Is it just me or is it hard to get a good impulse sound??

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
Now dont get me wrong im still new at this
Could someone point me in the right direction for me to start with impulses??

I got the idea of how they work, i got wagner sharp, and boogex and some cab sims just to play with i scored off here!!!

But this seems to interesting to just let it down cause the sound can be horrible??

Any tips would help and advice would be better, good programs,etc,etc

Just start weeding thru them, I have about 2 to 300 hundred I've collected and about 10 work for me. Seems like most are really mid heavy, so in Boogex I usally turn the mid knob down until it "evens" out . Just my take

I'm not using much stuff to get my sound. I have my Line6 UX2 with Gearbox and the metalpack. I use the big bottom model with the greener allmost every time for guitars. For impulses I use Sir2 or Boogex. My favourite impulse is sneap edge from guitar hack. to get rid of some low end I use a modified Andy Sneap C4 setting that fits to my guitarsound. that's it. I quadtrack all my stuff.

sounds like that:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=801612&songID=7168568

I here you! Cant seam to get anything to sound really nice either.

Would be nice if someone put out some full presets/ screenshots and show the full chain to get that evil cool sound from those DI tracks

hmm.. you guys having problems with making them sound good; can you post the clean-DI and your impulsed tone? I'd like to have a shot at it :)

I'm not using much stuff to get my sound. I have my Line6 UX2 with Gearbox and the metalpack. I use the big bottom model with the greener allmost every time for guitars. For impulses I use Sir2 or Boogex. My favourite impulse is sneap edge from guitar hack. to get rid of some low end I use a modified Andy Sneap C4 setting that fits to my guitarsound. that's it. I quadtrack all my stuff.

sounds like that:

Is it possible for you to upload that specific impulse for me? GH has made a lot :p

I don't think its that hard- some of them sound crap but if you load up a few of GH packs there a few decent ones in each. If you want to make sure that its not you using it wrong use the GH Final! impulse as its a really nice one. Make sure you have the dry sound off too otherwise it'll just sound terrible!

sounds like that:

Where and how can i get the andy sneap stuff??

It sounds pretty good its something that would gimme a head start in what im looking for (if thats what sound your using)

c4 setings also?? Man i love that EQ

Thanks guys oh yae one more thing I cant figure out how to turn off the dry tone in Boogex?/ could someone help
Awesome :headbang: is MK 11 is an example??

Where and how can i get the andy sneap stuff??

It sounds pretty good its something that would gimme a head start in what im looking for (if thats what sound your using)

c4 setings also?? Man i love that EQ

Thanks guys oh yae one more thing I cant figure out how to turn off the dry tone in Boogex?/ could someone help
Awesome :headbang: is MK 11 is an example??

I'm almost certain the "sneap edge" impulse is in one of guitarhacks sets.

I don't know, I always have a much easier time getting good tone out of impulses than I do micing a cab.. I'm constantly trying to get as good a tone from micing as I do from impulses. Impulse tracks are always way more clean, tight, and polished.

[UEAK]Clowd;7908218 said:
I don't know, I always have a much easier time getting good tone out of impulses than I do micing a cab.. I'm constantly trying to get as good a tone from micing as I do from impulses. Impulse tracks are always way more clean, tight, and polished.

The room and volume affects the impulse a lot. Good sounding impulses are usually done in a good room and at a decent volume to get speaker movement.

i suck as impulses, and they seem to hate me with a passion when it comes to creating a tone im happy with ..... I am way better with a real amp, or a pod xt. i havent found an impulse that i can match even close to the best tone of a real amp or one the tweaked pods patches so far... i can get ok results nothign i would considerable useable in a real production but fine for demo work.......i dont think impulses can hold up to the professional market yet unless theres a magical plug that im unfamiliar with???? that doesnt sound all digital...... ive tried basically everything with limited success...

It seems im gonna need a better sounding gain plug- in other then wagner sharp......Unless there is some preset i need to know about??

That is one rough n shitty

I like the wagner sharp plug -in, I still use the first one instead of MKII, I have it I just find it easier to get a good tone right out with the wagner. I used to think it was too trebley and lacked low end but now I realise that while it is a little harsh, that high end is needed in a mix and the low end I was sure I was missing got really nicely filled out with bass and drums.

If you find wagner sharps not your cup of tea try Dirthead, its a different high gain beast, I've found when quad tracking that having 2 wagner and 2 dirthead is a nice mix instead of 4 X wagner. I don't like it on its own though, too buzzy and it takes alot more eqing to sound nice, fits well with the Wagner though!

I don't use boogex, I use SIR 1. It's easier and if you don't track with it active there's no need to worry about latency at all. I've not got a nice room at all so I find it alot easier to get a nice tone with impulses although in the long run it'll stand to you better to have alot of experience micing a cab.

I've got to experiment more with TS's and such in front of these plugs though- I've got that BSS one and i think its shite but others rave about it, got a few more i've not messed with much