Is Buddy Rich the Best Drummer Ever?

DustyV

Jan 21, 2010
I've never had the chance to hear Buddy Rich do a solo before, well, until now............

Jesus Christ!!! :OMG:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's nothin'. Lars Ulrich could play that in his sleep. :Smokedev:

Lmfao. Almost a good troll, but no one here could possibly take it seriously.

And Buddy Rich is certainly up there. My dad's a drummer, and a hue fan of his, thus I have had many chances to marvel at his beastliness.

Yes, he is. When Neil Peart RE-learns how to play jazz style I believe because of Buddy. Well, that says it all. Plus nothing beats this video from when I was a kid.

I actually don't like it when people compare Buddy and Neil. I mean, they both play different styles of music, and they are both great in their OWN way.... I don't know why so many people have to try and compare them. It's kind of like the My mom is better than your mom 12 year old mentality, I just don't get it....

Best drummer ever?

Buddy Rich is a great point, but I can't say he's the best...
He's definitely in what I think would be the top 5 drummers of all time.
Never ever compare Buddy to Neil, that's against the rules. It's like dividing zero. It's not a fair argument.
Tommy Lee to me is a *facepalm*

Who do I say if not Buddy? I dunno. Bill Bruford is probably the smartest and most ridiculous drummer I can think of off the top of my head. I need to do research.

These threads are always fun though.

I had the pleasure of listening to Buddy Rich when he was in Tommy Dorsey's band back in the day (Thanks to my father, may he rest in peace). Through Tommy Dorsey's albums, you got to hear the genius that was Buddy Rich. What was even more remarkable was that Rich was self-taught and he never practiced. That man had ability and talent that could only have been God-given. I have seen such nonsense like Tommy Lee and Lars Ulrich mentioned in this thread. Those two do not belong in the same STATE as Buddy Rich, never mind the same sentence. However, I will say that Neil Peart is probably as close to being a Rich-incarnate as any modern drummer will. FWIW, I consider Peart to be thr finest drummer in the last 40 years. But, he is a notch below one man who was probably the greatest drummer to walk the planet.

That man was Bernard "Buddy" Rich.

You don't listen to much King Crimson then, I guess? :p
Neil is great don't get me wrong. But he's much more straight forward of a Rock-Prog drummer than an everything drummer. That's why I like Bill. He was an educated Jazz guy from his Yes days, and he's not afraid to show it. Jazz can translate to anything if you have a good sense and aptitude of the drum set.

I had the pleasure of listening to Buddy Rich when he was in Tommy Dorsey's band back in the day (Thanks to my father, may he rest in peace). Through Tommy Dorsey's albums, you got to hear the genius that was Buddy Rich. What was even more remarkable was that Rich was self-taught and he never practiced. That man had ability and talent that could only have been God-given. I have seen such nonsense like Tommy Lee and Lars Ulrich mentioned in this thread. Those two do not belong in the same STATE as Buddy Rich, never mind the same sentence. However, I will say that Neil Peart is probably as close to being a Rich-incarnate as any modern drummer will. FWIW, I consider Peart to be thr finest drummer in the last 40 years. But, he is a notch below one man who was probably the greatest drummer to walk the planet.

That man was Bernard "Buddy" Rich.

I agree, name me one other drummer who's not only self-taught but also who never really practiced who's as good as Buddy Rich? I bet ya can't find one...... :)

For those of you who don't know, Bellson helped innovate the use of the double bass drum

since ya'll got me on a jazz roll

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN9sp6ApX4o&list=PLCFB36F9544EF5152[/ame]

Just the freakin instrumentation let alone the placement of the horns is bad ass

- 70s era Stan Kenton is phenomenal.

- I got to play the lead on baritone with our trumpet player on this back in high school. Amazing amazing album.

And I'm seeing these guys next year :D

Arturo Sandoval for the second time around!!!!!

Pat Metheny w/ Chris Potter on Sax = a pat metheny group I can dig

The amazing Chick Corea... though I don't get to see him with Hiromi :\

[/end jazz video spam & derailing]

I actually don't like it when people compare Buddy and Neil. I mean, they both play different styles of music, and they are both great in their OWN way.... I don't know why so many people have to try and compare them. It's kind of like the My mom is better than your mom 12 year old mentality, I just don't get it....

Wasn't a comparison, it was saying Neil was influenced so much by Buddy that Neil re-taught himself how to play drums in a new way. Yes, Neil is a masterful drummer, but what does it say when he goes back to learn more and in a new style? says a lot to me, also a drummer.

Wasn't a comparison, it was saying Neil was influenced so much by Buddy that Neil re-taught himself how to play drums in a new way. Yes, Neil is a masterful drummer, but what does it say when he goes back to learn more and in a new style? says a lot to me, also a drummer.

I still think that Avery the 6 year old Drummer(the youtube sensation) will give them all a run for their money once he's fully developed.

That kid is so scary and he gets noticeably better every week!!! and he plays like it's absolutely effortless........He's starting to get noticed more and more though. Hitting talk shows and playing live with a Kiss cover band.

I still think that Avery the 6 year old Drummer(the youtube sensation) will give them all a run for their money once he's fully developed.

That kid is so scary and he gets noticeably better every week!!! and he plays like it's absolutely effortless........He's starting to get noticed more and more though. Hitting talk shows and playing live with a Kiss cover band.

yes, kid makes it look effortless. that is talent in a nutshell.

No, and I am a drummer. He was fantastic but theres a difference between being great and being "the best ever". I bet there are so many incredible drummers you don't even know about like Akira Jimbo for instance.