Is Philosophy Not That Important?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Really, Philosophy seems like a very self-important genre. Is it? Has it perhaps carved out a niche of inflated importance, when in fact, its not terribly important at all?

What are universal moral laws? Theories of Everything? Is there a One of perfection? Can we not better find morality in everyday life, in history and values? Is objectivity on anything even possible? Are great philosophical ideas waiting to be discovered? Or is everything value-driven; ideas are merely practices waiting to be re-constructed, waiting to be made due to their utility, ever-changing and morphing with the times.

Hence, perhaps most of philosophy and its lofty aims are pointless?

What are universal moral laws? a small part of philosophy---a small part even of ethics.
Theories of Everything? science?
Is there a One of perfection? huh?
Can we not better find morality in everyday life, in history and values? no
Is objectivism on anything even possible? I think you mean 'objectivity' rather than Ayn Rand's Objectivism, and to some degree, no, and in much of that where it cannot be, it may not be necessary anyway.
Are great philosophical ideas waiting to be discovered? maybe

I'm curious as to your motives with this post.

When I'm spending my time drunk, with friends, with a girl or otherwise engaged I sometimes look to the pedantry of philosophy with disdain.

I'm curious as to your motives with this post.

When I'm spending my time drunk, with friends, with a girl or otherwise engaged I sometimes look to the pedantry of philosophy with disdain.

Same feeling. I have it with history too.

:lol:

Yep. I often stand outside the intellectual castle I've built for myself and think I'm much happier out here drunk and contented.

of course; when you're happy you don't care about anything else.

still, I'm with Aristotle on this, education "is an ornament in prosperity, and a refuge in adversity."

of course; when you're happy you don't care about anything else.

still, I'm with Aristotle on this, education "is an ornament in prosperity, and a refuge in adversity."

Yes, happiness is the big thing, and something philosophy hasnt been interested in since the Greeks (although B. Russell wrote a nice little book on happiness).

Yes, happiness is the big thing, and something philosophy hasnt been interested in since the Greeks (although B. Russell wrote a nice little book on happiness).

:) it's one of my three focuses; the main thing I like Aristotle for, and what I appreciate most of Schopenhauer. It's also my among my strongest disagreements with Ayn Rand and perhaps even Sartre.

I still haven't found myself to read Conquest of Happiness yet though, only reviews of it :(. I don't know if I've even checked if it's online (probably have since I've stored away everything else of his I could track down on the net), but I know my library hasn't got it---and no doubt they have every harry potter... meh they're not a school though are they.

you know if the full text of Religion and Science is online? I managed to find a chapter or two, but not the whole thing yet (I've found it abridged in audio, but it would be nice to have the text also)

I imagine rigorous thought / analysis is only ever really applied when there is a problem perceived. Philosophy is probably the broadest, most long term approach one can take to a problem, a pre-cursor to further action. (Even if that further action may be mere acceptance)

I find the original question difficult because of it's open ended nature - important to *what*? I believe philosophy is useful for myself and many others in the attainment of greater happiness / less suffering.

Without contact with higher / more powerful forms of thinking, it is very hard to know that there is more capacity within ones own self. A year ago I could have responded to all manner of questions with a measure of confidence - the answers would have been simplistic and lacking in depth. I have become a more powerful thinker (hopefully with far more to go, of course) and realise now just how little I really 'know' and just how much is accepted at face value. An upside of this realisation (and the knowledge / thoughts that caused it) is a little more power, and a little more 'inner peace'.

When I feel powerful and strong internally, and feel the world is wrong externally, I find most value in Western philosophy. A recent episode causing substantial internal weakness had me finding a lot of comfort and strength in Buddhism.

I'm rambling now, been a while since I've posted :lol:

This leads me to ask if philosophising is the pursuit of those that are unhappy?

yea. shit I had a note on that somewhere, to the effect that only when things are bad do we want change, and obviously when we want change is when we feel that we require understanding, knowledge, etc. so as to be able to intelligently bring about change... who needs to understand how the television works if one doesn't need to fix it, the ignorance isn't harmful and such wisdom isn't at all necessary enough to warrant the effort.

bugs me when I can't find sumn in my notes lol

lol found it *relaxes*
happy.gif

"ndoubtedly, it is the knowledge of death, and therewith, the consideration of the suffering and misery of life that gives the strongest impulse to philosophical reflections." - Schopenhauer

to further action. (Even if that further action may be mere acceptance)

I find the original question difficult because of it's open ended nature - important to *what*? I believe philosophy is useful for myself and many others in the attainment of greater happiness / less suffering.

I finished some Rorty--first philosophy book Ive read in awhile--and pretty much have been oblivious to philosophy since.

I finished some Rorty--first philosophy book Ive read in awhile--and pretty much have been oblivious to philosophy since.

Which Rorty? I was thinking of reading some myself(I've not read any of his work) - what prompted your oblivion in particular?

Which Rorty? I was thinking of reading some myself(I've not read any of his work) - what prompted your oblivion in particular?

The Mirror of Nature. Honestly, there's a great deal I skimmed through as I am not a philosophy major. But, I came away with my previously held thought that 99% of philosophy since Descartes (or after my beloved Montaigne) is perhaps a pointless pedantic exercise in keeping academic philosophy alive.

Rorty's arguments for some of the radical-seeming conclusions are not all that great, especially when he relies on his interpretations of some points raised by W. V. O. Quine and Donald Davidson.

Really, Philosophy seems like a very self-important genre.

Philosophy is meta-physics: finding patterns in information that are not evident in physicality.

Of course it's important. This idiot serf-society won't recognize that, but for those who don't want to become the eternal idiot, it's quite important.