Is Joe Satriani a guitar god or overrated beyond belief player ?

BoogieMk1

Jun 25, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
personally.................i cannot abide satriani music, all that whammy, fingertapping, squeals and noises , divebombing and flash harry trickery..............oh gawd, what a yawn it has become.

take a guy like dave gilmour who can literally make a gtr weep..now that is what i deem music, the touch, the melody and the emotion, not endless fingertapping etc.............

im a player of advanced standard of 23 yrs playing and satriani literally bores me into submission..............there must be a wealth of players here, is he a god here or are there members who cant stand his "stuff" to a similar degree?

I have 2 satriani albums and have seen him live. Its impressive to watch and hear. If you want to hear it for emotion then its not good but if you wanna hear/see him for entertainment its cool. When i hear the music all it sounds like is a backing track and him on his own which is pretty dull. I prefer music like dream theater where all the bands members have talent not just the main bloke.

Satriani is far more that just technical skill, he has plenty of emotion and melody. Songs like Lights of Heaven and Always With Me With You. I also do agree that David Gilmour is one of the most emotional guitarists ever. He can make the guitar weep

Benzine said:
I have 2 satriani albums and have seen him live. Its impressive to watch and hear. If you want to hear it for emotion then its not good but if you wanna hear/see him for entertainment its cool. When i hear the music all it sounds like is a backing track and him on his own which is pretty dull. I prefer music like dream theater where all the bands members have talent not just the main bloke.

AGREED! If there is one thing I fucking hate it's when guiter soloist play their little guitar and the backing music sounds like NSYNC trying to make a rock album. SO FUCKING STUPID!

BoogieMk1 said:

take a guy like dave gilmour who can literally make a gtr weep..now that is what i deem music, the touch, the melody and the emotion, not endless fingertapping etc.............

I think Satriani is awesome, but Gilmour is better :)

ok since when did this thread become a popularity contest? the titel of it is "Is Joe Satriani a guitar god or overrated beyond belief player ?", is it not?

Ok here's my 2 cents... why would u even ask a question like that? Satriani obviously has skills, or he wouldn't be in the G3. Satriani is far from overrated. Along the lines of pure skill, he's unbelievable. You are asking is he a GUITAR GOD, not MUSIC GOD, so emotion and backing instruments shouldn't even enter into that. Satriani is definitely a guitar god.

Five words: Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing.

Of course he is a genius. And comparing him to Dave Gilmour is ridiculous - it's like pitching Slayer against Beethoven.

i cannot deny satch is a proficient player....no probs there.

talking comparisons, say dave gilmour to joe satriani, i see gilmour as an outpouring of every human emotion portrayed by a guitar, i see satch as 5 hrs at an insurance company annual general meeting about shareholders and stock values......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

its just that i think he is sooooooooooooooooooo boring, one song just running into the other, whamming, tapping and a routine of cringeworthy guitar. i wholly agree with the positivity relating to vai, he is a "true" virtuoso, not in the yngwie sense, he is way higher than that, the dude has IMHO one of the worst gtr tones ive ever heard, pure plastic and i think those ibanez are woeful, but man...............can he play, he was zappa right hand man, alongside mike keneally , two of the finest players around.

i deny satch the guitar god title, he CAN play.............but to me, whats the point in releasing so dated 80s guitar and not moving forward ......just my 2 cents and good replies so far dudes. :D

To each his own.

I love the Ibanzez sound for both Satch and Vai (and Skolnick). I think "Surfing with the Alien" is a godsend to guitarists everywhere.

I also appreciate Gilmour obviously, but I still wouldn't draw any comparison. They're totally different musicians playing different types of music.

I totally respect your opinion, but I think your point isn't whether Gilmour is better than Satch, I think you're just saying that you don't like shred-type music. And with regards to the guitar tones being 'woeful', well, I don't want to hear Vinnie Moore or George Lynch sweeping appregios on a Fender Telecaster.

So when it comes to this type of music, there are few who can play better than Satch. Yes, people might have their preferences, but he cannot be denied of his god-like status therefore. He's been way too important and influential for the scene.

This has obviously become a battle of personal preferences... Like NocturnalSun & JayKeeley said, you can't say he's over-rated, the man does have skills and is a great guitar player whether you enjoy his music or not. Simply because you find it boring does not constitute his music as lesser in quality, emotion, or appeal. You're entitled to your opinion.... but that's all it is.

~Sh0k~

I'm not a Satch fan as such, but not because of any overdoing of techniques, moreso just the fact that I don't connect with any of his songs. I do appreciate the talent he has and I think he's done a lot for the status of instrumental guitar music, for which I and anyone else following in the same path owe him.

I find Satriani very boring, so for me he's very overrated. There are many instrumental guitar players I prefer, Vinnie Moore, Jason Becker, Tony MacAlpine, Steve Vai, ... even Petrucci (I think is overrated too).

TONY MACALPINE---------------yes, that is a player with taste, touch, passion, melody and ball busting chops SPARINGLY used, big thumbs up for him.

y`see, with satch its all......WHAMMY WHAMMY WHOOO WHOOO FINGER TAP DIVE BOMB SQUEAL TAP SOME MORE PLAY SCALES

HOW BORING IS THAT ?

BoogieMk1 said:
TONY MACALPINE---------------yes, that is a player with taste, touch, passion, melody and ball busting chops SPARINGLY used, big thumbs up for him.

y`see, with satch its all......WHAMMY WHAMMY WHOOO WHOOO FINGER TAP DIVE BOMB SQUEAL TAP SOME MORE PLAY SCALES

HOW BORING IS THAT ?

I got a satch dvd and I love it, I don't see how he is boring at all. he has a few slow songs that are great, but most are high paced.