1st impulse attempt vht cab vintage 30s

reneisgod

Rene
Aug 28, 2006
Scotland
en-gb.facebook.com
http://upload2.net/page/download/2DCOxkjHjIkX8oG/fredman+2_dc.wav.html

cab = 2x12 vht deliverance cab big bottom (v 30s)
power amp - marshall 50/50 dual monoblock
mics - shure 57, sennheiser (fredman technique)

The clip was recorded at fairly loud volume, but there is a problem ! and id like feedback on how to fix it.
when comparing this to the likes of guitar hacks or splatts impulses i noticed my impulse didnt sound as direct or clean it had more of a distance roomy going on, but it shouldnt ! ive used fairly decent gear the right mics !

Can some of you guys try this impulse out and give me some pointers the impulse sounds exactly the same as the miced sound so its not the actual catpuring of the impulse im having problems on. This just isnt a good enough miced sound for me.

Also i have access to alot of different cabs and id like to share them with you guys but only when im getting the best from the gear im recording.

So if anyone can help me improve this i will record more cabs and share the impulses.

thanks

haha just to intrigue some help/advice i have access to a bognar/jcm800/5150 cab/s
and basically what i want to do it create impulses from the lot including decent ones of the VHT.
so if you guys want em ur gonna have to help me haha (nothing like a bit of blackmailing)

Im going to give the VHT another go tonight using just 1 sm57 and my peavey 6505 to power the cab.
I will post clips later.

any tips ?

Im hopeing these turn out alot better then ill move onto the bogner and jcm cabs.

thanks for getting us more impulses! I will try that one sometime this week, don't know when exactly...don't know whether I can be of any help to improve your mic positions, but I will try to give some input.

cheers man any help should proove to be hugely beneficial to most people on this forum, especially if i can get this nailed and get the bognar impulses done
but at the moment theres just the whole roomy/distant thing going and i cant figure out why argh, i mean this impulse isnt too bad i think its usuable its just not as good as it should be.

haha ill post the bognar to guitarhack and he can mic it up and make some impulses of it :worship:

the kinda advice im really lookin for is stuff like should i be using the 50/50 monoblock
or the peavey 5150, where should i put the mic, how loud should the cab be maybe there some other
little things im missing out that would improve the sound n so on : )
oh and im using voxengo deconvolver to proces the files and im using the test sweep that comes with it.

I think you could try to cut the tail on the impulse...
Try KeFIR as cab-sim, so you can choose the lenght of the impulse that processes the signal and test if it sound better without a portion of the tail.
Just to make some fast tests

I dont think its the tail of the impulse thats bad i think just as a whole therea mic placement issues and so on, if you try my impulse vs guitarhacks you can here how clean and in your face his impulse sounds compared to mine, it shouldnt be a gear issue these VHT deliverance cabs r pritty tasty and in my eyes the 50/50 mono block is one hell of a poweramp. Its just left me with so many questions to why it aint up to standard.
Anyways ill be giving it another bash tonight so as i said any pointers and so on would be very helpfull anything i can put into practice tonight.

I think the problem of this particular impulse is not the tail. To me it sounds more like a phase issue between the two mics. I would advise you to try one mic first, or pan the two mics tracks left and right in the stereo impulse.
As well it sounds like the mics are too far away from the cab/speaker and are capturing too much ambiance.

A good starting point for the mic placement on v30 is one inch from the grill, against the corner of the dust cap of the speaker.

Good luck!

definetly no distance here the mics were practically touching cloth thats why im rather confused on where the ambiance is coming from here.
i agree with the phase issue hence why im going for the 1 mic tonight instead of the 2.

isnt one inch from the grill kinda far ?

dunno if this would work or should be taken seriously but i also have a Peavey PVM22 Diamond Series Microphone
should i even bother trying this mic out ? ive had it for years cant remember why i stopped using it haha.

is it a possible factor that my mic pre was too loud and this is where the extra ambience is coming from ?
also i want to try it using my peavey 6505 tonight will i just pump the signal through the clean channel ?

on the subject of mic pre how much should i boosting there gain with the mic pre ?
wont boosting it just pic up more of the room sound ?

maybe tonight i should try no boost on the mic pre ?

any thoughts ?

is it a possible factor that my mic pre was too loud and this is where the extra ambience is coming from ?
Certainly, in case that the pre compresses or distorts the signal.

also i want to try it using my peavey 6505 tonight will i just pump the signal through the clean channel ?
If you use the clean channel, the impulse response of the system will pick up the clean channel influence too. So, to avoid that I'll advise you to use the fx loop return input of the amp.

In fact you can use the signal of the drive channel of your amp instead of the sweeping sinusoid signal. You just record two tracks: one directly from the fx loop send and the other miced through the cab, then add short silence at the end of the miced track and do the convolution with the voxengo soft.

The idea of the impulse response is to probe your electro-acoustic system with a wide-frequency-featured "probe" signal and record how your electro-acoustic system will react to it.
Well, instead of using the sweeping sinusoid wav file to "probe" your amp/cab/mic electro-acoustic system, you can use a few riffs of overdriven guitars chords coming right out of the guitar amp's preamp. The convolution operation cannot really tell the difference.

So, you just have to plug your guitar into the amp, select the drive channel, play for a while, and record two tracks simultaneously: 1) the signal directly after the preamp of the amp and 2) through a miced cab. Then add 100 ms silence in the end of the miced track and make convolution between the two tracks using the direct recorded as "test tone file" in Voxengo Deconvolver.

Hope it's clearer this time.

for the test tone gen should i just be using

outbit depth 24
sample rate 44100
duration 3 seconds ?

i tried more clips tonight but the sounded even worse than my 1st attemp
i used the peavey fx return haha ill be scrapping that and moving back to the mono block for these i think.

:cry: