Is Extinct Instinct the most progressive Threshold album?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
If not, which one do you think is their most progressive piece of work? I have been on a Threshold kick lately. I am playing Extinct Instinct every day to and back from work. I forgot what a killer disc this is. At times, I am reminded of Psychedelicatessen, my personal favourite Threshold disc. I feel Damian Wilson's singing on some of the songs is easily comparable to the style of Glynn Morgan. I can't help but wonder if some of these songs were written with Morgan in mind. I think the writing on Extinct Instinct takes on a more unexpected turn with lots of proggy passages and sounds like a logical continuation of the great Psychdelicatessen.

Does anyone feel the same way or has the band talked about this in interviews or something? If yes, I would like to read them.

From the Mac era, there is always the great Hypothetical, which is an excellent blend of atmospheres and prog, but from a musical standpoint Extinct Instinct has its very distinct character.

What do you guys think?

Definitely agree (EI is the kind of album you listen again and again and every time you discover a little bit that you never noticed before), thus I think that the other "most progressive" album is actually Subsurface

Does anyone feel the same way or has the band talked about this in interviews or something? If yes, I would like to read them.

Check out http://www.thresh.net/beyond/ where we do try and explore the tracks in each issue of Beyond.

You can find links to all the previous issues under "Articles" on the right hand side of the page.

If there is a particular track or two you want to know about email us at beyond@thresh.net and we will see if we can move them up the list! You can even ask a question and we'll try and find someone to answer it.

Personally I think EI is the most proggy whereas DR is the most progressive. But I guess it all comes down to definitions!!!