Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest

Which band do you like more, Iron Maiden or Judas Priest?

• Iron Maiden

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Judas Priest

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • To damn hard to decide!

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Love both bands....have tattoos from both bands...but King Diamond & Mercyful Fate are far superior to both bands in my opinion.

Fate's riffing alone owns Maiden.
Michael Denner & Hank Shermann are much more talented players than Tipton or Downing, and as for Maiden...Gers, Murray, Smith, are all talented but Andy La Roque is technically superior & puts more emtion & feeling in his stuff then any member of Priest or Maiden....excluding Harris, because Steve is great.

Results?

Iron Maiden | Judas Priest = OWNED

hahhahahahh... sorry i thought i just read mercyful fate was better then iron maiden :loco: The king has an amazing range, but i'd take Bruce anyday... Nikko is a madman on the drums, and the dual harmonies of Adrian smith/Dave murray cannot be topped. And then their's Steve Harris, who's in a leauge all in his own... Bottom line, Maiden > Mercyful Fate

Zac said:
Love both bands....have tattoos from both bands...but King Diamond & Mercyful Fate are far superior to both bands in my opinion.

Fate's riffing alone owns Maiden.
Michael Denner & Hank Shermann are much more talented players than Tipton or Downing, and as for Maiden...Gers, Murray, Smith, are all talented but Andy La Roque is technically superior & puts more emtion & feeling in his stuff then any member of Priest or Maiden....excluding Harris, because Steve is great.

Results?

Iron Maiden | Judas Priest = OWNED
I saw this coming... But I didn't ask if Mercyful Fate was better, which in my opinion they are not as good as maiden, probably equal with Priest though. Personally I think Maiden's epics own anything almost any band makes.

Also I get to see King Diamond on the 30th, woohoo!
Watching Maiden this summer and saw Priest last summer.

Katana Overlord said:
I saw this coming... But I didn't ask if Mercyful Fate was better, which in my opinion they are not as good as maiden, probably equal with Priest though. Personally I think Maiden's epics own anything almost any band makes.

Maybe Mariner...but the studio version is boirng.
To Tame A Land is also good, but certainly not of "owning" caliber in my opinion.
As for Maiden v.s Priest...Iam going to say Maiden.

Only because Harris inspired me to play bass.
Priest are an entirely different band, I don't know why people continue to dig up this fucking fossil of a debate. Thats why I mentioned Fate, so it would be different for a change.

Zac

Judas Priest by FAR. I know Maiden will win, and that disappoints me, because everything Maiden ever did was completely derived from Sad Wings and Stained Class.

I don't think Maiden has ever sited being influenced by Priest, not to say they aren't, but I thinkt heir biggest influence would be prog bands. I know Steve Harris worshipped Genesis, and if you look at their music especially earlier stuff it has so many time changes and normally within a small period of time, which wasn't common at all at that time. As for punk influence I really think the only punk influence came from the attitude of the music DYI attitude to be exact, aside from that Dianno had a something like a punk voice, with talent, so their's that too... As a singular guitarist Dave's biggest influence was hendrix i think, and also think Dave and Adrian developped a style togther since they had been playing together for I think over 5 years before Adrian joined Maiden.

Creator_Failure said:
I think Maiden's first two albums were influenced by punk far more then the rock n roll style heard on Sad Wings.

Those are their best albums, and yeah, the Priest influence wasn't the most prevalent on there. But no, for the complete Stained Class/Sad Wings derivative, look no further than Number of the Beast and onward.

Jean-Pierre said:
Those are their best albums, and yeah, the Priest influence wasn't the most prevalent on there. But no, for the complete Stained Class/Sad Wings derivative, look no further than Number of the Beast and onward.
Judas Priest was more in traditional metal mixed with what was to come where as Iron maiden was the band that was to come. Iron maiden is the next step after Stained Class and Sad Wings Of Destiny, because Priest abandoned that path with British Steel and Point Of Entry IMO. Also Maiden seems more urgent and gallopy than Priest, even if they match speed and similar style there is a distinct difference. Also Maiden's lyrics are generally better than anything Priest made post Stained Class.

Katana Overlord said:
Judas Priest was more in traditional metal mixed with what was to come where as Iron maiden was the band that was to come. Iron maiden is the next step after Stained Class and Sad Wings Of Destiny, because Priest abandoned that path with British Steel and Point Of Entry IMO. Also Maiden seems more urgent and gallopy than Priest, even if they match speed and similar style there is a distinct difference. Also Maiden's lyrics are generally better than anything Priest made post Stained Class.

At least you acknowledge that the lyrics on Stained Class and the albums before it are excellent. I still say Priest. They have much more variation in their catalogue, and Sad Wings, Stained Class, and Painkiller just completely slay in their different ways.

Jean-Pierre said:
At least you acknowledge that the lyrics on Stained Class and the albums before it are excellent. I still say Priest. They have much more variation in their catalogue, and Sad Wings, Stained Class, and Painkiller just completely slay in their different ways.
I understand completely Priest is still an awesome band in my books, but I mostly only like the stuff from Unleashed In The East (the ebst live album ever IMO) and back I just don't like how they over simplified with British Steel, It's catchy material but every subsequent albumn always had some bad stuff on them IMO. I do like Screaming for Vengeance, Painkiller and Angel of Retribution quite a bit though.

Metal Missionary said:
I think there is quite a bit of variation between X Factor and Piece of Mind and not just because they have different singers.

I completley agree, and with that said I enjoyed "The X Factor"
The writing is darker & "modern" if you will.
Only flaw is the production, very thin sounding to my ears.

Zac said:
I completley agree, and with that said I enjoyed "The X Factor"
The writing is darker & "modern" if you will.
Only flaw is the production, very thin sounding to my ears.
I completely agree, Maiden do have variation and I also think X Factor is a good album but not one of their best, also I agree about the production. But I still think Judas Priest has a little maore variation, they experiment with cock rock and synth with Turbo, they were more complicated and more traditional, like Purple, Sabbath and Zeppelin, with the first 4 or 5 albums, then they became more like AC/DCish simplicity with Britsh Steel. They then became something else with Defenders and Screaming and finally thrashy/power metal with Painkiller. And the new one is a mixture of all the old stuff with a bit of something new. I don't all the experimentation worked for the best though.

Maiden have done lots of Synth stuff as well. (Somewhere In Time)
They also have had their share of cock rock.... Weekend Warrior? Bring Your Daughter? And of course Hooks In You, all could be put in that genre.

Funny thing is Maiden does have varied sound, however the songs that aren't in their typical arrangment, are considered crap by most.