Iron Maiden Day

I'll be at Newcastle on Wednesday with Eagle also....and my six year old daughter!! It'll be her first metal concert....so we thought Maiden would be a good one to start with! If she enjoys it we are seriously considering taking her to Bloodstock next year...in fact she is already insisting she comes anyway if Gamma Ray play!!

I'm looking forward to Ironically Maiden on the 6th also.

For the Newcastle gig I'll be clad in full Gamma Ray clothing and will be hurling abuse at funeral for a friend!

Gamma Ray! Gamma Ray! Gamma Ray! Gamma Ray! Gamma Ray! Gamma Ray!

well I went along to see Iron Maiden in Newcastle and it was a good show.

Negatives:

Merchandise was very fucking expensive and I refuse to be suckered so I bought nought.

Funeralforafriend were almost as shite as I anticipated and I got told off for boooing them and shouting for 'Gamma Ray'

The lack of Revelations, Purgatory and Aces High in Maiden's set.

Positives:

Excellent Castle Greyskull stage set up. But no He Man and Skeletor. A bit of a Hammerfall rip off but still very nice.

Very good performance and the best I've seen them since Bruce's return. The sound was pretty good to for an arena.
setlist included the likes of:

(will be a bit wrong and not in this order so it's waste of time reading it really but it will give a general idea)

Wildest Dreams
Wrathchild
Can I Play With Madness
Dance Of Death
Pashendale
Brave New World
Rainmaker
No More Lies
The Trooper
Fear Of The Dark

Encore
Journeyman (acoustic)
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Number Of The Beast

Highlight songs being Dance Of Death (is there only me in the world who thinks this sounds like a Blind Guardian playing tribute to follyfoot?) and Paschendale.

I also think I spotted oozily in the crowd but I couldn't be sure.

On the whole a good night of metal!

Eagle said:
well I went along to see Iron Maiden in Newcastle and it was a good show.

Negatives:

Merchandise was very fucking expensive and I refuse to be suckered so I bought nought.

Funeralforafriend were almost as shite as I anticipated and I got told off for boooing them and shouting for 'Gamma Ray'

The lack of Revelations, Purgatory and Aces High in Maiden's set.

Positives:

Excellent Castle Greyskull stage set up. But no He Man and Skeletor. A bit of a Hammerfall rip off but still very nice.

Very good performance and the best I've seen them since Bruce's return. The sound was pretty good to for an arena.
setlist included the likes of:

(will be a bit wrong and not in this order so it's waste of time reading it really but it will give a general idea)

Wildest Dreams
Wrathchild
Can I Play With Madness
Dance Of Death
Pashendale
Brave New World
Rainmaker
No More Lies
The Trooper
Fear Of The Dark

Encore
Journeyman (acoustic)
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Number Of The Beast

Highlight songs being Dance Of Death (is there only me in the world who thinks this sounds like a Blind Guardian playing tribute to follyfoot?) and Paschendale.

Have to agree with Eagle. It was good night overall! The merch was way too expensive as usual...but were we to expect anything different?

Funeralforafriend were not my cup of tea and I have to say that as the audience was predominantly traditional metallers I think Gamma Ray would have gone down well! (Maybe too well so hence why they didn't get the slot)!?

I thought the set was alot better that the last two times I've seen them. At least they didn't play The Clansman! I could definitely sense that they have been taking note of the European power metal scene. As well as the Hammerfall reference that Eagle has mentioned there was a definite BG influence...Dance of Death was interpreted in true BG style with a spoken intro, the same lighting effects and Bruce dressing as the BG himself!!

I think Miaden went a little way to redeeming myself in my eyes on Wednesday night! This is no mean feat as I was becoming very sceptical about their money grabbing corporate machine. However...I had a a good night so ...Up The Irons! :D

Eagle said:

Wildest Dreams
Wrathchild
Can I Play With Madness
Dance Of Death
Pashendale
Brave New World
Rainmaker
No More Lies
The Trooper
Fear Of The Dark

Encore
Journeyman (acoustic)
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Number Of The Beast

Wildest Dreams
Wrathchild
Can I Play With Madness
The Trooper
Dance Of Death
Rainmaker
Brave New World
Pashendale
Lord of the Flies
No More Lies
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden (how could you forget this one!!)

Encore
Journeyman (acoustic)
Number Of The Beast
Run to the Hills (or this one!!)

The Highlight for me was Pachandale!! that song rocks big time :cool:

Yup, it might have been me, i was to the left hand side standing about 15-20 rows back.

oozily said:
You should have yelled to me :cool:

Did you stay for the rock disco afterwards?

If I'd been certain it was you I would have come over for a yarn.

We didn't stay for the rock disco as we had a 6 year old with us. We might as well have done though as it took us over an hour getting out the carpark.

Well i went to the sheffield and manchester shows and they was incredible. Hired a van for the sheffield one and me mate drove down with another 4 of us (van was fuckin enormous!) went to the pub and had a few pints and thankfully missed funeral for a shit. Went quite mental when maiden came on. They played an excellent set and the stage show was great as always although the sheffield crowd didnt seem up for it at which i have no idea why. Proceeded back to Leeds and went out to round the night only to find that the fire alarm in this club went off which meant a load of us was in this shopping centre drinking beer which looked quite amusing.

The manchester gig was better in my opinion as the crowd was much more lively. Proceeded down the front with my mate and unfortunatly had to watch funeral for a friend. Random abuse was hurled at them from a lot people (including myself with chants as such like fuck off, you are shit and go home nobody cares about you) and also0 one chant which got me a lot of handshakes and appaluse by shouting this is a fucking metal gig funeral for a friend are total shit. Maiden came on and played another blinding set and the crowd went wild and was difficult to stand due to not being able to keep me balance. Got train back to leeds and went home after a top night

Fucking superb

:D