IRON MAIDEN Metal School!

lizard said:
NO

Priest was never on Maiden's level as far as songwriting, and Dickinson is twice the showman Halfie is.

Quoted for truth. I also applaud Steve for not trying to bury the albums with Blaze and giving the fans the chance to hear what those songs sound like with a gifted singer (massive in the case of the Clansman and SOTC)...

What the fuck does Judas Priest or DsO have to do with anything? We're talking Maiden -- a band that transcends comparison so let's stick with it shall we?

So.....

It's not good guys for a few simple reasons:

For the most part, it's actually quite boring. Some of the 7 or 8 minute songs sound like they could have been cut down to 3 or 4 mins. If it's an epic of "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" or "Paschendale" proportions, I'm game. Otherwise I'll fucken pine for No Prayer of the Dying over this.

I hate to say it but Bruce Dickinson is the WEAKEST LINK. His vocals are near identical across each track, but worse still, when he hits the high register, it really sounds like he's stretching himself beyond his limit. It is painful, and when he does these tracks live, he is going to sound godawful.

Conversely, if you take a track like "Lord of Light", he sings at a slightly lower register and indeed it actually sounds like a song from his solo material. This is probably his strongest song on the album for that fact alone.

(At least we can all accept the FACT that the last 3 Bruce solo albums are better than anything Maiden have done since 7th Son).

Finally, here's why I think this album is a bottom feeder. Aside from the fact that each song is an average Maiden song at best, there are simply NO STANDOUT TRACKS. Even Virtual XI had "Futureal" and "The Clansman" which, when Bruce sings, come to life. Fear of the Dark had the title track plus "Be Quick or be Dead".

As for X Factor, we universally dismiss it because of Blaze's performance. Otherwise, if you're objective enough, you'll accept the fact that some of the songs are pretty excellent. Aside from the obvious "Sign of the Cross", that album also features a 1-2-3-4 knockout combo of "Aftermath", "Judgement of Heaven", "Blood on the World's Hands", and "The Edge of Darkness" where that last one if simply phenomenal -- a total homage to "Hallowed be thy Name".

If they ever bring back another X Factor song to the live set, I pray it's "Edge of Darkness". Fucking any song about Apocalypse Now / Heart of Darkness is always going to rule.

So in summary, somme good tracks from the new Maiden: "These ColoUr's don't Run", "Out of the Shadows", "For the Greater Good of God", "Lord of Light", and the epic "The Legacy".....but nothing truly majestic, and Bruce is better off with Roy Z.

Erik said:
THANK YOU
the hype this album is getting is ridiculous, in 1 year none of you will compare this to the greats anymore

but this is bullshit
i'd maybe argue that fear of the dark is stronger on virtue of "judas be my guide", "afraid to shoot strangers" and "be quick or be dead" alone, but i'm pretty sure AMOLAD kills "virtual xi" and "dance of death" with ease

this new one KILLS wildest dreams. probably better than the wicker man, too.

this production is EASILY better than both previous shirley albums, while not reaching the heights of any of the 80's albums

gers wrote "the legacy", one of the most inspired and cool songs on the new album. give it a couple of spins, it's really interesting and very unusual for maiden, with an awesome bruce performance in the intro.

i'd say it's what i was expecting from maiden in 2006, no more, no less.

Ok, I agree with all here ... except the first point .... there are A LOT of songs here that can easily become live staples ... and the first disc since SIT where I would not mind hearing ANYTHING off of the entire disc live.

I also think there are NO FILLER track here at all ...

lizard said:
okay are you trying to pull your "Slayer is BACK!!!!!!!!!!" schtick again :loco:

hahaha ... not really ... I just really dig the disc. I think both Maiden and Slayer pulled off great discs which are logical extensions of their early days. Still they won't make me circle my old HS looking for chicks while blasting them from my car radio ... (hmm, maybe) :zombie:

So in summary, somme good tracks from the new Maiden: "These ColoUr's don't Run", "Out of the Shadows", "For the Greater Good of God", "Lord of Light", and the epic "The Legacy"

oddly enough, my faves are not the ones above but others, like BRIGHTER THAN A THOUSAND SUNS, THE PILGRIM and THE LONGEST DAY, the later delivering a good mix of Bruce styles ... all three heavy as fuck also.

You guys really have to stop looking at stuff from a musicians point of view. I know it's hard if you are one ...

lizard said:
I am not a musician; I evaluate the same way I evaluate art; if I like it, I like it :)

but you know, I even like pics of dogs playing poker, so make of it what you will.

i like it as well :erk: :lol:

I'm not a "musician" as such but I will admit to probably knowing almost every nuance played on a Maiden song.

Someone once said that they couldn't even tell the difference between Murray/Smith/ or Gers guitar solos...ay carumba.

As a real fan, we're talking 21 years and counting, even though I remember them on Top of the Pops back in the real early days, and seeing the Lucozade tv ads for Daley Thompson running to "Phantom of the Opera".

Bring on the next Early Days release and tour, then the world can reunite on the glory of their best era. :kickass:

no i cannot tell which solos are murray and which are smith, the gers ones are usually the sloppy 230982 notes a second ones though aren't they

i do have some grasp of their styles but i just dont generally pay attention to solos, never have

murray plays very melodic solos, normally in the blues scale

smith plays heavy metal fury solos

the two of them playing back to back is normally outstanding

gers is a teggit, he just shouldn't solo (even if his songwriting contribution is getting better)

guitar solos can actually be "songs within songs" -- see "Powerslave", "Phantom of the Opera", "The Trooper", etc. I mean, if you can listen to a solo only and identify the song, then it's probably quite a good solo.

JayKeeley said:
...if you can listen to a solo only and identify the song, then it's probably quite a good solo.
Maybe. I'd say the ability to identify a song by its solo probably has more to do with repetitive listens. I could probably identify every Motley Crue song by listening to Mick's solos, but I wouldn't call any of them "good solos".

A bit of a thread jack here, but can you name me five great solos from the last few years?

Zod

Glancing over to my iTunes, I can tell you some *recent* guitar solos that are very memorable (and IMO quite good):

Drudkh - Furrows of Gods
Agalloch - Not Unlike the Waves

which is surprising because those two artists aren't exactly "guitar solo" type bands

Bruce Dickinson - Soul FUCKING Intruders....jesus, when that solo kicks in at 2:30m

Masterplan - Soulburn -- very nice emotional playing over the last few chorus renditions...kinda what Marty Friedman used to do

Hammers of Misfortune -- August Engine PART 2 Oh my fucken lord....the whole build up from 3:45m mark onwards...and then the reprisal at 7:20m thru to end of song......jimmy page can eat a dick . GREATEST BAND TODAY.

I could probably list another dozen or so.....

General Zod said:
Would you know what song you were listening to by only hearing the solo?

Zod

Hell yes. I can't tell you how many hours/months/years I spent transcribing. [not that that has anything to do with it though]

I'll give you another:

EMPYRIUM - Mourners: THAT HOLIEST OF HOLY MOMENT at 6:00m when the riff changes into a descent...the woods begin to sleep...the sun sets....the raindrops fall....and then the ungodly solo at 7:18m where the world around you just drifts away.

THAT is a fucken solo.

fuck yeah. mourners is brilliant. i dont mean to boast but that's pretty much what it sounds like when i try to play lead (not in lethal)

its really the sort of stuff that would come from my head, it just sounds like something i would naturally write except im not really as good i guess

I can understand the song within a song concept Jay is getting at, but more the instrumental sections (Maiden-wise, Phantom and Powerslave being the most obvious examples) than just the solos and usually in bands more given to extended jamming than Maiden, I don't think they should me measured independently of the song.