Is In Flames still melodeath?

Is In Flames still melodeath?

• Yes

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters
In my opinion: In Flames are still melodic death metal. Sure, there is a development of styles, and new ideas that have sprung up. But the bottom line is: In Flames invented Melodic Death Metal together with ATG and DT, this still sounds alot like Melo-Death, the guitars are there, the harsh vocals, they´ve used synths, clean vocals and samples since Colony, I see a progressive evolution, not a huge change after Clayman.
Weather you wanna call them melodic death metal or not depends on how you define melo-death. I define melodic death metal as melodic metal, with dual guitars, some usage of double-bass, hard guitarwork but still melodic and catchy. I find that In Flames still fits that description.
If you then say: "We can´t call In Flames melo-death, cause they don´t sound like death metal!!" Do you honestly think that any In Flames album sounds like cannibal corpse? Even the Jester Race has some catchy hooks, and still has those elements that describe melo-death.

EDIT: Just struck me: If you think that the "At The Gates" sound is the only thing that should be classified as Melo-Death, don´t include In Flames. In Flames was influenced by At The Gates, but has never sounded that similar IMO. The Jester Race is hugely different from "Slaughter of the Soul"

In my opinion: In Flames are still melodic death metal.
Good call.
But the bottom line is: In Flames invented Melodic Death Metal together with ATG and DT
That's a bad reason - Bathory pioneered black metal but would you call Nordland black metal?
I see a progressive evolution, not a huge change after Clayman.
In fact, this one is even a bit of a regression towards the sound on Clayman.

If you then say: "We can´t call In Flames melo-death, cause they don´t sound like death metal!!" Do you honestly think that any In Flames album sounds like cannibal corpse? Even the Jester Race has some catchy hooks, and still has those elements that describe melo-death.

EDIT: Just struck me: If you think that the "At The Gates" sound is the only thing that should be classified as Melo-Death, don´t include In Flames. In Flames was influenced by At The Gates, but has never sounded that similar IMO. The Jester Race is hugely different from "Slaughter of the Soul"
BAD.
First, this board more or less hates SotS. But the more valid comparison would be Lunar Strain and With Fear or Terminal Spirit...and it's a somewhat valid comparison.

Anyway, let's rank IF albums now (from most to least favorite):

1) Reroute to Remain
2) Whoracle
3) Jester Race
4) Come Clarity
5) Clayman
6) Colony
7) Lunar Strain
8) Soundtrack

1. Subterranean
2. The Jester Race
3. Clayman
4. Lunar Strain
5. Colony
6. Whoracle
7. Come Clarity
and STYE and R2R I don't want to list, as they just pull the list down...