it.

If you flip wires 2 and 3 of an XLR plug you get what you're looking for with the cable. They should be labeled.

Jeff

The gainer plug-in is in the signal chain, and the invert phase switch is on. But it only inverts the phase once the track has been recorded.
What is Reaper, where can I get it, how much does it cost?

I guess doing a bit of soldering would be the easiest option (and cheapest).

thanks for the help

The gainer plug-in is in the signal chain, and the invert phase switch is on. But it only inverts the phase once the track has been recorded.
What is Reaper, where can I get it, how much does it cost?

I guess doing a bit of soldering would be the easiest option (and cheapest).

thanks for the help

Do the cableflip. Easy & effective. a Short phaseflipcable always comes in handy.

even easier.

In logic's environment window, create an 'input object' for the input that your signal is coming into. Place the gainer plugin there, and it will be input monitored, so you will hear it before while monitoring, and not just after recording. This would ALSO print this plugin to track if you were to leave it on though when you actually started tracking.