Is it possible to limit certain frequencies?

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
Ive been doing referencing between snares lately.

I found a really nice solo snare in a song i really like so i decided to look at it using a spectrum analyzer.

I noticed the snare has a boost at 195hz and goes no higher than -36db.

So i loaded a few of my samples and i noticed that a lot of them boost around 200hz and to about -30db (louder) so i was wondering hypothetically speaking is there a way to limit 190-210hz frequencies and only those? or should i just carve a little bit using an EQ?

Sure just remove a bit of 190-210hz with a high q factor so you only affect this frequency range. You can look at an eq as if it was a fader just with the difference of only lowering or boosting certain parts of the signal. Hope this helps.

Use a multiband compressor. I use one on my snares all the time in the 700-1000 range if the snare is too ringy. Not only is it less ring, it keeps the amount consistent, as opposed to cutting with EQ, in which the really loud rings will still be louder than the others.

Limiting is theoretically the same as compressing with a very high ratio, so I suppose a multiband compressor with the ratio set to something like 100:1 would do the job. Although you would probably just want to actually compress, try experimenting with different ratios/settings

Compression is considered a limiter when the compression ratio is greater that 10:1
I know that some plugins go to way higher "compression" ratio, but anyway...