Is anything actually gained by recording at 24 bit 48Khz??

shred101

Nov 26, 2009
Since I like my music to have the ability to go onto 16 bit 44Khz media (aka CD's)?
Whats the point in recording at higher bit/sample rates when I end up dithering down anyway? Dont you lose all the benefits of higher sample/bit rates during dithering?

Going 24 bit instead of 16 bit gives you more headroom and a lower noise floor so you don't have to track as hot, this is good for converters as they tend to work best at around 0Vu, which roughly equates to about -18dbfs in your DAW.

The main advantage of higher sampling rates I think is that you will get less artifacts if you're timestretching, though going down from 48k to 44.1k is possibly going to cause a loss in quality, there's also sidebands to consider aswell.

Have a read of this: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb08/articles/digitalaudio.htm
Some good info in there.

LOL For the record I tried searching and it was whinging big time because the word "bit" was too short! :lol:

Bit depth :erk: I stand corrected on this terminology as usual.

I understand that so far... im just wondering if all that is retained once its been dithered down to CD format.

I understand that so far... im just wondering if all that is retained once its been dithered down to CD format.

Even just for the improved noise floor it's worth going 24 bit imo. You might not notice the difference at first but once you've recorded a whole bunch of tracks, compressed alot of them and then done some compression and limiting in mastering you should notice a significantly lower noise floor on the end product.

I've never bothered using anything over 44.1KHz.
Maybe the benefits are there for jazz or classical, but for rock or metal with blaring guitars, bass and drums? I doubt it

+1

Most stuff from metal to pop music is done at 24 bit 44.1k these days, was just reading an old article about the Lady Gaga record, all done at 44.1/24 I dont see the advantage of using 48k unless your going straight to a post production project/video source

Do you happen to have a link to that article dude? I'm a sell out as well you see!

Robert Ortons quote:

"I used 44.1kHz/24-bit for ‘Just Dance’; 96k does sound great, but the large file sizes are a hassle: everything takes twice as long and it’s a pain to do backups. There are other factors that make a far bigger difference to the sound than just the sample rate, and I prefer to focus on them.”

Robert Ortons quote:

"I used 44.1kHz/24-bit for ‘Just Dance’; 96k does sound great, but the large file sizes are a hassle: everything takes twice as long and it’s a pain to do backups. There are other factors that make a far bigger difference to the sound than just the sample rate, and I prefer to focus on them.”

I was just listening to the record and noticed something really odd. The word "dance" he mentions is panned left. However, when listening on the album, it appears that its in fact panned right. If you listen to the single on youtube however, it is panned left :lol:

I was just listening to the record and noticed something really odd. The word "dance" he mentions is panned left. However, when listening on the album, it appears that its in fact panned right. If you listen to the single on youtube however, it is panned left :lol:

o_0?! they're trying to tell us something.