is it ok my RME FF400 Hi z input for DI recording with active EMG 81?

laszlozsolt82

Feb 5, 2010
Cluj Napoca, Romania
is it ok my RME FF400 Hi z input for DI recording with active EMG 81? or i shuld spend 170 eu on a DI box like radial JDI?it will be a big difference?
is there anybody out there recording straight to RME with active 81? or had the chance to compare recording with a dedicated instrument DI?

This thread is a few months old, but I too would be interested to hear any comparison clips between the DI of the Fireface 400 and an external DI unit.

If anyone could do some comparison clips I would really appreciate it.

the instrument input on fireface 800 (channel 1) is NOT ok for di guitar

even with the settings changed (no emulation / limiter off) it still cuts off transients some how

I have tried the 800 hiz input, compared with my radial j48 di with my guitar , and the result is absolutely good with both of them, so i can tell you that ther's no difference at all.......and also the ramped sound, sound the same.

the instrument input on fireface 800 (channel 1) is NOT ok for di guitar

even with the settings changed (no emulation / limiter off) it still cuts off transients some how

+1
The instrument input on the Fireface 800 is pretty bad.
But I heard some people saying the one on the Fireface 400 is very good. But I haven't had the chance to see if its true.
Maybe they changed it in the FF400

That's interesting about the Redeye....hmm...

I must admit, the DI's on my FF400 sound pretty damn good. But I'm still curious as to whether or not there would be any noticeable improvement with an external DI box. Since the Redeye is a highly praised DI - if it really does sound just as good as the FF400 then that is interesting. Especially considering the whole article about the "Fake Hi-Z inputs" on the Fireface and how it lacks the 1Mohm standard.

Well, things sound way fatter when I used my countryman 85 instead of the Fireface Hi Z in.