g39684fsif2.jpg

1. Substantial Guilt vs. The Irony Of Enjoying

2. The Bud Dwyer Effect

3. Failure In The Process Of Identifying A Dream

4. I0II0III0II000I

5. Binary, Part II

6. The Death Of One Man Is A Tragedy, The Death of 10,000 Is A Statistic

7. Oceanic Motion

8. The Girl Nextdoor Is Always Screaming....

9. A Regular Dose Of Azure

Label: Willowtip Records
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.iondissonance.com/
GRADE:
7.5/10

Insanity. Sheer fucking insanity. That is the only appropriate way to describe ION DISSONANCE's Breathing Is Irrelevant. For 32 minutes and 8 seconds, this band sonically obliterates. This band, like labelmates KALIBAS, can be compared to CRYPTOPSY, GORGUTS and even the DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN. (Note to Dreamlord: yes, this is also in their press release, but one wouldn't be wrong to do so!)

There must be something in that Canadian water! The mathematical twists and turns of this behemoth would make even the most veteran of brutal extremity wince. This is a challenging cd to wrap your ears around and fully absorb. I like that.

From the discordant beginning of the first track to the agonizing passages that follow, ION DISSONANCE present a full on, non-stop barrage of chaotic structure. Blast beats, grinding syncopation, the title of this album fits as it aptly describes the music contained within. When there is a calm clean guitar moment at the beginning of track three, don't be fooled. It doesn't last long. Also, for the record, this is one of my favorite songs on Breathing Is Irrelevant.

With bands like ION DISSONANCE, KALIBAS and RUNE, Willowtip Records look to be a promising young label. Let's just hope they don't blow too much cash on crap like GOATSBALLS, oops I mean GOATSBLOOD, or WATCHMAKER. Will I be listening to this on a regular basis a year from now? Probably not. However, it will sit snuggly in my collection with TODAY IS THE DAY, and bands similar to those mentioned earlier, for those days when I just want to open my windows and tell the whole world to go to hell.

PJ